Second Life 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, have heard from some people and the likes that we as second life folk will need to start from scratch come sl 2 the beta wide version that is, coming out next year sometime, I have to ask, why. We spent a lot of time, value and money vested in what we have already structured here, would we need to again do the same in beta version next year, make new avatars and have to re buy everything we already have in the version thus far. Because that to me is not at all good, not everyone can afford such things, can't you guys think of a way so it can be structured we can take our avs and all it's inventory to the newest sl, otherwise, really, what truly is thr point, when you may do the same for sl 3 lol

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to the opportunity to get new and better items in this new world. Whats the point in making a better SL if everyone is dragging all their old crap over to it? 

If your that attached to your "stuff" then stay here in the old SL and use it. Yeah we all spent a load of money here in SL building our inventories. But in the long run that's the fun of being in SL is buying, discovering, building etc. Also, If it's on a new script language then most things aren't going to work in it anyway. ( I'm not techy so I could be wrong in this statement).

After all, in the end it is just stuff and it's not even RL stuff. 

It's a new adventure and I can't wait to be there when it opens even if I have to be naked :P

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

I'm looking forward to the opportunity to get new and better items in this new world. Whats the point in making a better SL if everyone is dragging all their old crap over to it? 

If your that attached to your "stuff" then stay here in the old SL and use it. Yeah we all spent a load of money here in SL building our inventories. But in the long run that's the fun of being in SL is buying, discovering, building etc. Also, If it's on a new script language then most things aren't going to work in it anyway. ( I'm not techy so I could be wrong in this statement).

After all, in the end it is just stuff and it's not even RL stuff. 

It's a new adventure and I can't wait to be there when it opens even if I have to be naked :
p

If you have to be naked when you get there, please let me know when it will be and I'll be there to meet you - to show you around, of course ;)

You should be happy and excited as finally Linden Lab is taking a leap to future. It's impossible to fix everything in the present SL, there are too many issues preventing to do any great advancement in it. Therefore they are building brand new world without being held back by backward compatibility.

Read here what Ebbe Linden (CEO) says, so you will understand a little bit more:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Chat-with-us-masters-Lindens/m-p/2764042#M189154

"Therefore they are building brand new world without being held back by backward compatibility...:"

Yeah, just like Microsoft is building the next generation Office suite without backwards compatibility, just like Adobe building the next generation Photoshop without backwards compatibility and Apple the next generation QuickTime without backwards compatibility...

Oh, wait...they don´t.

Gosh, they must be totally crazy - while LL is the only software company on the planet which trashes customer assets for the "next generation" baby. LL knows better as the rest of the universe, of course, don´t they? Didn´t they ever?

A really good answer you gave there, i like it.. :-)
I don't understand the complayning, like you say, if people are so attached to their stuff then for god's sake stop complayning and stay in the old sl and use your old stuff, it does not seem like anyone is forcing anybody to abandon their dear inventory..
And besides, i am sure that most of the decent newer well made stuff we will be able to transfer over, and if for some reason clothes needs to be uploaded again by creators inorder to work, maybe to add better cloth physics instead of crappy alphamaps, i am sure it won't take long before there is plenty of good stuff to get, and in my point of view is it worth a few lindens to get new if it looks alot better and more real, people also get new stuff in the current sl if it looks better, so whats the difference... :-)

Personally i hope the avatars will be top dollar in the new sl and not look like a 14 year old low poly avatar with jacked edges and insanely bad weightpainting. I also hope they allow really high quality textures for the avi so they look as real as possible.. :-)

I'm looking foward to sl version 4 or 5, then maybe i am able to just plugin my brain and it feels like rl except i can fly and do anything i want.. Who care if it is backwards compatible then, smiles.. :-)

Vivienne Schell wrote:

"Therefore they are building brand new world without being held back by backward compatibility...:"

Yeah, just like Microsoft is building the next generation Office suite without backwards compatibility, just like Adobe building the next generation Photoshop without backwards compatibility and Apple the next generation QuickTime without backwards compatibility...

Oh, wait...they don´t.

Gosh, they must be totally crazy - while LL is the only software company on the planet which trashes customer assets for the "next generation" baby. LL knows better as the rest of the universe, of course, don´t they? Didn´t they ever?

Try running a game that was written for Windows 95 on Win 7.

And what about hardware.  There is old hardware that won't run on Win 7.

• 2 months later...

Phil Deakins wrote:

Two things:-

1. Second Life will not be closing down when SL2 comes along, so your 30k items will all still be useable.

2. Some stuff 
will 
may
transfer to SL2.

Fixed that.  :)  We still don't know.

Ebbe said they won't sacrifice performance for backward compatabilty.

But if they really want us to embrace the new platform it behooves them to do so.

Anything that helps make the transition as painless as possible helps.

Over time many of us have spent a lot of money on inventory.  And it's not like we have a lump sump hanging out to spend on day one in the 'new world.'

Phil Deakins wrote:

Unless I'm very much mistaken, he also said that some stuff will go over, and not just names and money. And I don't think I'm mistaken.

