Meh.. "newbie help" groups are a joke now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

they used to have paid staff helping in the way back

people then complain that they didnt help

so they change to official volunteers

people then complain that the official volunteers didnt help

so they sack the official volunteers and made gateways run by resident volunteers

people then complain that the resident volunteer gateways didnt help

so they cancel the gateways

then they made islands with paid greeter staff on (again)

people then complain that the staff not only didnt help but they also didnt know what they were talking about

so they made F1 : Help \ howto...

people now complaining that there isnt anyone left to moan at

+

so anyways

what you want help with exactly ???

(:

I see a lot of extremely helpful volunteers inworld at some of the help locations.  Then there are those self-help educational exhibits at places like Caledon Oxbridge University Community Gateway and the classes put on by groups like NCI and then bloggers like Thinkerer Melville at virtualoutworlding.com who put out so much content.  There is A LOT of good help out there.

http://leeherevw.blogspot.com/2012/04/second-life-im-in-now-what-part-i-get.html

http://www.rletc.com/showthread.php?2799-Second-Life-Help-for-New-Residents

LuciaRiley wrote:

I will just be posting my questions on the forum nowadays.

yes

ask general and one offs in the Answers section on the forum. people pretty good on here. can get a actual real answer on just about everything you ever wants to know

is some good places inworld as well. but they more structured really. like they have inworld classes which are pretty good if you wants to learn how to build and make stuff

All true, but Linden Lab doesn't have a coherent strategy to deal with the problems of new players, and these long-established help organisations get a stream of new players dumped on their locations, with little or no help from LL.

But the Ahern School of Scatology, Vituperation, Extemporised Blasphemy and Griefing seems to be thriving without LL help.

I understand how confusing and frustrating it can be sometimes as a new resident (or even an older one at times!).  There are many helpful groups and some have been named in this thread.  The Answers Forum that Griffin linked is also very helpful.  Yes, there are residents just like you who provide this help but they are also the ones who have encountered some of the same problems you have.

Give these resources a fair try before you diss them.

Examples help.  What question(s) have you posted in the Answers Forum for which you have not received good replies?  Links are helpful.

As a recent newbie I found the volunteer groups to be quite friendly...sometimes overly so.  The self-study posters at some places provide a nice contrast to places that are simply full of people.   I don't think the typical newbie knows which of these they are getting, which might be a place for improvement, but generally I found folks to be helpful.

Yes, I should say that when I started SL I was dumped into some crowded and laggy "welcome area" with no knowledge of anything.  It was only because I saw a sign with an advert for NCI, and went there, that I got any sort of help.  And I got a lot!  Caledon Oxbridge was a later construction but what a brilliant walkthrough it is, for those that want something self-paced.

But yes, too, the world seems an almost endlessly empty place these days.

Irene Muni wrote:

Hi LuciaRiley.

Are you sure New Citizens Incorporated is a joke?

Are you sure Virtual Ability is a joke?

Only two examples, I know there are more (and not only in English language
:)
).

(edited for typo)

Yes, . New Citizens Inc is the biggest one thus far. The Shelter is only half decent sometimes. I've tried all the ones suggested to me and they don't really have anyone ever in them who hire volunteers to do their job with being there. Being new to SL is harder than being new to a brand new school. :/ It's uncalled for how much effort you have to put in just to fit in.

I'm done with those sort of SIMs, because no one is ever online in them much.

It's a pity to hear that about NCI.  4 or 5 years ago, when SL was still popular, Kuula at least was always busy and staffed, 24/7.  NCI Hamnida and Beach usually had some staff around (me, for instance) but there were some timezone gaps.  Their other locations were only used for classes but were still monitored in case anyone appeared lost there (it's common for people to mistake timezones and arrive for a class at the wrong time).  I suppose they just can't find enough enthusiastic volunteers any more.

Immy posted recently although she doesn't very often.  Perhaps she'll see this and comment.

LuciaRiley wrote:

Irene Muni wrote:

Hi LuciaRiley.

).

