need more groups

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

has come up quite a lot over the years. is lots of discussion on the oldbie blogs like Tateru, Prokofy, Hamlet, Gwyneth, Inara etc. same on the old forums as well

+

one thing I always agree with is something that Prokofy and them always talk about off and on ever since the early days. like make different Premium packages. like Prem Starter with Tier, Starter No Tier but L$ Pack, Prem Builder with bulk uploads pack, Prem Shopkeeper with Classifieds Pack. Prem Landlord with Tier Pack. and combinations of all.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree I remember when groups used to be a thing of like 25 limit because I played back then and wonder how it was possible.

Having 100-200 groups would be a good thing as well as the ability to organize these groups like your friends list in certain categories with a rename option and such.

The reason is simple often joining a group because of griefers and management you have to have multiple groups like a Land Group, then a group for your military, then a group for each branch, ranks, and such and by the time you are using like 5-7 groups or such already just for one group, and you need more groups.

The only thing I could think of beyond that is offering advanced management such as more titles and ranks to set permissions like a lot more  maybe 20-40 per group aka Tags this would allow more ranks and permissions, and less groups needed.

Or what about Sub Groups, Groups within Groups?

Either way this would be nice because a lot of people I know including myself are maxed out on groups for example my groups is full often of groups I want to be in and have been in for a very long time but I would like to join my friends RP groups as well and be able to join a few groups from designer friends I know, but I just don't have the room to do all that  I want in Second Life without creating accounts. In fact if I had joined every designer group that I like the most and my friends groups and RP groups I would need like 3 SL accounts total to do all of this and actively play them all.

No, I think you may be in the minority. I actually don't know, but I do know that me myself, I need more groups. If I have to leave one group to join another simply based on what they offer me as a member, I am essentially forced to rank the 42 most coolest groups that I know of and abandon all the rest. How will I know how cool of a group they are if I don't join them? And how can I join them without abandoning another?

I am sure if I were a chipmunk and only needed two groups, one for hibernation and one for food storage, then it would be cool, however, as an avid shopper and grid traveler, I need more groups! lol :P

We have unlimited slots for friends, as far as I know, why not for groups?

Howard1985 Doghouse wrote:

i think we need more groups then 42 because it get filled so easy for those who work at djs jobs and keep getting a dj job and plus do other jobs and use stores for vendors and all and each group u join have 2 or 3 groups and time it all said and done the groups are filled i believe it should be increase more we been having this problem for a while now i think it could be increase over 100

Four words of advice... "drop the sex groups"... then you'll have plenty of room for the rest.

...Dres

UncommonTruth wrote:

I really have nothing to gripe about how the groups are set up, just wanted to say Welcome back Knowl! Good to see your name again :matte-motes-smitten:

I've been away for far too long... I didn't realize Knowl was back.  Welcome back Knowl... you do realize how wonderful you are, don't you?

...Dres

TY for the wb. I find this place to be irresistible.

As mentioned, Gripes are like grapes; I once read that it takes 4 years for a newly planted grape vine to produce grapes.

Maybe, your avatar is too young to have grapes, gripes. :smileyvery-happy:

Edit: as mentioned in Gripe of the Day thread.

Jo Yardley wrote:

... my sim has 13 groups, if not more.

If groups were created as I suggested in my earlier post, we would just need one group.

But till then, 13 it is.

would be good to be able to make a main group that can own other groups. can kinda do this with group roles but the main killer with this is the totals you get with big groups and all the lag that comes with it when you need to edit them

if could let people join the main group then would be able to move them to one or more sub groups depending on their needs. that be quite good for all kinds of things. roleplay, rentals, club and shop memberships and stuff like that

would be way less laggy I think

Yes, I don't need more groups, I just need more functionality with the groups we get.

If one group could have more roles and each role could seperatly do a group chat, or I could send notes to just one role, several roles or everyone, I could ditch about 10 groups for our sim alone.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

No, I think you may be in the minority. I actually don't know, but I do know that me myself, I need more groups. If I have to leave one group to join another simply based on what they offer me as a member, I am essentially forced to rank the 42 most coolest groups that I know of and abandon all the rest. How will I know how cool of a group they are if I don't join them? And how can I join them without abandoning another?

I am sure if I were a chipmunk and only needed two groups, one for hibernation and one for food storage, then it would be cool, however, as an avid shopper and grid traveler, I need more groups! lol
:P

We have unlimited slots for friends, as far as I know, why not for groups?

Speaking for myself, I have to agree with Qwalyphi; I think it's a minority who "need" more groups, such as the situation Jo has in her sim.  The "cool" types of groups are usually just "for fun" type groups.  Many merchants have the Hippo-type groups in addition to the profile type  so needing more groups available for VIP groups isn't really a big factor.

