How can I start an alternative avatar ?

Cougo5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have heard about this possibility and read various posts about running "alts" but in seach I could not find any reference to HOW TO get one going. Also would ot have to show my log-in name under the display name? I would like to have two separate identities with radically different avatars for different sims I frequent. Much Thanks-Cougo

Why the second E Mail Address?

Your email address and other details may be the same as your first account, but of course, your Second Life username] is different.

Cost

Your first basic account is free, and so are a few alternate accounts.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alt_account_policies

Nefertiti Nefarious wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

So when you have your IMs forwarded to e-mail, each avatar's IMs are in separate accounts.

Thats not a positive aspect, if you ask me. Who wants to log into two email accounts just for checking messages from SL?

Nefertiti Nefarious wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

So when you have your IMs forwarded to e-mail, each avatar's IMs are in separate accounts.

That would be a matter of personal preference (nothing wrong with that). 

It was being stated as a necessity.

It's a valid suggestion. Some people prefer to keep things separate. Plus, if you use one avatar for joining groups and signing up for sub-os  you will get tons of announcements. Not everyone wants all of those on their personal main email account or main avatar's email account. (As the case might be.)

Also I admit I thought each signup required a new email. That might not be so, come to think of it.

I like things sorted, personally. The OP can decide, but it's a valid option.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Your email address and other details may be the same as your first account, but of course, your Second Life
 is different.

True, you can have multiple accounts under the same email address.

I read this the other day though that made me think it might be worth mentioning.

32px-KBwarning.png Warning: If you registered multiple Second Life accounts with the same email address, you will be able to retrieve the username of only your first account. This is a known system limitation. Before you ever have to use this form, write down your usernames somewhere you'll remember!

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Your email address and other details may be the same as your first account, but of course, your Second Life
 is different.

True, you can have multiple accounts under the same email address.

I read this the other day though that made me think it might be worth mentioning.

32px-KBwarning.png
Warning:
 If you registered multiple Second Life accounts with the same email address, you will be able to retrieve the username of only your
 first
 account. This is a known system limitation. Before you ever have to use this form, write down your usernames somewhere you'll remember!

I missed that and it is very good to know.

One piece of advise I do always hear is you should always friend all your Alts and give them edit and mapping rights. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.