Why are Objects Returning?

Mitchell Indigo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mitchell Indigo wrote:

Today I was driving a vehicle of mine around in SL and all of a sudden, the minute I got out of the vehicle, it poofed into my lost and found folder.  I checked the auto return time and that wasn't a factor.  What's up with this?

It sounds like you got out of the vehicle on a lot that doesn't allow you to rezz objects. Driven vehicles are allowed into these lots because of special exceptions written into the code so vehicle owners won't be constantly blocked but as soon as you get out of a vehicle it becomes a standard rezzed object and it will go to your lost and found if it's on a lot you can't rezz on that lot.

Liisa Runo wrote:

If the parcel is no-object-entry, the vehicle will poof the second you stand up. It is somewhat new change. Super annoying.

I suspect that's the problem here. The new behavior is not exactly wrong, per se, but it does change the semantics of "no-object-entry" in a way incompatible with the intent when it was set. A good example is most of the roads and waterways on the Zindra continent. The support ticket to get those all fixed would read like the phonebook.

Less than a year ago the vehicle stayed on the parcel the set autoreturn time even if you stood up. Im not a griefer and i complain. I find it annoying that my boat get returned when i hop off to swap seats with a friend. For example.

This is again a good example of LL trying to fix social problem with technology. Griefers will just use other methods to grief, and well behaving people are left to suffer the new rules.

Yeah, this is new behavior within the last year. One used to be able to stand from your vehicle in Zindra, go in a shop, walk around for a few minutes, and the vehicle would still be there when you got back. Not anymore, and they've not changed the land settings. But now they'll have to change them, if that ability is to be restored. (This isn't a problem on the other continents because all their roads and waterways are set to allow object entry.)

Qie Niangao wrote:

Yeah, this
is
new behavior within the last year. One used to be able to stand from your vehicle in Zindra, go in a shop, walk around for a few minutes, and the vehicle would still be there when you got back. Not anymore, and they've not changed the land settings. But now they'll have to change them, if that ability is to be restored. (This isn't a problem on the other continents because all their roads and waterways are set to allow object entry.)

Ummm, I've had my vehicles returned from mainland roads on standing.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Really? And you hadn't been on the Linden parcel for more than the auto-return interval? Did you happen to check whether it was some odd case where object-entry was disabled? Certainly the majority of Mainland roads and waterways  allow object entry, but I've seen it get flipped--even on the SLRR, a time or two--presumably as a side-effect of some anti-griefing measure.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Really? And you hadn't been on the Linden parcel for more than the auto-return interval? Did you happen to check whether it was some odd case where object-entry was disabled? Certainly the majority of Mainland roads and waterways  allow object entry, but I've seen it get flipped--even on the SLRR, a time or two--presumably as a side-effect of some anti-griefing measure.

Most of the Linden roads and waterways I'm familiar with have a rezz zone in a small portion of each sim but don't allow rezzing on the majority of the rights-of-way.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I'd only recently started driving the mainland roads again and didn't know what 'expected behaviour' was.  Next time I'll check.

Most of the Linden roads and waterways I'm familiar with have a rezz zone in a small portion of each sim but don't allow rezzing on the majority of the rights-of-way.

Right, but for a stood-from vehicle to stay put for the auto-return interval, it's not rezzing that's required, it's (now) object-entry. The thing is, until recently, even object-entry wasn't required to stand from the vehicle without it immediately returning to Lost & Found.

I guess the rez zones are kind of relevant in another way: if you can find one, you can re-rez your vehicle from your Lost & Found. Or you can scan nearby parcels for one that left rezzing enabled.

Anyway, there's a difference between public ways on the other continents, where object-entry is enabled, and those on Zindra where it's not (except a few sims in the heart of Kama City). If you try standing up from a vehicle on a Zindra road or waterway, you'll see the difference instantly.

(Just to be clear, I'm not advocating that the behavior revert to status quo ante; I'm just saying that there's a heck of a lot of parcels that need their settings adjusted to fit the new behavior.)

there is nothing to revert. if you rez an object in an area that has a return time of 5 minutes, that clock starts from the time its rezzed. if you' re riding on it for 15 minutes, you have already exceeded the time by 10 minutes. it won't return because you're still sitting on it but the instant you get off, it will return because you are already over the return time.

it was like this in 2005

it was like this in 2006

it was like this in 2007

it was like this in 2008

it was like this in 2009

it was like this in 2010

it was like this in 2011

it was like this in 2012

it will always be like this

I'm sorry if i'm hijacking this post - but the title seems relevant.

We logged in a couple of hours ago and found our patch of mainland devastated - nearly everything returned to our inventories. All my friends' hard work and wonderful creations gone. The sim was also offline for an hour or so - as were many sims in the neighbourhood.

I wonder if it anything to do with todays sim upgrade - and now a rollback?

This is not a new phenomenon in SL but it has taken on new characteristics lately plus the crash rate seems to have increased dramatically recently.

On my Island with plenty of excess prims items were returned to my lost folder  except every item that was of my creation remained in place only the no copy items truly returned

More bizarre behavior for the coders of the lab I suppose since it is such an old bug they consider it a benefit ))

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.