Quarterly SL Economy Updates?

Grunt Popstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What ever happened to SL sharing with us the latest quarerly market updates for the grid? You remember? The ones that would tell us about commerce, Linden transactions, world size and how these metrics are growing or changing?

Is there some reason why Linden Labs does not want to share this with us anymore?

I believe the statement was something like; "We are discontinuing the Quarterly Reports because nobody reads or cares about that information any longer."  Or words to that effect.

On edit:  found this...

"...Linden Lab spokesperson, Peter Gray told me today, “We don’t plan to publish a Q4 2011 economic summary. We are discontinuing regular reporting of aggregate economy-level data, because landowners and merchants have told us that the information is of limited value to them. Moving forward, we will instead focus on improved reporting tools that help individuals better manage their businesses in SL.”"

From HERE

Welcome back to SL Grunt! You must have been gone for the last year. Linden Lab no longer produces economic data, sponsors / supports a Second Life Convention, or hosts its own events such as the SL Birthday parties. They make sure the SL grid servers have power and are busy developing iPad apps. For more info, check out this thread:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/No-quot-Second-Life-Economy-in-Q3-2012-quot/m-p/1688669/highlight/true#M79318

You can look up 3rd Party economic information instead. The two I most reference are:

http://gridsurvey.com/

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/virtual-business/8523-new-sl-sims-past-week-78.html

Hope that helps!

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

I believe the statement was something like; "We are discontinuing the Quarterly Reports because nobody reads or cares about that information any longer."  Or words to that effect.

"...
Linden Lab spokesperson, Peter Gray told me today, “We don’t plan to publish a Q4 2011 economic summary. We are discontinuing regular reporting of aggregate economy-level data, because landowners and merchants have told us that the information is of limited value to them. Moving forward,
we will instead focus on improved reporting tools that help individuals better manage their businesses in SL.”"

From

Are those the same reporting tools we constantly beg for over in the commerce forum?

This is one of the things that many business people miss.  I am part of a business round table that recently started up inworld.  This is one of our goals, to get more info such as the Quarterly Reports, reported by LL.  If your interested in joining our group, we meet every Sunday from 6 to 8 PM SL time.  I do not have the slurl handy right now, so send me an IM or notecard titled Business Round Table.  I will send you the LM.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

The reason LL gave for stopping was that some users said the reports were of little value.  Obviously just an excuse and not the real reason.  Some users will always say a report is of little value.

You might find this thread interesting:

I dont think it was an excuse, all people ever did was claim they were lies and apply their own negative intepretation  whatever was published. Take a look at just some of the comments taken from just one of the past blogs you linked...

Absolute rubbish!! Who are they trying to fool? Us or themselves?

Here's a picture for you Lindens from your customer base... it's not as pretty as your doctored graphs

I'd love to know who is being "successful" in this economy. It sure isn't me, or any merchant I personally know who is willing to talk about their sales figures. My in-world sales are at an all time low, and heading steadily downhill.

HOW MANY "fewer economically active accounts" are there now? Where's THAT number?

Watching these terribly sanitized Linden reports shorn of important data that used to be transparent and is now dark

So let me see... because a bare minimum of information provided seems to show things are only slightly sinking (with the exception of web sales, which is a direct reflection of the fact people now don't shop in world because of the problems which still exist with search after at least 6 months) we all should ignore our own eyes and not see all the abandoned mainland

Certainly the numbers don't say SL is closing tomorrow. But considering LL only chooses to publish the best numbers

It doesn't matter....Second Life is what it is. These public statements are designed to paper the cracks

The only thing LL could publish that would be believed, is a statement saying SL was closing tomorrow due to sky falling on all the residents, clearly these users and many, many more found the economic report to be 'of little value'

I used the reports to tell If I was sucking or the markets.Then I did something amazing in 2010,I got a better job and stopped caring about my SL sales !  If I am so lucky to take home money at the end of each month and all the in world cost is paid  I just Wright it off as lucky me . I now build as a hobby and really enjoy my projects. I started playing with more PHP data base with my scripting and  have taken many of those new learn skills and grab some android OS and app building e-books and have been playing with in world scripting and chunks of the viewers open source  scr  to my smart phone and developing a new app .

These were all response comments to the earliest 2010 results that you linked.

This wasn't some trend that popped up towards the end, whereas previously the results had been welcomed as gospel truth, these were typical responses to every single economic report I read since  I joined in 2007, yep even in 2007 people were complaining that SL was going down the pan and would surely end soon.

Neither are they in any way  constructive comments on how LL should improve their reporting methods, the general flavour of any thread in response to economic data was exactly as yours is now, LL are all liars and they made this stuff up to try and con us into believing things are better than they really are. Residents were not saying make the reports better, they were saying "We don't believe your stupid reports and we never will"

I don't doubt LL saw an advantage to their business (and mine and many other residents) in not publicising a very slow downward trend, but I think the guaranteed neurotic, nutty, negative response of residents to the economic data, peppered with ludicrous accusations of corruption and dishonesty, cannot have made the whole exercise seem anything other than pointless. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

"...
Linden Lab spokesperson, Peter Gray told me today, “We don’t plan to publish a Q4 2011 economic summary. We are discontinuing regular reporting of aggregate economy-level data, because landowners and merchants have told us that the information is of limited value to them. Moving forward,
we will instead focus on improved reporting tools that help individuals better manage their businesses in SL.”"

From

Are those the same reporting tools we constantly beg for over in the commerce forum?

Well howdy, Miss Pam!  Are those the same reporting tools?  I don't know, but I sure HOPE so!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.