Deploys for the week of 2012-10-01

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Happy October! Is it Christmas yet?

There is no promotion to main channel this week. Since there was no RC rollout last week we do not have anything to promote Tuesday morning. There will be no rolling restart.

Each of the RC's passed QA and will be on each channel.

UPDATE: LeTigre regions exhibited issues that necessitated a rollback. The regions were rolled forward and are on the same code that is on BlueSteel. Affected regions are getting a simstate rollback.

Second Life Server (main channel)

This code will stay the same. Regions will not be restarted.

2012-10-02, 5:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/12

Second Life RC BlueSteel

• This is a maint-server project.
  • Bug Fixes
    • Fixed some server crash modes.

2012-10-03, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/12

Second Life RC LeTigre

There were showstopper issues on these regions. They have been updated to the same code that is on BlueSteel.

2012-10-03, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/12

Second Life RC Magnum

• This is a maint-server project.
  • Scheduled 2012-10-03
  • Bug Fixes
    • Back end infrastructural changes.
      • No intentional change to behaviour.

2012-10-03, 7-11:00am: Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/12

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.

I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. (https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here:https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

This is not a forum thread for off-topic and unproductive ranting. I will no longer tolerate it. This forum thread is to discuss newly found issues in the Release Candidate channels. If you feel the need to have your opinions heard on topics unrelated to new bugs then please start your own thread. If an individual continues to post unproductive and off-topic comments I will take measures to remedy that.

If you are unsure about your posting please read this : "Linden Lab Official:Community Participation Guidelines"

i don't know what the uptimes really are on the MC sims. thoughI know there were some that needed a restart over the weekend. I suppose that you're getting some data on how long a sim can run reliably without a restart. My own feeling, from recent experience, is that running a sim for more than two weeks without a restart is almost asking for trouble.

Thing is, I don't know if the problems are down to things such as memory leaks, and other accumulated crud. There's also been speculation over griefer attacks. I hope you've used this opportunity, because, whatever the cause of what I see, the weekly restart pattern could have hidden some of the problems.

MB Robonaught wrote:

Hi Oskar

I was wondering if you could elaborate on the "Back end infrastructural changes" listed in the release information for Magnum server. I realize it also says "No intentional change to behaviour" and I'm curious in case we spot something non intentional.

Thanks
:)

Infrastructural changes could technically manifest with an in-world change, but I wouldn't be able to tell you where to look. If you can notice specific adverse changes to behaviour that are only tied to Magnum and are not noticeable on the other channels we will look into it.

__Oskar

There was test code for groups in the Dev Viewer, if I remember correctly.

#SL Group Edit Roll to RC 

Second Life Group Edit Update Week 36 - Baker talks about the Proj Viewer needed for ADITI.

It is unclear to me whether this particular version, listed in week 36, is needed or whether the Beta and current Dev viewers can be used... Someone post back here and let us know.

Hi, 

When Toshimora came back up there was a message that 8 items were returned to my lost and found folder. It looks like a few vendors were returned.

The msssage said they were returned because the parcel was full. I re-rezzed everything, and the prim count is 82 prims on the whole parcel (according to the parcel details), so even though it's only a 512 parcel i didn't go over my prim limit.

Fortunatly, i only really use it as a location to hold a backup vendor server so it's not caused any real problems.

Details Below

You are at 285,209.0, 278,923.0, 3,457.3 in Toshimora located at sim8964.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.41.140:13005)

Second Life RC LeTigre 12.09.26.265159
Error fetching server release notes URL.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925 Processor (2812.85 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Edit to add, i also appear to be seeing some strange script behaviour. I have a door script that opened but now won't close, and a vendor that won't open it's menu so i can re-start it.

Oskar

Problems on Woods of Heaven, LeTigre.  When the sim returned after being restarted at about 10am PDT several things were amiss.

1) MY Vista AO played the "swimming" animation while flying..so I assume it could no longer sense the Linden water.

2) Our "Lovers' Playgound RPM 2.0 sexbed (no sniggering) B958 small" had its rezzable parts displaced outside our bedroom.