(edited for typo)

Yes, . New Citizens Inc is the biggest one thus far. The Shelter is only half decent sometimes. I've tried all the ones suggested to me and they don't really have anyone ever in them who hire volunteers to do their job with being there. Being new to SL is harder than being new to a brand new school.
:/
It's uncalled for how much effort you have to put in just to fit in.

Instead of feeling so aggrieved of the help or lack of help offered..try doing a little leg work yourself. Ill bet most any question you have needed an answer to has been posted here before..and has good answers offered by a few people.

Utilise search in these very forums..its a mine of information.

Faithless Babii wrote:

LuciaRiley wrote:

Irene Muni wrote:

Hi LuciaRiley.

).

(edited for typo)

Yes, . New Citizens Inc is the biggest one thus far. The Shelter is only half decent sometimes. I've tried all the ones suggested to me and they don't really have anyone ever in them who hire volunteers to do their job with being there. Being new to SL is harder than being new to a brand new school.
:/
It's uncalled for how much effort you have to put in just to fit in.

Instead of feeling so aggrieved of the help or lack of help offered..try doing a little leg work yourself. Ill bet most any question you have needed an answer to has been posted here before..and has good answers offered by a few people.

Utilise search in these very forums..its a mine of information.

Because the wiki doesn't help, and the knowledge base is only semi helpful. I dunno why I'd even ask questions cause most ask me to use search. I do, and then I go into the SIM to only find it be inactive or no longer working. If it's an item it's no issue.

LuciaRiley wrote:

Because the wiki doesn't help, and the knowledge base is only semi helpful. I dunno why I'd even ask questions cause most ask me to use search. I do, and then I go into the SIM to only find it be inactive or no longer working. If it's an item it's no issue.

I checked and saw that you have only asked one question so far in the Answers section and you weren't directed to search for your answer.  Rarely do the people there that answer questions tell you to use search.  You usually can get a specific answer to most questions that you state clearly.  Sometimes people post sections of the  knowledge base or wiki there that specifically answers your question, many times with a link to the article so if you want to read it in full. If you still don't understand what to do, there is nothing wrong with asking further questions about the specific things you don't understand.  I think you will find that the volunteers there are very patient.

If your asking questions in world, some people may direct you to search.  However, some also will answer your question in full.  I'm not sure who your asking.  If its just random people, then you should understand that not everyone has time to spend giving detailed answers as they are busy themselves.  If it is volunteer helpers, keep in mind that they are probably being bombarded with questions from all the other newbs there.  However, once again if you look the answer up as directed and still have questions, you can certainly ask them more specific questions.

Perhaps what you need is to find a mentor who will work with you one on one.  Many experienced residents will "adopt" a newb and make themselves available to that person to answer any questions they have, actually show them around and take them to places that match their interests, take them shopping to help them fix up their avatar, and also introduce them to people. They ask nothing in return for this other than once you have enough experience to 'adopt' a newb yourself and pay it forward so to speak.

To find a mentor, you can post a request for one here in the forums, ask in groups you belong to that allow general chat (check the group charter) or even search for groups specifically formed to help newbs.  If you are talking to someone that is friendly and knowledgeable ask them if they would do it or recommend someone to you.  Just be sure to be polite and friendly with your request and willing to learn by doing some of the work yourself.  Also say in your request what times your on line and what your interests and needs are to find a good match. However, don't expect that everything will be presented to you on a silver platter or expect to monopolize your mentor's entire on line time as they have a life too.

Jeez, people have asked you what help you need.   But all you want to do is whine.   Whine how SL should provide you something at thier expense.  Are you like,  part of some kind of half-assed  SL Occupy group or something.   Thinking that you are owed free services?   Well, free for you, but someone else has to pay for.  

When people keep asking what help you need, why don't you quit whining and answer them?

Lynda Baran wrote:

Jeez, people have asked you what help you need.   But all you want to do is whine.   Whine how SL should provide you something at thier expense.  Are you like,  part of some kind of half-assed  SL Occupy group or something.   Thinking that you are owed free services?   Well, free for you, but someone else has to pay for.  

When people keep asking what help you need, why don't you quit whining and answer them?

Implying I am whining, instead of telling others how I see SL and these newbie friendly groups.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.