Accused of Hacking

Aremat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A few minutes ago I was tabbed out looking at clothes on the marketplace, and when I tabbed back in one of my friends told me that someone else said I was a hacker, and that I was trying to send stuff to near by people.  Now I was not sending anything to anyone, like I said I was tabbed out, but yet someone says I'm trying to hack.  I don't even know how to do something like that, and now I'm stuck in Ornitz and I can't teleport anywhere else. I'm really mad about this.

Even if you ARE stuck, it has nothing to do with the accusation. If you still can't teleport, try relogging. It's an independent problem, probably having to do with lag, region issues, or an issue with your computer.

People report all kinds of things. Check your email to see if you've gotten something saying you've been reported. If not, it's completely unimportant. Just ignore it. If so, it's still unimportant - LL will take a look, and unless they see something seriously awry, nothing will come of it.

A good thing to note, though, is that if you stand around somewhere without moving for a substantial period of time, some people may assume you are copybotting. Sandboxes are better places to go (although you risk griefers), and your own home (if you have one) is even better. Then you can tab out all you want. (Note: That's not to say that you did anything wrong, because you didn't. I'm just saying, that might be why they got that idea. It's also possible someone used your name as their display name, or created an account with a very similar name - either deliberately or accidentally - and was sending out copybotted material.)

Unless you recieve a notification from LL, don't worry about it.

You shouldn't be stuck there, at least not for long. Land owners can freeze you (although it's never worked, in my experience; eject is more to the point anyway) but I don't think they can do that for very long.

You are probably wearing an item that is sending stuff to people without  you being aware of it. That, or someone is spoofing your name and doing so.

Try removing all attachments and see if that helps. Especially something called Life Shop AO or whatever...an oldie but still making the rounds apparently.

"if you stand around somewhere without moving for a substantial period of time, some people may assume you are copybotting"

Why is that? I guess I don't really know how copybotting is done, but I would imagine it would take no more time than it takes for stuff to download and rez anyway. In that case the behaviour of a copybotter would be no different  than that of anyone waiting for stuff to rez. What are the copybotters doing while they are standing around accumulating suspicion? Or is that suspicion just groundless rumour? (Please don't answer with anything that might aid people in starting to copybot. I don't mind remaining in ignorance that much.)

Well I see the accusations about hacking all the time not only in Second Life. A lot of people however don't know what the Real Term hacking means, and a lot of games people call cheaters hacks when half of them are unexperienced kids who have downloaded a cheat program to Aimbot in a game, or in Second Life a CopyBot viewer with modified griefer functions. Some of these programs actually contain Keyloggers,Spyware,OR Trojans.

Keep in mind that I like Opensourced SL because it has good functions to begin with CopyBot was not a bad thing but people have to abuse the damn thing all the time so it got a very bad name, and now people are treating SL like a pirate bay although I see it both ways of Intellectual Property violations not only by CopyBot but people using Real Life mesh which they don't fully have permission to although unless the company files a valid DMCA nothing will happen.

Anyways to get back on topic it could have possibly been someone with a Display Name similar to yours just randomly griefing you, or using an object with your name as the object to send out Stolen, or illegal goods this is used by Griefers in the purpose to Defame other residents, and it is nothing new I have seen it, I have even been hit by them before.

* Also do not wear objects you do not know if they can be trusted, as these can contain scripts which hand out illegal stolen items, or griefer objects to others, then then LL might blame you but more than that it could hurt your rep in SL.* It works by detecting near by agent and handing another object from a rootprim.

I would just ignore them however know that Griefers like to do things for the laughs, and they can attack a lot of residents and claim it is you doing it, some people in Second Life are stupid enough to believe a griefer and I know it is sad but Look how much trouble I have got into in Second Life some of it my fault yes we all make mistakes, however I am talking about the Griefers who attacked certain sims, and developers on the grid claiming to be me, and calling me a Bot, or a Hacker which I found was funny. The sad thing however some people are stupid enough to not open their eyes and see when a griefer on their own lands is the one behind the issue and they end up actually blamming someone without proof such as what happend to me a year ago, and then rumors get spread by their management that I am a griefer or hacker and then I find my name being sent out in various admin groups which is a violation of the TOS under defame/harassment.  * The problem this creates is when a resident does believe you are actually the one griefing they Ban you, then Rant on you too sometimes and this can create issues for you as a normal resident if people are dumb enough to fall for it.* All I can say is that griefers are bad but people who support them, and do things in their favor and help them out can be just as bad.

