What do the mini-map symbols that look like a plus sign with two crossbars mean?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

I'm using Firestom.  Sometimes I see symbols on the mini-map like the ones shown.  What do they mean?
New Picture.jpg

The mysterious symbol ǂ is explained here: http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-3060

[Quote, *quoted exactly as in the bove JIRA with one typo uncorrected*] :smileytongue:

That icon depicts avatars that are at a height over 1020m and do not have a viewer object representation, usually meaning the are out of draw distance. You can also notice this if you read the hovertip when you move a mouse over somebody in the minimap. If other avatars are below 1020m or above 1020m and have actually been seen by the viewer, the dot or up and down arrow symbols are shown.

[unquote]

•   dot means the avatar is on the same level as you are

^   up arrow means the avatar is higher than you are

v   down arrow means the avatar is lower than you are

ǂ   symbol meaning is as explained above (underlined text)

Some more infos from me since I made that feature: :D

There is a technical reason for this. The regions report the height of an avatar as 8bit value that is multiplied by 4. The highest number you can represent with 8 bits is 255, so the maximum height reported by a region is 1020m. Everything above is reported as 0m. The minimap would normally show the down-arrow which is actually misleading. Side-effect is also that the distance would be calculated wrong.

However, if an avatar is above 1020m, there is a workaround to circumvent that limitation: If that avatar has been seen by your viewer - that means it's within draw distance and came into sight by turning towards them - then the exact height can be retrieved from the object representing the avatar directly.

So what is happening in Firestorm now is this: First get the avatar position from the region. If the returned height is 0m, check if there is an avatar object available. If it is available, use the height from the avatar object and set the icon based on that value. If it's not available, use the special icon indicating that we don't have exact data.

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.