This is pushing it a bit

weena Janic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you guys would take the time to read my post instead of giving me advice you would see that all i wanted was to be able to edit my mistake out but all this dont matter now since i closed the store in marketpllace i'm no longer selling anything there

Thank you all for ....whatever

weena Janic wrote:

If you guys would take the time to read my post instead of giving me advice you would see that all i wanted was to be able to edit my mistake out but all this dont matter now since i closed the store in marketpllace i'm no longer selling anything there

yes

but in your first response to the first person who said you cant actual use brandnames/tm in your keywords you get all defensive and said stuff like:

i wasnt using the brandname to sell my stuff. i just was using it so that people can find my stuff. and then argue that is not the same thing

people went wut??? wut??? when you did

+

if you had of just said: yeah ok i accept that now that i know i cant do that

but anyways: how come we cant just edit the stupid things?

it really suxs that i couldnt edit them and would be good if linden fixed it so we could

then just about every merchant on these forums would have gone:

^^^ that ^^ ^^^ yeah that ^^

+

edit

ps if you gunna rant and baw and is actual ok theat you do

then do it in a way that will get you support. is why i said this post is just about the worst way ever to vent

16 wrote:

OP has gone now

but ji ust say that this probably the worst way to vent pretty much ever

like you get your stuff blocked by linden bc you using a brandname/tm that you not allowed to do

so have a rant/moan. which is ok to do

+

is 2 parts to the rant/moan

1) is so unfair that i cant use someone elses brandname/tm to help sell my stuff

2) after being told i cant then it sux that i wasnt able to edit my MP listings and i had to do them all over again

OP vent went all wrong when kept getting defensive about 1)

later on OP get off that and go onto 2). which is the more important thing if you actual want to get anything good to come out of the rant

but by then was all kinda to late

+

also dunno if anyone else noticed

the thread got hit about 900 times by a link clicker  within minutes of it first being posted

is not a good look this and dont help with the credibility of the rant/moan when this happens

No, I had not noticed, but given the number of views showing right now I can see you must be right. Was that because of the brand name being used here, do you think?

I agree with your assessment of the two parts of the argument/rant and if it had been presented differently it would have had a different response, I think. Sometimes people get so ticked off about stuff they can't back up. It's happened to me. It seems to have happened here.

weena Janic wrote:

We people did nothing. You're still flouncing. What would speak volumes is saying "welp, I effed up here, kinda pissed I couldn't just fix what I effed up" or something to that effect. Instead what you did was blame everyone else for the fact that you don't like to follow rules and in doing so created more work for yourself.

If there is anyone to be angry at here, it's your own self. We've all done stupid stuff before. We've all done things that make us facepalm our own selves. It's not the end of the world. No one likes having to fix their own screwups, but it's still something we all have to do. If people made it easier for us to remedy it everytime, we'd never learn our lesson now would we?

You were given advice because you seemed, and still seem, to not understand why you can't use that phrase in keywords. Even if you don't appreciate the advice given there are likely others that might benefit from it. Beauty of public forums like this is when we post, we're not the only ones reading. That's why I linked to the actual TOS. Not just for your benefit, but others as well. I can be helpful sometimes. Though I try not to sometimes too.

weena Janic wrote:

No I understood that. I and I think others were responding to the part about it being OK to use the trademark name in search. And responding to the indignation about LL taking action. 

Not sure what we were to do about the grumbling about not being able to edit, part.

ImaTest wrote:

Even if you don't appreciate the advice given there are likely others that might benefit from it. Beauty of public forums like this is when we post, we're not the only ones reading. 

THIS!!! x 1000

I  might make it my sigline. 

People forget that when they say things to someone else, it isn't only read by that person. It also sometimes is not ONLY intended for a person but to answer more completely to help others who might be drawn to a topic.

Many more read this forum than post here.

Melita Magic wrote:

ImaTest wrote:

Even if you don't appreciate the advice given there are likely others that might benefit from it. Beauty of public forums like this is when we post, we're not the only ones reading. 

THIS!!! x 1000

I  might make it my sigline. 

People forget that when they say things to someone else, it isn't only read by that person. It also sometimes is not ONLY intended for a person but to answer more completely to help others who might be drawn to a topic.

"Many more read this forum than post here."

I have a couple of friends who will comment to me In World about things I've said here who to the best of my knowledge have never posted a comment here.

But getting back to the topic, once again we are dealing with a lot of unknowns here.  While I do have  a general understanding of what Linden Lab's legal obligations are regarding Copyright infringement, I have absolutely no knowledge regarding Trade Mark infringement.

