How long have we had a moon?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

Think this is the right time to add this.

A lot of the impacts seems to have been done during in a short time.

Also there are what appear to be old lava flows or mares

this implies that once the moon was active once but something happened to it that caused it to be peppered badly then become in active.

This could be explained by it leaving the orbit of a brown dwarf and entering an orbit around us, now 64 million years ago a spilt opened up in Russia, 100's of miles long and wide, it covered India in a mile layer of lava, the event was huge and poisoned the sea for 200,000 years, I know you think that a meteor did, that's cos the US didn't want Russia having the glory for the extinction event.

No one can explain that event, it killed almost all life on the planet and for 100,000 years was covering most of Russia and all of India in lava.

Again this can be explained by a very large body coming close to us and entering an orbit with us.

Sounds like youve been reading immanuel velakovsky ..

The deccan traps are about 65 my old .. i believe that theyre the resultuv the Chicxulub impact off the coast of Yucatan .. India was an island southuv the equator then .. the shock waves from the impact split the crust on the other side of the planet causing the great basalt flow .. Direct consequences of the impact coupled w/ indirect from the basalt outpouring caused a mass extinction pulse .. thats my hypothesis ennyway .. Many wont agree

I also think that the older & even bigger siberian traps were caused by the end-Permian impact .. Impact crater may have been subducted by now ..

ET impacts follow a power law relationship .. impacts of small magnitude occur frequently & major impacts are rare .. Impacts of end-Cretaceous magnitude may well occur w/ a mean frequency of ~65 mys .. Dont make the dumb mistake tho .. of confusing mean frequency of recurrance w/ cyclicity .. That was the mistake raup & sepkowsky made initially .. caused em to hypothesize the existence of the "death star Nemesis" that comes around ever ~65 mys stirring up comets outuv the Oort belt .. Idea is nonsense tho .. so dont fall for it .. Just cuz something may have a mean frequency of ~65 my doesnt mean that it happens every ~65 mys .. could happen the next day .. could happen hundreds of mys later .. Astronomers find no evidence for a brown dwarf binary of Sol .. & theres plenty of stuff orbiting Sol as is .. that can hit the Ocean Planet .. w/out needing 2 postul8 some "death star" coming around to cause it .. All this stuff has been rehearsed ad infinitum, ad nauseum Lucinda .. Read the lit on it if youre interested ..

Jeanne

ROB34466IIIa wrote:

Since the Apollo 11 missions, moonrock has been tested on age and has been proven to be the same billion year old basalt rock the earth is made of.

I thought it was made out of cheese?

/noms on a moonrock.

edit: dang it, somebody beat me to it... /sigh @ selfepicfail.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

it's made of cheese..it always has been and always will be..

Oh yes! But what kind? We know it's not Wensleydale or Stilton...

I ate some Parmesan and Old Amsterdam last night myself and felt delighted .. really recommend them.

I have not mentioned a death star, but there is evidence that we are not part of the milky way but are in fact a small galaxy passing though, if true then we are passing though the milky way plane now, since IRAS we have discovered many brown dwarfs around us that seem to be part of the milky way and not us, this does give the probability of a collision or a pass close enough to affect the orbits of our planets, this is all new stuff.

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

I have not mentioned a death star, but there is evidence that we are not part of the milky way but are in fact a small galaxy passing though, if true then we are passing though the milky way plane now, since IRAS we have discovered many brown dwarfs around us that seem to be part of the milky way and not us, this does give the probability of a collision or a pass close enough to affect the orbits of our planets, this is all new stuff.

You mentioned brown dwarfs .. Raup & sepkowsky's "Nemesis" was supposed 2 be a brown dwarf .. so what youre saying isnt new .. & has long been refuted

Sols system lies w/in the galactic plane & orbits around the galactic center in concert w/ other star systems in the Orion - Cygnus arm .. So i dont see what evidence there is for the idea that our systems is just "passing thru" the Milky Way & isnt really "part of" it ..

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

You mentioned brown dwarfs .. Raup & sepkowsky's "Nemesis" was supposed 2 be a brown dwarf .. so what youre saying isnt new .. & has long been refuted

Jeanne

/me mumbles : I dunno .... I still think she' s secretly admiring Tony Cox. I think her hope is he is a tripod and will impact on her just before Christmas.

>>Carbon dating shows moon rocks to be even slightly older than earth rocks..<<

Uh ... C14 has a halflife of only 5730 yrs .. it cant be used for dating stuff much older thana bout 60K yrs .. Moon rocks are ~4 bys old .. Stick to posting what you knowa bout Sy ;)

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

>>Carbon dating shows moon rocks to be even slightly older than earth rocks..<<

Uh ... C14 has a halflife of only 5730 yrs .. it cant be used for dating stuff much older thana bout 60K yrs .. Moon rocks are ~4 bys old .. Stick to posting what you knowa bout Sy
;)

Jeanne

He was already corrected and admitted the mistake. Read before posting, Jeanne.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.