What happened to the updates on the SL Economy etc?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There hasn't been a news  item in the blogs regarding the state of Second Life's economy or any  news from the Lindens how they're making SL grow and thrive.  We all enjoy  it  here and want it  to continue.  Are there any plans to attract more new residents  and to bring those that  left back?

LL stopped all economic reports.  LL now chooses not to use any of the official sites to communicate with anymore.  You have to follow them on facebook or twitter if you are interested in what they have to say, which isn't much lately

Sadly, even the Rodvik choose to use another forum not even owned by LL to post on and ignores this one.

Linden cancelled it because every stat is trending severe downward now so quite lamely they chose to hide the info.

That lost many peoples trust, make Linden look very shady dishonest & make the problem seem much worse than it is.

Basic psychology tells us the one thing people fear most is the unknown. It would be much better for Linden to share the info.

Are there any plans to attract more new residents  and to bring those that  left back?

They've tried everything. Really. On that other forum that was mentioned, Rodvik posted saying that they can generate more new arrivals almost at will, floods of them, but whenever they do, there is zero retention. It's just a complete waste of time and money to market the platform because nobody sticks who isn't already here.

I imagine they're also worried that whatever it is that's discouraging retention is also poisoning those new arrivals such that they'll never come back, so the more marketing they do, the more they're shrinking their future market.

Chrissy Gant wrote:

There hasn't been a news  item in the blogs regarding the state of Second Life's economy or any  news from the Lindens how they're making SL grow and thrive.  We all enjoy  it  here and want it  to continue.  Are there any plans to attract more new residents  and to bring those that  left back?

More: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/No-quot-Second-Life-Economy-in-Q2-2012-quot/td-p/1574455

WADE1 Jya wrote:

Linden cancelled it because every stat is trending severe downward

Untrue. Some stats had lowered, but it definitely wasn't 'severe' by anyones' definition. The numbers were just unimpressive, and the past reason for releasing the data was to show off to the geek community, not necessarily to inform the userbase (the stats were never targetted to be especially helpful to users).

The most recent economy stats are located here, and show very little in the way of change:-

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/The-Second-Life-Economy-in-Q3-2011/ba-p/1166705

As the stats started to decline or stagnate, LL started removing them from the economic reports and labeling them unnecessary.  It got to the point that people didn't believe what LL was reporting anymore and they would take a lot of heat on the blog for what was reported.  Finally they just stopped with the reports altogether.

LL gets beat up every time  they announce anything, so that is probably why they no longer do so.  Would be nice to know what the future holds though.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I imagine they're also worried that whatever it is that's discouraging retention is also poisoning those new arrivals such that they'll never come back, so the more marketing they do, the more they're
shrinking
their future market.

I agree, Qie. This has been my theory since LL announced crossing 20,000 new signups/day over a year ago, as if that was a positive achievement. I'd be making SL as invisible as possible until I figured out how to retain new customers. They are currently growing the population of people who will never again visit SL by 14,000/day.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

I imagine they're also worried that whatever it is that's discouraging retention is also poisoning those new arrivals such that they'll never come back, so the more marketing they do, the more they're
shrinking
their future market.

I agree, Qie. This has been my theory since LL announced crossing 20,000 new signups/day over a year ago, as if that was a positive achievement. I'd be making SL as invisible as possible until I figured out how to retain new customers. They are currently growing the population of people who will never again visit SL by 14,000/day.

Good points.  Among SL's successes and accomplishments, I really wouldn't consider turning thousands of people off to the platform daily (for whatever the reasons are why they never return), as a positive one.  Those numbers add up fast.  Best to fix user retention before doing any heavy marketing.

WADE1 Jya wrote:

Linden cancelled it because every stat is trending severe downward

That just isnt true at all

WADE1 Jya wrote:

so
quite lamely
they chose to hide the info.

That lost many peoples trust, make Linden look very shady dishonest & make the problem seem much worse than it is.

They never had peoples trust, everytime the statisics were released hundreds of residents claimed they were all lies.

Making the problem seem worse than it is? really? like this for instance .....because every stat is trending severe downward

WADE1 Jya wrote:

Basic psychology tells us the one thing people fear most is
the unknown
. It would be much better for Linden to share the info.

It wouldn't make any difference whatsoever, you and others would claim it had all been falsified, and people would be no more informed than they are with no statistics at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

and taht is not counting the single residents that have multiple accounts.

they shoudl have a 30 days usage policy or your out (delete the account)  and their numbers of "leaving" versus coming in each month would be more accurante imho.

They havent tried everything at all because they steadfastly refuse to take the one step that might just reinvigorate interest in sl and thats to make it cheaper...its not rocket science....

but in my book the fact that lindens refused to paticipated in the recent birthday celebrations, the lack of news coming from lindens...points to something going on behind the scenes......and being a born pessimist I dont see it as anything good.

Reduce tiers reduce the cost of a premium account, give bonuses to long term customers - increase stipends and free land allowances. Make customers feel 'valued'

Lindens just aren't updating us on anything anywhere anymore. Rodvik's Twitter has had nothing for a few months, same with his SL feed. Nothing on the forum or blog - just silence all round.

Taking Sl communication away from the SL forum was a huge huge huge mistake. I for one, would love to know what, if anything, Lindens are doing with Sl at the moment. Sims are closing all the time, people are leaving and yet they seemingly do nothng.

Depending on how certain things happen regards another thread then SF could be underwater so no SL, many servers in cali are moving as we speak to cloud servers hidden away near Denver so I hear, sl may move there and be alive after the event, but the US country is on a moving sea bed crust, it rides over it, the eastern part is separate from the western part so the country could split in 2 and all the deep bunkers they have built will be ground up as the crust on top moves over the denser seabed crust under it, so I think most the bunkers created underground will be destroyed, this movement has started as shown by the huge amount of small earthquakes happening in the US now.

LOL, no some have speculated that should the poles shift that it could cause the western side to sink, that is all, it will move near the equator so the sea will rise as it is higher at the equator,

Please understand this when there is pole shift the whole planet twists, if plates move after that then so be, but I see little evidence of that in every other time this drown dwarf passed, large earthquakes, yes, but no major plate movements, but some so called academics in the US have claimed that it will cause plates moving, but I am sure that is more about getting grants.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.