What would you like to see in a mesh parts pack?

Fauxglove Silverweb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In another thread, I was discussing selling directly to merchants as opposed to casual residents, and the topic of selling full perm parts and components came up. Great idea, love it, no clue what to start with. So the best thing to do is just ask, I guess. If you were going to pick up full perm mesh parts on the auction, what would you be interested in? What do you hate building that you wish you could just pick up at market? What have you been looking for ages for, but can't find? (Or if you do find, it's terrible quality?) Thanks for the help! :)

Long skirts or dresses that don't crumple. I have tried virtually every mesh demo that I can find, but they all crumple under the bust when the avatar sits. The long skirts are worse than system skirts (imo) because they not only crumple, but, because of the alpha, from certain angles the viewer can see "up" the skirt and there's no body part there, or if the wearer has shoes or boots on, their legs are invisible and the shoe/boot looks like it is just floating. I bought a FP long dress (stupid me, no demo), but the skirt part was as stiff as a sculptie (not a good look for a long skirt that's supposed to move with the avatar). I tried a few shorter dresses that were well made and constructed so that you couldn't see "into" or "up" the mesh, so that was good...they just need to be long. Right now, I haven't seen anything in a builders pack for this clothing type that's good enough to work with and use in my creations. And the UV maps are not easy to texturize at all (from what I've tried). Ultimately, I would prefer to buy the entire file (meaning be able to upload the Mesh myself) - most FP Mesh right now just relies on the creator to attach a root prim (some offer the whole file, but not many). I'm sure there are technical details I don't understand that prevent what I'm looking for. Maybe you're just the person to breakthrough with something wonderful! I wish you the best of luck!

I want some mesh horns and talons that I can make in large sizes and use with architecture (I hate 'the invisible blob" effect along with those goofy phantom solid prims. I would also like to see some mesh objects that are hollowed out and can be used for building sized living space, mainly rounded/cylindrical stuff that can be used for building tower sections that are open on both top and bottom like a lamp shade but other shapes would be nice too. Perfectly rounded spheres both hollow and solid would also be nice. :-D

Linden bear traps.

Meshes that scream bloody murder at being ripped off for Land Impact resources when they're resized.

Meshes with 1024 polygons that count as one prim regardless of size.

Meshes that count as the same regardless of whether they contain scripts or move.

Meshes that don't claim to save resources because of triangle count/size/scripts and yet allow 8 materials on what ends up being a push toward smaller mesh sizes, making small mesh with multiple materials a greater resource hog than large mesh with fewer materials on hardware that hasn't been updated in years.

Basically a way to utilize mesh like you would use it outside of SL, rather than poor implementation by a company that by their own admission doesn't even own a copy of various commercial 3D packages, let alone being able to provide plugins for these products.

Dunce caps.

Ball pean hammers to tap foreheads with.

Steam powered reality checker.

Non avatar rigged mesh. Goes yummy with pathfinding.

Packs to re-create ruins of malls and shopping centers.

Partially sniping, but right ... check out existing builder packs and items on the marketplace and look for what you can do better, or for inspiration as well. Ideas breed ideas and browsing those will get thousands of examples in front of you.

Or try to identify popular or great niches and then determine what parts they might share in common.

Arwen Serpente wrote:

Long skirts or dresses that don't crumple. I have tried virtually every mesh demo that I can find, but they all crumple under the bust when the avatar sits. The long skirts are worse than system skirts (imo) because they not only crumple, but, because of the alpha, from certain angles the viewer can see "up" the skirt and there's no body part there, or if the wearer has shoes or boots on, their legs are invisible and the shoe/boot looks like it is just floating. I bought a FP long dress (stupid me, no demo), but the skirt part was as stiff as a sculptie (not a good look for a long skirt that's supposed to move with the avatar). I tried a few shorter dresses that were well made and constructed so that you couldn't see "into" or "up" the mesh, so that was good...they just need to be long. Right now, I haven't seen anything in a builders pack for this clothing type that's good enough to work with and use in my creations. And the UV maps are not easy to texturize at all (from what I've tried). Ultimately, I would prefer to buy the entire file (meaning be able to upload the Mesh myself) - most FP Mesh right now just relies on the creator to attach a root prim (some offer the whole file, but not many). I'm sure there are technical details I don't understand that prevent what I'm looking for. Maybe you're just the person to breakthrough with something wonderful! I wish you the best of luck!