ETA: I also use my friends list for just that - real friends I actually speak to; not acquaintances, customers or anyone who throws a friend request to me.  I'm the type that likes to keep my groups, friend list, and inventory shored up....lol. ;)

We also use Hippo groups, but it i a bit complex and not very handy to use as a mass communication device if you want to allow other people to use it to send messages as well.

And it costs money.

As our sim is a complex community with all sorts of people and over a 1000 members in our group who sometimes need to use chat in a way not everyone else has to listen in as well, we just need more groups.

OR... even better; more roles.

Even if you only need a few groups, I think most people would agree that more roles (with a few more options) would be handy.

Imagine having a shop, you can use a role for co-owners, fellow traders, customers, loyal customers, discount customers, people who just want to be updated when you make something new, etc, etc.

There are many sims who at least need more then 1 group, just so they can send a note to just their customers OR just their sellers.

If our current groups would allow us to use more roles and made it possible for us to send a group notice to just a certain role in stead to everyone and perhaps even start a chat with just people who have a certain role, we could get rid of many thousands of groups.

My group list is full, but I reckon that at least half of those groups could be left if the above was possible.

Jo Yardley wrote:

We also use Hippo groups, but it i a bit complex and not very handy to use as a mass communication device if you want to allow other people to use it to send messages as well.

And it costs money.

As our sim is a complex community with all sorts of people and over a 1000 members in our group who sometimes need to use chat in a way not everyone else has to listen in as well, we just need more groups.

OR... even better; more roles.

Even if you only need a few groups, I think most people would agree that more roles (with a few more options) would be handy.

Imagine having a shop, you can use a role for co-owners, fellow traders, customers, loyal customers, discount customers, people who just want to be updated when you make something new, etc, etc.

There are many sims who at least need more then 1 group, just so they can send a note to just their customers OR just their sellers.

If our current groups would allow us to use more roles and made it possible for us to send a group notice to just a certain role in stead to everyone and perhaps even start a chat with just people who have a certain role, we could get rid of many thousands of groups.

My group list is full, but I reckon that at least half of those groups could be left if the above was possible.

I agree with you - and used you as an example of the type of person who actually does need more groups than say the average SL resident.  I too think that a better system of sub-groups would be a much better system. :)

I was very happy when the group limits were expanded. I thought having 42 groups available was very generous and more than I would ever 'need.'   Eventually I did fill up the extra slots.

One thing that I remember when the change to 42 groups was made is that we were warned that that amount was a 'test,' that it could be scaled back if it caused a negative impact on server load, etc.  Which means that there are technical implications beneath the surface of this issue.  In other words there are scalability issues that come into play.

I could hypothesize on what these issues are.  There is simply a lot going on behind the scenes when it comes to managing and supporting groups at Server Level and it makes it harder to expand group functions than meets the eyes.

Whether or not someone needs more groups is an individual thing.  Jo has an Individual case need.   Others may not.  

ETA:  I was not responding specifically to Dresden.........this was meant as a general post.  Stupid Lithium.

I waited to post hoping someone with a better memory would do so ...

Groups were created as a land management tool. They weren't designed as a social tool, though that's what they're mostly used for now.

I suspect the reason the number of groups is limited is due to the design of the group chat system. Group chat is delivered to group members by sending messages to the servers handling the regions each member is in. Adding more groups per user would mean more (much more?) stress on the central database and on the sim servers.

I welcome correction on how the system works. I've read about the history of groups and how the chat system works, but I don't remember when or where. :matte-motes-frown:

I'd like to see LL create a new group system for social groups but keep the current group system (enhanced) for land/business purposes. Groups within groups or allowing multiple groups to have parcel-handling abilities would make my SL work easier.

Parhelion Palou wrote:

I waited to post hoping someone with a better memory would do so ...

Groups were created as a land management tool. They weren't designed as a social tool, though that's what they're mostly used for now

I'd like to see LL create a new group system for social groups but keep the current group system (enhanced) for land/business purposes. Groups within groups or allowing multiple groups to have parcel-handling abilities would make my SL work easier.

you pretty much right about the original purpose of groups. they were also designed to assist with collaborative building. is why the default will set a new prim to the group you wearing when you rez it off the build menu

+

according to Nalates blog (who is pretty reliable about these kinds of things) has been a recent hire Baker Linden? who has been doing some work on groups. mostly to do with reducing lag for large group memberships. hope it goes well and Baker? is put onto some of the other things with groups that could make them better

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.