If you know your username but have forgotten your password, go to the password recovery page. Enter your username and click Send Instructions to have instructions on how to create a new password sent to the email address connected to the account . You'll need to answer the security question you chose when creating your Second Life account. Be sure to check your junk mail/spam folder.
If you can't recall the answer to your security question or no longer have access to the e-mail account you provided, just contact Customer Support, preferably by opening a support case. You'll be asked to verify your identity and, working together, we can reset your security question.
We apologize in advance that support cannot retrieve passwords. Luckily, this won't be an issue once we reset your security question.
The username you created during registration is required to login to the Second Life® virtual world. If you forget your username, you can retrieve it:
- From your welcome email
- From the Second Life website
|Note: If you forgot which email address you used when you registered, you can find out on the Contact Information page. You must have either your username or email address to recover your account credentials.|
You provided an email address to register your account. A welcome email containing the Second Life username you created was sent to this address. To locate the email:
- Log into your email account and search your archives for "second life".
- Look for an email with your username in the subject line: "Welcome to Second Life, YOUR NAME!"
|Warning: If you registered multiple Second Life accounts with the same email address, you will be able to retrieve the username of only your first account. This is a known system limitation. Before you ever have to use this form, write down your usernames somewhere you'll remember!|
If you have forgotten your username or password:
- Click Login on the Second Life website.
- Click Forgot your login information?
- Under Forgot Your Name? enter your email address.
- Click Forgot Account Name.
Your Second Life name will be sent to you shortly.
You can change your password, along with other account-related information, on your Dashboard. To view your Dashboard, log in and select My Dashboard from the dropdown menu under Me. Click the Account section on the left of the Dashboard to expand it; then click Change Password.
Your Second Life account is linked with an email address of your choosing, which is where things like announcements from Linden Lab and offline instant messages (if you have those enabled) are delivered.
You can easily change your email address on the Second Life website:
- Login to your Dashboard.
- On the left, click Account, then click Change Email Address.
- Enter a new email address after Enter your new email address.
- Confirm your new email address by entering it again after Confirm your new email address.
- Click Save Changes under Confirm your new email address.
Shortly afterwards, your old email address will also receive a "Second Life Email Changed" email to confirm that the change was done by you, the actual account holder.
|Tip: Keep your account safe! Don't give your password out, and make sure your web browser's address bar shows
Your account may have been compromised if:
- You can't access your account.
- You suddenly notice a reduced available balance on the payment source you have on file.
If this happens, contact us immediately!
Here's what to do:
- Go to the Second LIfe Help page and log in if you can. If you can't access your account, use the Forgot your login information? link on the right to recover your username and reset your password. Then log in.
- On the Second LIfe Help page page, click the Contact Support link on the right.
- On the next page, click Submit a a Support Case form.
- Under What type of problem are you having?, select Account Issue. A second dropdown appears.
- Under Account Issue, select I believe my account has been compromised.
- Fill in the rest of the fields as directed.
- Click Submit.
- Check your email for your case number.
- Call our fraud number: 800-860-6990.
Once you do this, Linden Lab will place your account on hold and investigate the relevant transactions. This may take a few days. Once we have concluded the investigation, we'll send you an email explaining our conclusion and the action we will take. Note that all transactions involving Linden dollars are subject to Linden Lab's Terms of Service.
Tip: Even if you are able to log into your account, we recommend that you change your password immediately to something secure and unique. Changing your password regularly is one good way to protect the safety of your account. For information on how to change your password, see the How to change your password section of this article.