Viewer Upgrade at 12:00 SL time on December 18. 2012

Luther Weymann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was online and did the V3 upgrade notice I just received and restarted. The LIGHTING IS HORRIBLE. Daylight went from beautiful to full glare. With lights on in my house (1/8 region) I am glaring light horribly at my neighbors and I cannot even have the lights on in the house due to glare. I just switch over to my Firestorm viewer so I can enjoy SL. So sad to see the lack of QA and testing at LL.

Looks like it changed your default from old 2003 lighting to having windlight on - causing you to now notice how your lighting likely looks to everyone else.

Firestorm's only a few versions behind the LL viewer, so if what you're seeing now is what I expect it is, its going to hit you in Firestorm also within a month or so.

Look in the graphics and see what the settings are.

And if it is this, that lighting and shadows is now on, "windlight" / differed lighting... then start editing your lights.

If not, post up some screenshots so we can see what you're getting.

Hello Luther

You have to adjust your settings, if you had it all looking beatifully before it's all settings. 

Click Ctrl P, and then go to Graphics, 

You can play around with options or just move the Render Quality bar (upper Right corner) from Low to ultra, once you find a good setting, manually adjust the Shaders. 

I have been on Default viewer settings for years. I've never had daylight or house lighting anything other than what LL viewer has delivered as default. Its always been nice, now the interior when its daylihgt out side is dark inside, and if I turn on the lights its awful glare, really bad. I now cannot even use my Ctrl-Shift-Y which always switched me to daylight in and out. I running Nvidia 470 vid card on 26" LG HD monitors, and this change to the default settings is horrible.

It sounds like you've been using graphics settings that are lower than your card is capable of. The upgrade automatically reset a lot of people's settings to what's considered optimum for their cards, which in your case probably involved turning "Lighting and Shadows" on. This setting looks beautiful when the surroundings are set up taking it into account but in some cases it can make things look too bright if there are a lot of strong light sources like a lot of places put up to look better with older graphics settings. For instance, facelights can be obnoxiously bright with it turned on. Go to "Preferences" - "Graphics", click the "Advanced" button if you haven't already and then turn off "Lighting and Shadows." That should change things back to what you're used to. To get rid of "windlight", also turn off "Atmospheric Shaders."

I guess Pussycat has the right answer for you

Luther Weymann wrote:

I have been on Default viewer settings for years. I've never had daylight or house lighting anything other than what LL viewer has delivered as default. Its always been nice, now the interior when its daylihgt out side is dark inside, and if I turn on the lights its awful glare, really bad. I now cannot even use my Ctrl-Shift-Y which always switched me to daylight in and out. I running Nvidia 470 vid card on 26" LG HD monitors, and this change to the default settings is horrible.

You can not expect a dynamic environment like SL not to change over years; on the contrary: it is very dynamic.
The best thing you can do is to change your graphic preference settings to you liking, but bare in mind that other residents may see your land and home very differently from what you see
:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

Thank you all very much. The new shadows and atmospheric shaders look very nice. The new upgrade but my quality and speed to Ultra (Nvidia 470 card with two 26" LG monitors) so SL looks better than it ever has. I've never seen my castle and tropical land shaded before.

The lights when turned on low in my Alex Bader Skye Faery castle make the interior like orange light and when turned on high, its unusable due to the glare. An on high, using the new settings, the light blows through the wall around the property and deep into my neighbors house.

So, the result is, if I leave the settings on default, the interior lighting sucks, but if its turned off both inside and outside look nice. So I cannot use lights. And if I uncheck Lighting and Shadows I need to use the lights inside of my house, and if my neighbor has the upgraded viewer with Lighting and Shadow checked, he is screwed from the glare of lights coming from my place.

Thank you all very much for your support.

Luther Weymann wrote:

Oh yes, shadows is now turned on for me for the first time in 5 years. I don't see any settings here in preferences to adjust that but I will look else where. I have never used Windlight,ever. Thank you.

Why did you buy a $350 video card if you're just going to run the viewer with graphics settings a $50 video card could easily handle?

It sounds to me like the problem is your house has way too many lights, all of which are at full intensity.

... if my neighbor has the upgraded viewer with Lighting and Shadow checked, he is screwed from the glare of lights coming from my place.

Right, and that poor neighbor was screwed by your lights all along if he had shadows enabled.

This is why many were so happy when facelights were finally vanquished by disabling Develop / Rendering / Render Attached Lights -- a setting you may especially want now that you're getting to see the world more accurately.

Yep, it sounds like the core of the problem is the way the new rendering system handles multiple lights.

It's not Windlight. That's been around for a long time.

The old system was limited to eight light sources, and needed two of those for sun and moon. So the nearest six light sources were rendered. I've seen facelights with a dozen light sources, and that's an obvious piece of poor design.

The new system supports a very large number of lights, and also adds together the illumination properly. So the scene is suddenly lit by more lights, and the total light can be hugely increased.

You need to used the Advanced settings for Preferences -> Graphics rather than the simple detail slider. You can set up to use the modern render engine, while leaving such things as shadows turned off. The slider control doesn't give you the tradeoffs the advanced settings do.

Oh come on.. In the real world and in SL, people often use full studio lighting with spot fills, at least two floods at 45 degrees, reflectors and other goodies designed to improve on natural lighting. PhotoLife Studio (for SL) does this sort of stuff. A very low key facelight (like Ghosty's) accomplishes some of the same things but allows you to use any SL scene as your background.

With Viewer 3.4.3 LL have made three changes to graphics settings:

• They have reappraised what graphics settings they believe your graphics card is capable of running - and changed the default with the new install.
  • They have altered some of what each of the existing 4 preset graphics settings is set to provide.
  • They have added in 3 more preset graphics settings 'LowMid', 'MidHigh' and 'HighUltra' as intermediate steps.

I believe these changes are to make better use of your gpu's capabilities with the improved rendering system without requiring you to use the 'Advanced' graphics settings.  Unfortunately, as always, it is impossible to determine the full capabilities of your system just by the gpu and as a result it would be advisable to go into the graphics settings and play with the quality slider until you find something that works for you.

The change in lighting is from the Lighting & Shadows setting. In video gaming parlance that is Deferred Rendering. That setting changes how lights render and how many will be rendered.

In some clubs not designed for newer viewers, one has to turn it off to see.

In some TPV's you can change settings to change how things render. I have a picture up that shows how using viewer anti-aliasing and video card anti-alaising lots and what it does to snapshots. See: IMAGE

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.