Quote of the day!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert Fulghum related a conversation he had with a hydrologist about god. The hydrologist replied that he knew little about god, but knew a lot about water. Hydrology is the study of water. It comes in different forms, liquid, gas, and solid, but it's fundamental nature remains the same. It's still two hydrogen atoms bound with an oxygen atom in all its different forms.

The most important thing about water is that it is essential to life. No water, no life. People have different ways of drinking water. Some prefer it heated as with tea or coffee. Others preferred it cold and add ice to it. Some like it carbonated and bubbly and may drink it through a straw. What they all have in common is thirst.

And so it is with god. People everywhere have a spiritual thirst. And we are all mere momentary waves in an everlasting and infinite ocean.

From my profile pick "Friendship"...

“Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.” 

-- Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (1826-1887)

I saw this today on what I guess is called the Home page of the Feed. The page you get if you browse to my.secondlife.com. I don't know the person who posted it—Creamy Mynx—but I was struck by how apropos it was to something in my recent life and copied it. The entire post consisted of only this:

People change and forget to tell each other. ~Lillian Hellman

I came to this thread with the express purpose of quoting it, and find that the two most recent posts have expressed things that are related to what I was thinking when I copied it in the first place. Funny how things like that happen.

Not the torturer will scare me, nor the body's final fall, nor the barrels of death's rifles, nor the shadows on the wall, nor the night when to the ground the last dim star of pain, is hurled but the blind indifference of a merciless, unfeeling world.

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

Peace!

wow irene yours are so touching. :)

@ hippie.    good one i like it.

ok here is todays!!!

Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.
- Truman Capote

http://www.on-this-day.com/cgi-bin/quote.pl?NonSSI

and for fun a quote from me.

if today was ment to be the end. then why did you take out hamburger for tommorw mom?

-emmettcullen93

emmettcullen93 wrote:

for wensday this one applies to Mr. Emmett right here. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

- Thomas Alva Edison

That's the spirit, Emmett!

The young Edison accidentally burned down his family's barn in 1852. His home went up in flames in 1914. In 1919, as his office and library was blazing away, he woke his wife to view the event, remarking that one doesn't get to see such things very often.

My contribution for the day...

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”  - Henry Ford

;-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.