Right. I think it is good to refresh our memories at this point. In this post http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Linden-Lab-is-building-a-NEW-virtual-world/m-p/2758334#M185698 Ebbe said:

You asked: 

1 - What type of assets are more likelly to be transferable to SL2 and what probably not? (meshes, animations, sculpts, scripts, textures, builds made of normal prims, system clothing ?)

We don't have all the answers to this one yet, but several areas will have radical improvements and thus not possible to be fully backwards compatible. 

Mesh is ok (but with better lighting and other tech you may want to make tweaks)

Animations will change (major mprovements as we don't currently do it the way it should be done)

Sculpts (TBD, but not as is, but maybe converted to Mesh?)

Scripts (major improvement, so will change)

Textures ok

Prims (TBD, but probably not as is)

Avatars will be radically improved as well so a lot TBD 

Again, we will have years to sort this all out together...

[unquote]

So, some stuff will go over. It appears to me that the "some stuff" is only:

Non-rigged and non-scripted mesh (might need texturing changes to take advantage of the new rendering features)

Textures (will transfer without any changes most likely)

Rigged mesh clothing will not transfer 'as is' because of new better avatar. System clothes will not transfer due to the same reason. Sculpties and prims 'as is' will not transfer.

All avatar mesh add-ons and full mesh avatars will not transfer 'as is'. Surely those will not be needed any more in the new platform because the avatar there will be radically improved one - hopefully it indeed is so. :smileywink:

Naturally, as already promised, avatar names, friends and Linden dollars will transfer.

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Unless I'm very much mistaken, he also said that some stuff will go over, and not just names and money. And I don't think I'm mistaken.

Right. I think it is good to refresh our memories at this point. In this post 
Ebbe said:

You asked: 

1 - What type of assets are more likelly to be transferable to SL2 and what probably not? (meshes, animations, sculpts, scripts, textures, builds made of normal prims, system clothing ?)

We don't have all the answers to this one yet, but several areas will have radical improvements and thus not possible to be fully backwards compatible. 

Mesh is ok (but with better lighting and other tech you may want to make tweaks)

Animations will change (major mprovements as we don't currently do it the way it should be done)

Sculpts (TBD, but not as is, but maybe converted to Mesh?)

Scripts (major improvement, so will change)

Textures ok

Prims (TBD, but probably not as is)

Avatars will be radically improved as well so a lot TBD 

Again, we will have years to sort this all out together...

[unquote]

So, some stuff will go over. It appears to me that the "some stuff" is only:

Non-rigged and non-scripted mesh
(might need texturing changes to take advantage of the new rendering features)

Textures
(will transfer without any changes most likely)

Rigged mesh clothing will not transfer 'as is' because of new better avatar. System clothes will not transfer due to the same reason. Sculpties and prims 'as is' will not transfer.

All avatar mesh add-ons and full mesh avatars will not transfer 'as is'. Surely those will not be needed any more in the new platform because the avatar there will be radically improved one - hopefully it indeed is so. :smileywink:

Naturally, as already promised, avatar names, friends and Linden dollars will transfer.

I still don't look at this as any sort of guarantee which is why I say 'may.'

Even with textures they could decide that only bitmaps are acceptable.

I know would be crazy but everything is still wide open.

• 1 year later...

I have to agree with the original post even if the second life 2 infastructure is new it should be designed with backwards compatibility in mind. With alot of games that tend to move platforms the worse thing is when people have worked hard on content,paid alot of money for content in gaming case if one was to wipe your game save on any game the question is would you come back and play it. From experience of running gaming servers for awhile players dont all come back because its a reason to leave. Myself l have thought about this same thing as l have spent alot on sl to the lindens for the hardwork, supporting all the artists and music and other things there are to do on sl and l find there is a cost to that more than  some realise. Like making avs the time that goes into detail and self teaching which alot of the sl designers are self taught means they loose alot too. I think that backwwards compatibility would give the option to clothing designers, av designers all asset designers on sl to bring thier content accoss just like every player and be able to update it to fit the new frame work. This same problem has been repeated before just like with microsoft when they make a windows system and changed the file system it caused problems. I feel its something that should be carefully consindered just as simply as saying its going to be a fresh slate and all you can take is your name accross. As people will loose more than that. The money thats spent in sl is enough to update a new framework and still hold and maintain all the old content.

The OP's post is over 2 years old. Sansar (what you're inaccurately calling SL 2) is now around 6 months away from public beta. It's far too late to change anything to do with SL compatibility, and doing so wouldn't make sense anyway. Sansar is purely mesh with a new design for the avatars (which we know little about) and a different system for scripting. Sansar is a system for renting out virtual worlds to individuals and companies, not a new LL world. No mainland, regions, parcels, etc. 

Mesh houses/non-worn items could likely be imported into Sansar to be sold on the new Marketplace. Prims and sculpties don't exist in Sansar. The new avatars may be so unlike the current ones that nothing could be done to import SL content -- I haven't heard anything about it.

There are many other threads about Sansar in this forum. Check 'em out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.