Having unrezzed them the bed will nor rez anything at all.

3) Our Animania Orcas are misbehaving...moving slowly and erratically, though their sounds and "splash" scripts seem to be working.

4) Our Animania Belted Kingfisher has vanished.  Poof...gone!

I didn't see anything else before the sim was to be restarted a second time.

Also I noticed that sculpty prims were not being rezzed until clicked on.

What is going on?

Starheart McMasters wrote:

Whatever you did just returned every single thing from my parcel to lost and found and is blocking me from entering! Sim owner directed me here. Outrageous, a year's work trashed in an instant!

The regions on LeTigre are getting a simstate rollback to their state before the deploy this morning. It's a lenghty process but we are doing it now. Your region will be back like it was soon.

__Oskar

The rollback appears to have fixed the script issues (all sit scripts stopped working on one of my two Le Tigre parcels, and door scripts went doolally, too) but the returned prims didn't re-appear in the sim. I'm now in the process of re-placing them all by hand.

As I was doing so, I realised that most of the prims that were returned (I had 15 coalesced objects come back to me in a flood) were ones on which I had set prim physics to Convex Hull to save prim count. Buildings were returned, furniture was not.

Since all of the returns were because the parcel was ostensibly 'full' (even though, with CH, I still had about 100 prims free) I'm assuming that something rolled out in today's restarts broke the prim-saving of Convex Hull, so my parcel reported as full because - without the CH benefits - there were technically too many prims on it.

Skell Dagger wrote:

The rollback appears to have fixed the script issues (all sit scripts stopped working on one of my two Le Tigre parcels, and door scripts went doolally, too) but the returned prims didn't re-appear in the sim. I'm now in the process of re-placing them all by hand.

As I was doing so, I realised that most of the prims that were returned (I had 15 coalesced objects come back to me in a flood) were ones on which I had set prim physics to Convex Hull to save prim count. Buildings were returned, furniture was not.

Since all of the returns were because the parcel was ostensibly 'full' (even though, with CH, I still had about 100 prims free) I'm assuming that something rolled out in today's restarts broke the prim-saving of Convex Hull, so my parcel reported as full because - without the CH benefits - there were technically too many prims on it.

The affected regions will be getting a simstate rollback. That is progressing now. If you wait the Support Team will get to your region as soon as it can.

__Oskar

Hello,

A large chunk of prims were returned to my Inventory Lost and found saying the parcel is full, which was not true.

Some of my neighbors have similar problems.

The Sim in question is "Morgause" and the restart didn't fix the issue (only few prims were "recovered")

Could you please help us?

Thank you.

I think it's two separate rollbacks. The first, which went quickly, was rolling back the software to the earlier version. Now, the hard part, is recovering the sim state from backups.  At least that's what I suppose is going on.

I'm very relieved that the simstate rollback is going to happen. I had some server-scripted objects that would be really (!) inconvenient to replace with an object having a new key.

Mine are not reappearing either, wow... everything is gone, all my furniture, every single item on that land in that sim... wow...

Have you guys thought of setting up a test sim with houses, and letting people live on it, so you can test it on like one test sim before you stick it in production? 

Oskar Linden wrote:

The regions on LeTigre are getting a simstate rollback to their state before the deploy this morning. It's a lenghty process but we are doing it now. Your region will be back like it was soon.

__Oskar

As I'm reading this, I'm getting the impression that we should see three restarts in total:

1. The restart that borked the region.
  2. The restart that changes the region code (missing prims still missing)
  3. A restart to restore the prims, etc.

Is that correct? I ask because I've had 2 restarts so far and didn't see the region restored (not knowing all of this, having only read the status at the time) so contacted live support who told me that the second restart should have solved everything. They then said I should file a "Objects (Rezzed)" issue (which I did).

Have they (understandably, given how fast this is evolving) given me incorrect information?

The first step was to remove the buggy code. That was the first rollback restart. The second step is to restart the region to a simstate that was before the prims got returned. It is a process that is done by hand. There is no way to automate it. There are more than a thousand affected regions. The Support Team is working as fast as they can. We appreciate your patience.

__Oskar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.