Why do people say they can,"record and save" chat logs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

Remind me to never IM you..........I just got me a brand new Vizio 1080P, 55 inche Smart HDTV  a week ago and you can't have it.  :smileyvery-happy:

i have the sony already anyways hehehe

from the last one that IM'd me :matte-motes-evil-invert:

Roseysun Galicia wrote:

It is because of TOS subsection
that states:

1. Disclosure

Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed.
    Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

Yeah, but it has been shown here in the forums, many times over, that posting said disclaimer does not constitute consent by the other parties.  Who's to say that the people involved in chat or IM have even read the profile?  And I personally know a person that got banned for a few days for sharing IMs without the other person's consent, trying instead to claim that the profile disclaimer meant implied consent.

To return to the OP's actual question, I have no idea why people put this on their profiles, there's no need.  It's perfectly OK to 'Record and Save' chat logs - most people do this anyway, by default. What the TOS prohibits is subsequently revealing those chat logs to another person within the SL environment - revealing them inworld or posting them to these forums a TOS offence, but posting them to a 3rd-party website is not.

Arkady Arkright wrote:

To return to the OP's actual question, I have no idea why people put this on their profiles, there's no need.  It's perfectly OK to 'Record and Save' chat logs - most people do this anyway, by default. What the TOS prohibits is subsequently revealing those chat logs to another person within the SL environment -
revealing them inworld or posting them to these forums
a TOS offence, but
posting them to a 3rd-party website is not.

sSig_agreed.gif   This is the truth, the whole thruth, and nothing but the truth.

A lot of the ones who have it are heavily into roleplaying in Second Life, and I guess that's a warning the off topic IM can be shared or something. That's what some have told me - when I every once in a great while get tired of reading that disclaimer and ask them about it.

Otherwise, I don't know. The especially puzzling disclaimers are the ones that say "whether you read this or do not read this, you agree I can share your IMs with anyone."

How does that work exactly? :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.