How to save Mainland

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4313 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after reading this thread, I went to a shop on a mainland sim yesterday, did my thing of opening the map, saw the usual amount (usual for "lately") of abandoned land; was clicking on the parcels to ascertain it was all abandoned and came upon one parcel of land being sold by a well-known (at least to me) land purchaser seller.  I have bought and sold from this business several times on my home sim, thus the name popped out at me.

Abandoned land being sold by LL - 1L sqm.  

Land seller's price of a parcel surrounded by abandoned land - 0.6L sqm.  For some reason that made me sad.  I would guess he may have purchased the land he was selling prior to the surrounding land being abandoned, unless he purchased land for 0.3L sqm.  Anyway...bad times for land sellers. :/

I doubt if LL would ever do this. But, with all teh topics either about abuse, griefing, or how to save mainland/help user retention - it all seems to dovetail.

For pete's sake. Help people who are being griefed by their 'neighbors.' When someone is purposely putting spinny glowy crap high in the sky, pushing things over onto the other person's parcel more than once, (not a few centimeters, but several meters) etc. It's stupid, stressful, and unnecessary: the definition of game-griefing.

Abuse Reports tend to be ignored after the first response or action. But not everyone who sends more than one, is just a hen having a squawk.

Care about your users and they will care about you.

Czari Zenovka wrote in part:

Abandoned land being sold by LL - 1L sqm.  

Land seller's price of a parcel surrounded by abandoned land - 0.6L sqm.  For some reason that made me sad.  I would guess he may have purchased the land he was selling prior to the surrounding land being abandoned, unless he purchased land for 0.3L sqm.  Anyway...bad times for land sellers.
:/

If it's any consolation, land dealers often make the opening auction bid for L$0.5/sq.m. if they think they can sell it for more (always a gamble, of course). And I think there are still some bots that buy at very, very low prices, when the dealer has idle tier, so maybe a previous owner sold for very cheap rather than abandoning that parcel.

Either way, yeah, there's not enough margin there to justify paying many months tier to hold it, that's for sure.

Six Igaly wrote:

Not sure if it matters, it is just that i can't recall from my early years there was so much abandoned and for sale.

And i am happy for you that your mainland life is good. Really are. No matter where i settled on mainland it was always short term joy. Once even i was the very first owner of a new Oceanside sim, and within the month i had neighbors that started a club. 2 of them! Resulting in log in failures because of a over crowded sim. And this is just one example. But! That was mainland... stuff happened. 

BTW i think i am starting to think i mixed up a few things. Land for sale is not the same as empty dead land. And, mainland (or parts of it at least)  can appear dead to me, it might as well can be the darn timezone bug thingy. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Totally agree about clubs. They KILL the land for those actually using the land on a regular basis. Not just in the number people who can crowd your sim but the lag is terrible. Which is why I bought up much of the land on my sim, to reduce the issue. Do I own the whole thing? no I don't, but I own a good portion of it and those left aren't clubs. I don't even need any more land or prims, but if any of them left I would definitely buy up the land for no other reason than to just keep the lag down.

land that is themed has more l$ value than unthemed land

theming dont have to mean zoning tho

like beach land is a theme. same the cities like by Barcola

if the moles were given more land/power to play with then they would make heaps of different themes all over the mainland I think

+

themes help to make cohesive neighborhoods. like-minded people are attracted to themes and become neighbors with others who general share the same tastes as them

I would like to see the premium account free tier raised from 512 to 4096 sq m while cutting out the group bonus.  A 4096 plot of land is a perfect starter size that allows you the room to express yourself.  The larger plots of land may also cut down on the junkyard effect the mainland suffers from and make buying there a more attractive prospect.  

Yes I know LL will be taking a hit in revenue, but I think the prospect makes mainland and premium memberships much more attractive.  And before the private estates start to moan, they have to remember that this is mainland we are talking about.  It is a completely different experience than estate land with extremely limited options and controls for the land.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4313 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.