If you need to update a product you've uploaded to Direct Delivery...

Darrius Gothly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I found a few problems and some incorrect instructions in my earlier PDF about updating a DD Product. I've updated the version on the web too, so if you got the older version, you should probably get the update.

Sorry about the double-download folks.

Updating a Direct Delivery Product on the SL Marketplace

The shortlink is http://bit.ly/UpdDDProd

• 3 weeks later...

iCade wrote:

Can't seeem to access the pdf
:(
Getting an error and after three times of trying FF crashed >.<

Rather than load it into FF, right-click the link and save it to your local hard drive ... then open it using Adobe's PDF Reader directly. I've had that trouble from time to time with the PDF viewer built into Chrome .. which is why I finally just disabled it and now use the plug-in from Adobe instead.

You're welcome Dakota. Granted, the subject gets a "treetops level" flyby in the KB article, but based on the number of times folks were asking "How do I...?" it sorta seemed like it needed a bit more depth.

As usual though, it's free so most likely is worth every penny. *wink*

Not to be overly snarky, but it's amazing what happens due to the lack of a comprehensive manual format, the same document in help format in the client, on the web and as a PDF.

Having a manual rather than info spread across a knowledge base, answers, a wiki, forums and user contributed information, etc. is an enormous help and has been for years in many large commercial software offerings. so it's not just for DVD players and shareware.

The worst that could happen is an MSDN (also in downloadable format for offline browsing) with user contributed comments. Might want to consider that.

Haha! Yeah, I can only take up to a certain point, and then I start pestering.

To your previous post about the scattered instructions in various Linden pages, I totally agree.  Lindens should make a sticky for "How to Get Started with Direct Delivery" and at least link to the various pages.  When someone in an inworld group asks a question about DD, I or someone else often ends up clicking 10-20 times through pages of blog/forum/wiki/youtube videos to find the one piece of information we're trying to share.  It'd be nice to have ONE Linden sticky thread that I could go - "Look here... read all that."  And it seems every few hours or so, there is someone getting totally frustrated by the process of DD, through every phase - getting the thing to recognize your store, uploading items, all the unassociated items that are left, etc etc. So it would be really, really helpful. We need a Collater Linden. ^^

Right, on the same page there, that's why I suggested a good old manual.

One singular entity to maintain for them, portable enough to be used anywhere.

Anywhere you see that little world Help or ? ... you go to the manual, whether it's in-world, on the marketplace, etc.

People develop muscle memory on table of contents once they get familiar ( ... let's see marketplace is about halfway down).

People memorize locations of manuals they're familiar with and navigate there easily.

Is it easier to say rtfm or rtf(forum/wiki/chat group/Twitter/knowledge base/Jira)?

Thousands of hours saved.

No icky URLs to go look up. I know where to tell you to go to help you (and so would LL and support more easily) Go to to the manual under Marketplace/Magic Boxes/Migration.

You might even find some great user contributed notes in the manual. Download version doesn't have comments.

I mentioned PDF though, that was silly. HTML format for portable goodness.

• Moderators

Greetings Sera!

The Merchant Home Page on the Marketplace has links for Direct Delivery.

The link points to this Blog Post:

Which contains links to how to Migrate From MB to DD.

Selling in the Marketplace

Along with

and
YouTube Videos.

There is also a link to the Release Notes, and a Direct Delivery Launch Questions Page.

In addition, there is also a link to the Marketplace & Direct Delivery Update Blog Post.

Hi Dakota! 

Yes, I'm aware of all these links.  But now if I want to find this particular response again, I have to find this thread again, which over time will sink like the rest, find your comment in the thread, and then click through all those links to see what they might contain specifically since they all have information about the various steps and nuances of direct delivery.  

I'm just saying it would be great to have a very obvious, sticky thread here in the forum, where many people come for help, that merchants could go to as the first source for all of their questions.  So... please take that post you just made into a sticky.  ^^  It would be even better if there were specific phrases and FAQ links that people could look at for each step of the process. 

I do very much appreciate you responding... now if it could be made more visible, more comprehensive, consistent, and descriptive to residents as a whole, especially those just getting started with DD, that would be awesomeness. ^^ 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.