Can you get free land

redxrob

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As Valerie says.

But you can practice ( http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Editing-terrain/ta-p/700061 ):

Practice, Practice, Practice!

Before trying this tool on your own land, teleport here, where Torley Linden has set up a Terraform Box. Test the Edit Terrain tool and become comfortable with it, then head to your own land to terraform with confidence.

ill be honest i live in a village for free but i dont edit stuff and i am only allowed 55 prims there. 45 if you just have a home. but i have a mall space there as well so i got +10 prims. so i would say no but there are places where you can practice terraforming land. idk where they are at b/c i dont do it but i would do a search on it. helps me all the time.

good luck and maybe find you a suga mama might be a new way of doing things lol :)

There are some people, very few, that live on land that they don't have to pay money for but generally they are providing something to the landowner in return.  Either its compensation for a job, your being there attracts other people who do pay,  or perhaps out of generosity due to a desire to help, friendship or a more serious relationship.  Even in these cases though, I'd bet my life that if you have a falling out with the owner, you are not going to be able to continue use the land.  SL being SL, it could happen due to drama with out any fault on your part .  It could happen at any time and you find yourself ejected banned and with a Lost and Found folder full of a jumble of returned items that is a real mess. So your only secure on free land, in relationship to how valuable the payback is to the owner at any given time. :smileywink:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

There are some people, very few, that live on land that they don't have to pay money for but generally they are providing something to the landowner in return.  Either its compensation for a job, your being there attracts other people who do pay,  or perhaps out of generosity due to a desire to help, friendship or a more serious relationship.  Even in these cases though, I'd bet my life that if you have a falling out with the owner, you are not going to be able to continue use the land.  SL being SL, it could happen due to drama with out any fault on your part .  It could happen at any time and you find yourself ejected banned and with a Lost and Found folder full of a jumble of returned items that is a real mess. So your only secure on free land, in relationship to how valuable the payback is to the owner at any given time. :smileywink:

Is it time for a reality check?

There is no "land" in SL .. All is merely a cartoon your computer throws onto a two dimensional monitor by processing binary code sent over the internet from a server LL leases in Cali or Texas somewhere. You "own" nothing .. not the code, not the server its stored on, not the infrastructure its transmitted over. The cartoon you pretend is "land" doesnt even belong to you. You pay LL "tier" in order to be able to claim that its "yours." So long as you pay for the cartoon LL will probably allow you to maintain your illusions ~after all, all they care about is taking your $$~ yet youre allowed the cartoon entirely at the whim of the corporation. Someone could accuse you of being underage & ~poof~ there goes access to "your" account. LL doesnt even need a reason to ban you. They could make a mistake, or ban you on a whim, or go bankrupt & have their assets repossessed by creditors .. and you'd have absolutely no recourse. All these pretty cartoons, the toy economy, everything .. is an illusion. It's a game. A role play. None of it is real. Actually, you're more "secure" "living" on virtual "land" for free. That way: nothing invested nothing lost.

Jeanne

I know that land in SL is not like land in RL insofar as its virtual server space not dirt.  However it is analogous to 'real' land in RL.  Try not paying your mortgage or taxes and see what happens.  Also a disaster can wipe real land out completely with less warning, logic or reason than LL would have in shutting the grid down. So I do own the land I pay for in SL in the sense that I have full and exclusive rights to it as long as i pay my tier(taxes) and LL doesn't create a disaster by closing the grid much like RL land.

As far as acc9ounts, LL can make you disappear if you violate TOS, but the government in RL can do the same if you violate the law either temporarily by putting you in prison, or permanently by executing you if the crime is severe.

In reality, I do own things in SL.  I own the IP rights to the content i create.  If LL goes poof tomorrow, I still own it as it all sits on my hard drive and I can take it to another grid.  If you take it without my permission I can take you to RL court under the DMCA and you could end up paying RL money in fines and /or damages and get a vacation courtesy of the government.

I know from your previous rants that you think everything should be free in RLand SL, and everyone is out to take advantage of everyone else for money, but that's not how the world really works and has no bearing on reality. 

>> If you take it without my permission I can take you to RL court under the DMCA and you could end up paying RL money in fines and /or damages and get a vacation courtesy of the government.<<

I dont want your virtual stuff Amythyst .. not even for free .. Whatever it is it has no worth or value whatsoever to me .. its just a silly cartoon .. Going to court over pixels is ridiculous .. Seems to me that you take your cartoons FAR too seriously .. LoL

Jeanne

Ok kids can we get back to what I was asking anyway I'm happy to spend some money on some land as long as it's what I want looking to setup my hotel business so a nices good looking land would be good please get back to me A.S.A.P thanks.

I doubt you will get free land to set up a hotel business.  But, if you look in the real estate forum, maybe you'll find something you like.

Also, inworld, you can look under Search/Land.  Plug in the space or price you're looking for and jump around until you find something that grabs ya!

Good luck!

JeanneAnne wrote:

There is no "land" in SL .. All is merely a cartoon your computer throws onto a two dimensional monitor by processing binary code sent over the internet from a server LL leases in Cali or Texas somewhere. You "own" nothing .. not the code, not the server its stored on, not the infrastructure its transmitted over. The cartoon you pretend is "land" doesnt even belong to you. You pay LL "tier" in order to be able to claim that its "yours." So long as you pay for the cartoon LL will probably allow you to maintain your illusions ~after all, all they care about is taking your $$~ yet youre allowed the cartoon entirely at the whim of the corporation. Someone could accuse you of being underage & ~poof~ there goes access to "your" account. LL doesnt even need a reason to ban you. They could make a mistake, or ban you on a whim, or go bankrupt & have their assets repossessed by creditors .. and you'd have absolutely no recourse. All these pretty cartoons, the toy economy, everything .. is an illusion. It's a game. A role play. None of it is real. Actually, you're more "secure" "living" on virtual "land" for free. That way: nothing invested nothing lost.

Jeanne

The argument that SL land isnt real, while its a valid argument, does have its limits.

The bottom line is the Second Life economy is just as real, and just as fake, as any other given world economy.

What props up the US dollar for example?

Want a real reality check Jeanne?

The answer is nothing. Zero. Nada. Zip.

What props up the so called Real World's real estate markets?

Also nothing.

You can argue against the "reality" of this, that, or the other thing all you want.

In the meantime I'm cashing out my "fake" SL currency, turning it into "real" USD, and paying my bills with it.

Thanks for stirring up the pot, someone has to!

Lizard :D

Lizard Howl wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

The argument that SL land isnt real, while its a valid argument, does have its limits.

The bottom line is the Second Life economy is just as real, and just as fake, as any other given world economy.

What props up the US dollar for example?

Want a real reality check Jeanne?

The answer is nothing. Zero. Nada. Zip.

What props up the so called Real World's real estate markets?

Also nothing.

You can argue against the "reality" of this, that, or the other thing all you want.

In the meantime I'm cashing out my "fake" SL currency, turning it into "real" USD, and paying my bills with it.

Thanks for stirring up the pot, someone has to!

Lizard
:D

perhaps to say what is real?

JeanneAnne wrote:

>>In the meantime I'm cashing out my "fake" SL currency, turning it into "real" USD, and paying my bills with it.<<

Are you paying taxes on this income?

Jeanne

If you cash out, it goes out through PayPal. PayPal will let the IRS know about money coming in, so he will be paying taxes on it. 

It's considered "miscellaneous income" by the IRS, or could be declared a hobby or even a business ... depends onhow you want to do it. I declare it as "hobby income".  Haven't reached the thresholdof needing to pay withholding on it yet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.