If you are stuck in a region however I would right click on your avatar and click detach all  or on viewer 3 right click, go to Take Off  then Detach All  This will detach any objects you might have worn which are keeping you in the same place, or maybe you are wearing too many scripts this can often cause too many teleport issues because the server can have problems loading too many scripts sometimes. Another issue is if you are in a place where people are running too many scripts or the sim is lagging bad, or trying to teleport into a place where the sim is lagging bad.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

A good thing to note, though, is that if you stand around somewhere without moving for a substantial period of time, some people may assume you are copybotting. 

Yes, and such people are @$$#01e$.  I often get suddenly called away from SL by RL for periods varying from a few minutes to many hours.

The copybotters I have seen could be seen to run from stationery expensive non scripted item to the next, their arm perpetually in the air, fast as they could go. From one sim to the next. I don't think they stand still any more, mostly, if at all. Of course now some will probably do just that, to hide it...

My point is that you can't tell just because someone is loitering. They might be up to no good but 99.9 percent of the time they are just AFK. Away from keyboard.

I've had people do that handing out items thing on my land too (the bracelet thing), one girl knew it and smirked about it, next thing she knew she was airborne. I don't know what the items do (tracking IP for all I know), but it's a form of griefing, because at the very least the people who wear it will be handing out the same item against their knowledge or will.

Aremat wrote:

A few minutes ago I was tabbed out looking at clothes on the marketplace, and when I tabbed back in one of my friends told me that someone else said I was a hacker, and that I was trying to send stuff to near by people.  Now I was not sending anything to anyone, like I said I was tabbed out, but yet someone says I'm trying to hack.  I don't even know how to do something like that, and now I'm stuck in Ornitz and I can't teleport anywhere else. I'm really mad about this.

if someone starts flappin their trap like that out in public..tell them they best shut it up or they will be AR'd for defamation..that or just AR it..

so tired of idiots flappin on about crap they know nothing about that messes with other peoples SL's..

maybe if they get some emails for their big mouth they may learn to tone it down some..

Most people know absolutely nothing but talk about that or relay things they don't know about or believe stuff they don't know and cannot confirm.

Just ignore them. Mute or AR or both.

I often stand still in shops or elsewhere when I have to pay attention to RL. I got never accused of anything in the last years though.

The original copybot did not had anything to do with bots as it was a program that intercepted the data between the servers and the viewer and stored it on the computer ... considering that a sim with lots of content on it would take a long time to be stored the one wanting to copy it would need to stand around for a rather long time I guess ... and that might be where the bot-connection came from since I somehow can't imagine those people to be the most patient.

However to answer to the original post .. I think chasing people away and accusing them if they stand around for a moment too long is a good way for a store to loose customers.

The copybot needs only a fraction of a second but it needs the object rezzed in world. In a shop you can't find the object rezzed inworld. So the botter will just buy the object he wants to copy or search it somewhere inworld.

But some shop owners just panic on everything they ever hear somewhere.

There is another copy thing, thats textures. For that you dump all textures that are displayed in your graphics card on harddisk. Tha's all you see and that can take a while - the same time as everyone with a slow connection needs to load all textures of course and again, in a shop you dont find that textures - the copy botter needs to buy the clothes or find someone who wears it.

Banning everyone who hasn't an ultra fast internet connection is again very stupid and shows that the shop owner never checked the internet for infos that seem to be so important for them.

Nova Convair wrote:

Most people know absolutely nothing but talk about that or relay things they don't know about or believe stuff they don't know and cannot confirm.

Just ignore them. Mute or AR or both.

I often stand still in shops or elsewhere when I have to pay attention to RL. I got never accused of anything in the last years though.

ya i shop like that..i don't walk around a whole store..and a mall i'll just cam in..

if they boot me it's their pay day not mine..i'll find something similar elsewhere in the zillions of other places that love money..infact it may be my destiny that something else where ends up being better than the one i almost wasted money on LOL

but i too have never been mistaken for a bot..must be that change sound going off in their ear over and over..hehehehe

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Are you wearing some attachment that might be spamming people with offers? A free AO, for instance? I know of at least one that does do that, and the people using it often aren't even aware of it unless someone tells them.

I actually was wearing a free AO...(that's what they claimed I was doing... spamming free AOs)  3 attached to be exact and one that was enabled.  Do you know the name of which one that spams ppl?  The one that was enabled was TuTy's elite sexy female AO free,  and I think the other 2 I had attached but not enabled were Life Shop free AO and Jax's free AO.  I also have TuTy's cuddly pretty free AO and JP's complete no noob kit AO, but I was not wearing these at the time.

Edit:  I actually googled it online and there's some threads about Life Shop AO, would I be correct assuming that this one was the problem?

