How to get rid of ugly face and body shadows ?

Miserlie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The menu is a little different now. You go to world->environment editor->sky presets->new preset and create a new sky preset.

Then you have to go to world->environment editor->environment settings and set your sky/day cycle to 'fixed sky' and choose your new preset.

If your computer doesn't support windlight you can still create a sky preset and set the sun/moon to black and the ambient to white. This turns off shadows cast by the sun/moon. This setting is how SL looked when I first played.

Thanks guys, I'll try some of these out. I heard increasing or decreasing your screen gamma can help remove all the ugly shadows. Have anybody tried this ?

If so what were your results ?

And i got a real laugh out of that coby :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

• 2 weeks later...

If you are reluctant to use a facelight because they make you hideously bright and look kind of radioactive, like a lot do, try looking for one that is adjustable or subtle.

I remember when I was new being aproached in a shop by someone wearing what looked like stadium lights on a backpack and being told wow... you look brighter than me... it turned out I was wearing several facelights at once from each outfit, skin set of eyes etc I was wearing  3 or more and was going around lit up like a lighthouse.

But, now, I don't go anywhere without my Nlight FREE 2.0 Adjustable Beauty Light, it is just bright enough to hide the nasty face shadows without making you glow. I suspect there are others better, that is however the one I have and use.

I once made a facelight for me - all light parameters adjustable. Was possible to "enlighten" me so it was barely noticeable that there was a facelight. One light source of course since all the low-graphics users only see the 6 nearest lights.

But the times I used a facelight are long gone and I have switched off the ability to display attached lights in my viewer. So I don't see any facelight and thats a great improvement !

Whatever you do to remove the shadows - I and many others will not see the result. But sometimes I use a windlight setting that removes the shadows - on every avatar. :)

So why bother? How you exactly look for others is not in your hands anyways. :)

Facelight:

original_510076ecbcc1007f01000001.jpg

original_510078a2bcc100047d000001.jpg

Is just a really good way to look silly.

Pay attention above to the avatar in the exact middle of the bottom image. Not the insanity in image one or at the bottom right of image two. Any fool can avoid the bottom right result by setting up a better facelight. But the one in the middle - she has a very dim facelight. Unfortunately - this is how that still looks to other people who have windlight / lights on. Her face was washed out for me when I zoomed in on her (no screenshot of that) because it clashed with the local windlight / club lighting.

Far better to adjust your graphics settings.

Start by seeing if using the local region's light settings improves things. Chances are it will look decent. That's what most people will see.

Failing that, pick a windlight setting for yourself, accepting others will see something else.

Haha, thanks everyone i fixed the problem. Windlight woorks like a charm. I didn't exactly turn this on but some how sun/moon plus projectors shadows were turned on i guess its because sinc eht enew update they set me back to low and i forgot rathe ri had my settings on high or high-Ultra and when i ticked high-ugltra things looked really great especially with the shadows and my windlight. And because torley's awesome windlights weren't working for my avatar (Not literally) i made my own and adjusted the screen gamma which eliminates the purpose of a face light.:matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Thanks !:smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.