I think it's not the best time yet, Arwen, to buy or sell mesh clothes. I won't do any clothing items under the current conditions. Once the mesh deformer project is finished and integrated in SL I might give it a try. 

The biggest problem with mesh clothing is in my eyes that the clothes don't fit the shapes from avatars. How many woman will be willing to change their shape to be able to fit a piece of clothing? Onces the mesh deformer is finished, you won't have to hide parts of the body with alpha layers to be able to fit a dress or a pair of jeans. Mesh clothes will not change your shape anymore, the clothing will fit you, in stead of you must change to fit the clothes. 

When it comes to UV mapping, that is a piece of art on itself. I often find myself spending more time on making proper UV maps, then on making the mesh models. I think UV mapping it is often underestimated by mesh creators. A pretty dress that is has a very good UV map looks the same from the outside as a dress with a hard-to-texture UV map or a UV map that causes distortions in the design. And you can not tell on the outside what work is done on the UV maps, unless the creator shows his UVmaps with his products, then you have at least a bit of an idea before you buy.

But most of the time it will be a matter of trial and error, and search as long till you find full perms creators who do a good job on UV mapping.

I'd be interested in buying small accessories that can be modified (textured) to go with different outfits, such as hair decorations, arm bands, belts, haute couture collars, that sort of thing. I agree with some of the other merchants who answered this thread. The UV maps need to be included because texturing someone else's mesh is a pain and a sample of a textured map would make me pay even more.

Feel free to contant me at sweet.distractions@hotmail.ca. We can talk. :)

The most useful things for me would be basic (and some less basic) building supplies. Things like walls with different shape/size doorways and windows, hollow cubes with doors/windows, L-shaped walls with doors/window holes. 

I am always looking for architectural elements like detailed One Piece doors- stitched proper so they work with a normal door script, windows, facade and trim pieces from a variety of building styles, roofs, stairs, railings, etc.

I'm sure I could think of a few dozen other things, but these are the pieces that are annoying me at the moment. I use a lot of native prims in building, some sculpt too. I would like to use mesh in my buildings though, because of the prim savings and ability to texture multiple faces. 

Oh, and multiple texturable faces is a must have for me! I bought some really nice mesh banisters but found out they only have one face. What good is that?

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

I think it's not the best time yet, Arwen, to buy or sell mesh clothes. I won't do any clothing items under the current conditions. Once the mesh deformer project is finished and integrated in SL I might give it a try. 

The biggest problem with mesh clothing is in my eyes that the clothes don't fit the shapes from avatars. How many woman will be willing to change their shape to be able to fit a piece of clothing? Onces the mesh deformer is finished, you won't have to hide parts of the body with alpha layers to be able to fit a dress or a pair of jeans. Mesh clothes will not change your shape anymore, the clothing will fit you, in stead of you must change to fit the clothes. 

When it comes to UV mapping, that is a piece of art on itself. I often find myself spending more time on making proper UV maps, then on making the mesh models. I think UV mapping it is often underestimated by mesh creators. A pretty dress that is has a very good UV map looks the same from the outside as a dress with a hard-to-texture UV map or a UV map that causes distortions in the design. And you can not tell on the outside what work is done on the UV maps, unless the creator shows his UVmaps with his products, then you have at least a bit of an idea before you buy.

But most of the time it will be a matter of trial and error, and search as long till you find full perms creators who do a good job on UV mapping.

I agree with you Madeliefste. I think a lot of designers are running forward because being able to say "Mesh" is a buzz word right now.  I won't put anything out on the market, no matter what the building materials are, unless it really meets a certain standard. My customer base is a perfect example of variety in shapes among avatars, and I want to keep them happy. Since I've already bought some FP Mesh, I'll keep experimenting with texturizing it (UV maps) for practice since it is so different than the standard avatar UVs (even if I don't put the result on the Market)

For me, Mesh is another building tool in our toolbox, not the only tool. When appropriate, I'll use it.  I look forward to what creators like you and the OP will develop.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.