Quote of the day!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

and now the 5 shortest wars in history. (i know wrong thread but good info) lol

5. Georgian-Armenian War

Length: 24 days

A border dispute between the Democratic Republic of Georgia and the Democratic Republic of Armenia in 1918 led to armed clashes. The British finally brokered a ceasefire where the two sides shared rule until Soviet rule in 1920.

4. Serbo-Bulgarian War

Length: 14 days

A minor border dispute in 1885, known as the Bregovo Dispute, where the Bulgarians forcibly expelled Serbian troops led to both armies meeting. Bulgaria took the offensive and conquered the city of Pirot, when the Austro-Hungarian Empire stepped in and threatened to join the Serbians if Bulgaria did not step down.

3. Indo-Pakistani War

Length: 13 days

The Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 was a major conflict between India and Pakistan, caused by Pakistan’s pre-emptive strike on 11 Indian airbases in an attempt to conquer Western India. India responded fiercely, killing some 9,000 Pakistani soldiers and capturing almost 100,000. Pakistan would surrender in less than a fortnight.

2. 6 Day War

Length: 6 days

Egypt called for unified Arab action against Israel following Israeli threats to Syria. On June 5, 1967, Israel launched a massive attack on Egypt’s airforce, completely decimating it. Israel then attacked and conquered eastern Jerusalem, the Gaza Strip, the West Bank and the Golan Heights. About a million Arabs were captured under Israel’s new territory.\

1. Anglo-Zanzibar War

Length: 45 minutes

Fought between the United Kingdom and Zanzibar in 1896, the war is the shortest in history. Following the death of the Sultan who had British sympathies, his nephew seized power through a coup. The British wanted another candidate to run Zanzibar, and demanded the nephew abdicate.

When the British’s demands were not met, they opened fired on the far weaker Zanzibar. The nephew fled the country almost immediately, and the British could claim victory.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most toilets flush in E flat: most electric razors buzz in B flat. (English razors buzz in G.)

There was never an age in which useless knowledge was more important than in our own.

Cyril Joad

In time of war the first casualty is truth.

Boake Carter

Musical note of toilets is useless, not your comment :smileyhappy:

When I read it again, I was worried you might think I meant your comment. Just wanted to clarify I did not. :matte-motes-grin:

Knowl Paine wrote:

In time of war the first casualty is truth.

Boake Carter

Musical note of toilets is useless, not your comment :smileyhappy:

When I read it again, I was worried you might think I meant your comment. Just wanted to clarify I did not. :matte-motes-grin:

lol ur fine i didnt take it that way knowl. :)

"Suppose They Gave A War And Nobody Came" is a film title, not a quote.  It has also happened (sort of) ...

I used to have a boss who years earlier had been a training manager for British Airways.  He told me he had once arranged a training session in Guatemala, flew in, was promptly arrested and thrown in jail.  Guatemala had declared war on Britain over who controlled Belize.  What really annoyed them was to have an English guy arrive because Britain had almost completely ignored the fact that we were 'at war'.

A Hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labours of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received.

Albert Einstein

emmettcullen93 wrote:

wow o wow love them irene keep them coming.
:)

Irene is going to immerse us in the history and culture of Spain one quotation at a time. By the time we are finished the women in this thread will all be elegantly beautiful and the guys will all be courtly, dashing, and speak with Castillian accents.:smileyhappy:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Irene is going to immerse us in the history and culture of Spain one quotation at a time.

She will, and I love it.

By the time we are finished the women in this thread will all be elegantly beautiful and the guys will all be courtly, dashing, and speak with Castillian accents.

Not if I can help it.

Randall Ahren wrote:

My favorite saying in Spanish:
la lucha por la vida.

Translation: The struggle for life.

Agree. See http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/09/26/18541460.php?show_comments=1#18541628 :)

"La lucha por la vida" is also the title of a trilogy of the Spanish writer Pio Baroja, probably inspired by an expression of "On the Origin of Species" (Darwin).

But as you well say, "la lucha por la vida" has a very deep and rich sense in the common use (and life!) of Spanish :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.