Quote of the day!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We owe almost all our knowledge not to those who have agreed, but to those who have differed.

- Charles Caleb Colton -

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Mark Twain

Peace!

Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.

Winston Churchill

Courage is walking to get the switch from the tree for that woopin you are about to recieve and then walking back..

Intelligence is realizing you have a really good head start at tiring them out first..

run-away.jpg

Ceka Cianci <3

hehehehe \o/

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Mark Twain

Peace!

Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.

Winston Churchill

Courage is walking to get the switch from the tree for that woopin you are about to recieve and then walking back..

Intelligence is realizing you have a really good head start at tiring them out first..

run-away.jpg

Ceka Cianci <3

hehehehe \o/

Oh that is good Ceka! 

Peace!

Hippie Bowman wrote:

An understanding of the natural world and what's in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment.

David Attenborough

Peace!

Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars — mere globs of gas atoms. Nothing is "mere". I too can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more? The vastness of the heavens stretches my imagination — stuck on this carousel my little eye can catch one-million-year-old light. A vast pattern — of which I am a part... What is the pattern or the meaning or the why? It does not do harm to the mystery to know a little more about it. For far more marvelous is the truth than any artists of the past imagined it. Why do the poets of the present not speak of it? What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?

- Richard Feynman

That Feynman guy was pretty sharp, wasn't he?

I really like the Attenborough quote, Hippie—it's something I've felt for a long time. Learning the name of a plant or a bird or a constellation, getting a better understanding of geological processes and their affect on the landscape, learning something new about groundwater: all those things add to the pleasure of being outdoors. The more you learn, the more at home you are in the natural world.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Learning the name of a plant or a bird or a constellation
, getting a better understanding of geological processes and their affect on the landscape, learning something new about groundwater: all those things add to the pleasure of being outdoors. The more you learn, the more at home you are in the natural world.

Dillon, I'm certain your joy of learning will survive this clip, but I believe you'll have a different appreciation of "names" hereafter, I know I did...

Dillon Levenque wrote:

That Feynman guy was pretty sharp, wasn't he?

mmm hmm

;-)

I'm gonna guess that's the one about his father not teaching him the bird's name :-). And of course his point is correct. Possibly I should have elaborated my statement: when I learn a new bird's name it is because I've seen it and not recognized it. That sends me to the bird book where I learn what it was and where and how it lives.

Like the nighthawk. They are as far as I know unknown in California, but I saw one getting its dinner one evening above a small stream in northwestern Nevada and even there we were at the extreme edge of its range. Not really a raptor; an insectivore with somewhat hawk-like wings and striking black and white coloration. First (and last) time I ever saw one.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I'm gonna guess that's the one about his father not teaching him the bird's name :-). And of course his point is correct. Possibly I should have elaborated my statement: when I learn a new bird's name it is because I've seen it and not recognized it. That sends me to the bird book where I learn what it was and where and how it lives.

Like the nighthawk. They are as far as I know unknown in California, but I saw one getting its dinner one evening above a small stream in northwestern Nevada and even there we were at the extreme edge of its range. Not really a raptor; an insectivore with somewhat hawk-like wings and striking black and white coloration. First (and last) time I ever saw one.

It is, and I am sooooo tempted to look up the foreign names he spouts off. I'm pretty sure he just made 'em up.

I would!

;-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.