What I do know is that it violates the TOS, and that generally speaking something like this would be done under advice of Counsel.  In other words, they are playing it safe legally speaking.

For the sake of this discussion, I am going to assume (yes, I know, a dangerous thing to do) that Linden Lab has to act on Trade Mark infringement.

Linden Lab could edit the listing themselves.  A labor intensive activity that should not fall on them.

Linden Lab could just send a note to the Merchant saying "you need to edit your listing."  But then how long do they wait for the Merchant to do the edit?  And then, in addition, they have to keep track of and follow up on those listings.  Again, a labor intensive activity.

Or they can do what they are doing.

Take down the listing, inform the Merchant and allow the Merchant to relist.  More labor intensive for the Merchant but it is the Merchant's responsibility to know and follow the rules, so maybe this really is the most sensible way for them to proceed and not run afoul of the Trade Mark laws.

Yes I think people forget that. That's why it bothers me if I get characterized harshly for absolutely no reason. It really baffles me. But how will I know if others read any of those things and one day I meet them in world...and that is the preconceived notion they will carry of me. I don't and that is why it feels so bad.

In fact the people who post here are only a tiny fraction of SL residents and also a tiny fraction of those who visit the forums. But I find some who visit often begin to feel it is their own blog and they can do or say 'what they want to' - and since they only seem to be encouraged at times it is no wonder.

I'm just here to try to help people, but if someone slaps my face for no reason I will cry ouch and it might be loud. ;p

Melita Magic wrote:

ImaTest wrote:

Too many iconoclastic types round SL for that.

People who often fail to realize there is a universe beyond the 'me'...

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

ImaTest wrote:

I think we are all guilty at times of the "me" syndrome.  I try not to be but I know I have been at times.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I think we are all guilty at times of the "me" syndrome.  I try not to be but I know I have been at times.

Very true and frustratingly so.

So stop doing it on MY reply! This is MY interwebz!!! :P

=^o.O^=

As to this thread - long as we all recognize that its a good general topic, with good general advice - and that plenty of people make the OPs mistake while having good intentions, it can be handy educational advice for others.

To OP: Don't take your whole store down and give up. Just retool, rebrand, and relaunch. A setback is just another word for a new opportunity.

( https://my.secondlife.com/pussycat.catnap/posts/50c8cb741e99f0000200374b - sometimes you have to fall before you can see up.)

weena Janic wrote:

Over react much?

16 wrote:

the thread got hit about 900 times by a link clicker  within minutes of it first being posted

is not a good look this and dont help with the credibility of the rant/moan when this happens

Where can you tell how many times a thread was clicked?  Curious minds want to know.
;)

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Your browser may show this differently, but there is a 'Views' column, and apparently 16 noticed it jumped like crazy within minutes of the thread being started.

views.jpg

Oh right...those views. :matte-motes-bashful:

*Slinks back into the shadows with a red face whispering a thank you*

Czari Zenovka wrote:

16 wrote:

Where can you tell how many times a thread was clicked?  Curious minds want to know.
;)

for GDF is this page. i hope is the same for you. should be

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/bd-p/GeneralDiscussionForum

to get to it you start at the top tab: Forums then just click on each of the headings. is the same for all the subforums on here

the views count is the number of times each top post is click opened/viewed

i was on when OP made his post. i have quick read then i go read some other ones. about 5 minutes later i came back to the GDF page. the view count was over 900. lol srs fail (:

+

the view count for each post always change when the link is clicked on. even when you not logged in. seems whoever click hammer it must of thought that high count viewed posts on this forum come to the top

was urgent bsns seems like

Josef Balbozar wrote:

My posts were made by a real person ... and any action taken by some people would be real as well.

This is a very emotive issue of general interest.

? You may have replied to me by mistake, but if you didn't I am unsure what you meant. My comment had to do with Views, not with posts.

16 wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

16 wrote:

;)

for GDF is this page. i hope is the same for you. should be

to get to it you start at the top tab: Forums then just click on each of the headings. is the same for all the subforums on here

the views count is the number of times each top post is click opened/viewed

i was on when OP made his post. i have quick read then i go read some other ones. about 5 minutes later i came back to the GDF page. the view count was over 900. lol srs fail (:

+

the view count for each post always change when the link is clicked on. even when you not logged in. seems whoever click hammer it must of thought that high count viewed posts on this forum come to the top

was urgent bsns seems like

*Waves and whispers "Thank You" - still have red face* ;)

ETA: For some reason I thought there was some snazzy "number of views" optional add-on software.

*Goes back under rock*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.