Lol, that's a lot of AOs ^^  You'll find out in time (if you want to) how to edit them together so you just have one.  Things that are only in inventory, not attached or rezzed in-world can't do anything so they're not guilty.  Something that is in-world, even nominally turned off, is still capable of running scripts and could be doing anything.  Jax's should be ok but we've got no way to tell if anyone's messed with the script (program) in it.

Anyone who was spammed will have got a message saying which object it was, as well as the fact that you were the owner.  They're the best people to ask.

Just goes to show that sometimes you get what you pay for. :smileywink:

The Life Shop AO is the one I was referring to. The people that I've seen wearing it had no clue when I told them it was spamming, and were grateful to have been informed.

How wearing an AO that offers copies of itself to passersby equals "hacking"... well... all I gotta say is... some people.

Aremat wrote:

Edit:  I actually googled it online and there's some threads about Life Shop AO, would I be correct assuming that this one was the problem?

Probably fairly safe to assume that, yes. ETA: I know nothing about the other two you were wearing.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Just goes to show that sometimes you get what you pay for. :smileywink:

The Life Shop AO is the one I was referring to. The people that I've seen wearing it had no clue when I told them it was spamming, and were grateful to have been informed.

How wearing an AO that offers copies of itself to passersby equals "hacking"... well... all I gotta say is... some people.

Aremat wrote:

Probably fairly safe to assume that, yes. ETA: I know nothing about the other two you were wearing.

Yea I googled "second life spammer AO" and life shop was the first one that showed up.  (actually the only one)  So I guess I'll be deleting it.   And since I got banned from the region (which was one of my favorites :(   .... I had to end up making another avi just to go there since I can't seem to get in touch with the land owner.   I tried searching for Life Shop AO in the marketplace again, so I could read the reviews, but I guess they took it off.

We know from experience. You can read Marketplace reviews or google it if you want, but the Life Shop AO is a notorious spam device. Most land owners will consider it a form of griefing, although the more fair minded ones will probably try to discern if you knew what it was doing or not. Some do, some don't. No land owner appreciates their guests being pestered by someone trying to hand something out en masse or sell things.

Chalk it up to learning if you can and move on with your Second Life. There are so many sims, explore those instead.

Aremat wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Are you wearing some attachment that might be spamming people with offers? A free AO, for instance? I know of at least one that does do that, and the people using it often aren't even aware of it unless someone tells them.

I actually was wearing a free AO...(that's what they claimed I was doing... spamming free AOs)  3 attached to be exact and one that was enabled.  Do you know the name of which one that spams ppl?  The one that was enabled was TuTy's elite sexy female AO free,  and I think the other 2 I had attached but not enabled were Life Shop free AO and Jax's free AO.  I also have TuTy's cuddly pretty free AO and JP's complete no noob kit AO, but I was not wearing these at the time.

As said it was the Life Shop AO, although I never heard of Jax's free AO so I can't comment on that one either way. Be wary of any full perm AO you receive, or at this point in SL, probably any full perm item someone hands to you. We've mostly all learned by now that a full perm freebie is probably either ancient, or stolen, or both.  Note there are always exceptions, just be wary.  And ask  yourself if you know the person giving it to you and where did they get it from themselves?

There is nothing wrong with the Tuty's AO provided you got it from Tuty's and it is no transfer, not a Tuty's fake that someone made, or something. I'm trying to cover all bases because I can see you're kinda new to this.

You only need to wear one AO, more than one won't work at once anyway, I don't think, and it will really slow down your SL.

Melita Magic wrote:

Aremat wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

As said it was the Life Shop AO, although I never heard of Jax's free AO so I can't comment on that one either way. Be wary of any full perm AO you receive, or at this point in SL, probably any full perm item someone hands to you. We've mostly all learned by now that a full perm freebie is probably either ancient, or stolen, or both.  Note there are always exceptions, just be wary.  And ask  yourself if you know the person giving it to you and where did they get it from themselves?

There is nothing wrong with the Tuty's AO provided you got it from Tuty's and it is no transfer, not a Tuty's fake that someone made, or something. I'm trying to cover all bases because I can see you're kinda new to this.

You only need to wear one AO, more than one won't work at once anyway, I don't think, and it will really slow down your SL.

Thank you for the advice.  I ended up using the Tuty's AO most of the time since it was the cutiest.  Btw this is my new name.   I canceled my other account for fear that something malicious happened with it, but it took 2 days to go through.   Usually I'm pretty careful about what I buy, and I usually only get things with 4 star ratings or higher (I think life shop had a 4 star)... but I guess I need to pay more attention to the negative reviews.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.