Average height for a man?

ValorWhit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

arton Rotaru wrote:

To bad there is no male genitalia slider, or I would have set that to 200 %. :smileyvery-happy:

ever been on a nude beach in SL... you'd see that 200% is rather small for most..

if it would drop or fall off,  most guys would need medical help for their bruised and hurted feet.

ValorWhit wrote:

Which brings me to the original question.  I need to know the best height to be when standing next to a woman in Second Life.  

In my experience, when the women are mostly 5'-5'10", they're mostly shaking their heads or giggling when an 8' guy walks by, lamenting how impossible it is to find a guy who doesn't look ridiculous, and looking for the "EJECT" button if he starts trying to chat them up.

If the women are 6'8"-7' tall themselves, they generally don't seem to want anything to do with a man who isn't at least as tall as she is.

So it comes down to the type of women you're chasing.

In a world where you can be anything, yet most men choose to be 7'+ "Lurch lookalikes", anything you do to separate yourself from that stereotype makes you unique and appealing.

Also, haven't I seen you around Vault 99? If you're in the RP sim crowd, women there generally have a broader idea of what they find appealing. You'd be surprised at how many women write or read erotic fiction about Nick Valentine, and he's pretty much the opposite of most men you'll see in SL. Hell, you'd be surprised at how many women write/read erotic fiction about Charon from Fallout 3. c__c;

arton Rotaru wrote:

:smileylol: To bad there is no male genitalia slider, or I would have set that to 200 %. :smileyvery-happy:

q; (:

is good news coming for that

the Bento avatar skeleton has a diddle bone

can defo see the new male bento bodies coming out with a actual [thingy] and not a neuter like now at the moment

am pretty sure is some people already working on it. Bone displacement and translation animations. Fitted mesh pants and jeans made also with this in mind. Will be quite exciting I think for a lot of people this

eta: [thingy] seems anatomically correct words are *bleeped*

"[...] lamenting how impossible it is to find a guy who doesn't look ridiculous, and looking for the "EJECT" button if he starts trying to chat them up."

Tellaq avatars in particular scare the tar out of me. They look too thick, and greasy, and ridiculous. I love me a tall, slender, lanky-limbed guy instead with skin that doesn't look like it has been doused in cooking oil.

Personally I always stuck with my actual. Helps me get into character if my characters looks right. Typically I play a scifi aide worker, soldier, medic, knight hybrid. So I have seen the gamut of avatar heights and proportions. When around realistically sized avatars I am tall but normal tall at only 6'0". Other times I run into giants and feel like I should consider moving to Raglan Shire. All in all though its about what you find attractive. Especially when you are looking at your avatar for hours on end.

the average hight for men here is 5'8  the average hight for women is 5'0 but that if they have tall poeple in the family more the norm is women about 4'8  

in sl the agerage hight for women is about 50 ft tall and guys as tall as they can strech there avatars limit

I'm not sure you're understanding what people mean by "average height". It's not a judgement call, just an observation. If you have a group of people, avatars, lamp posts, there will always be an average height between them.

I do agree that personal preference is a big part of it, and I never saw any sense in judging people for their avatar size, but it's always worth discussing the topic because there are practical considerations when it comes to avatar size, such as the cost of land and the proportion limits imposed by the appearance editor.

• 2 months later...

Numbers are meaningful.  When building, one should aim to fit the 80 percentile of AV sizes.  The compleat and total lack of average hights is the main reason so many of the poses in SL look so bad.  The builder has no idea what size to make there items.  And now your making it worse by saying that good poses are not inportant.

• 2 months later...

First of all... See that number, in the appearance editor, that claims to be your height, it's meaningless...

The System automatically adds 17 cm / 6.4 inches to your height as a clearance factor to stop your hitbox scraping on the floor when you walk. Then if you are female, and wear high heels, those get added to your actual inworld height too, so you set your height as 5'8, but your prim height in world is... 6'8, then some guy comes along set 6'1 in appearance edit, and he's the same height as you, so he edits to be a bit taller, and pretty soon all the guys are 7-8 ft tall...

Rule of thumb, take the RL height you want, add 30 cm /12 inches, and use that as a target when checking your height with a height guage inworld, ignore the appearance editor heights . use a guage such as the one from Cool Products.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.