Potholes On The Mainland Roads?

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It had be a while since I had flexed my Super Hero Powers in SL.  Most of my time in SL I spend disguised as a mere Earthling trying hard not to call attention to my Alien Presence.

So donning my Super Hero Avatar this weekend I decided to test my imperviousness  on the Mainland Roads.  I thought what better way to do this by than seeing if I could stand my ground against some of the vehicles on the road.  My first encounter was with a car.

Potholes 01.jpg

Success was mine!  So I decided to move on to something bigger.   Next a truck.

Potholes 02.jpg

Potholes 03.jpg

Again success was mine, stopping the truck in its tracks.  I was beginning to really feel my Wheaties!  Continuing down  the road I spot a Tank!  I'm in heaven.....a real test of my Super Powers.  I steel my nerves as the Tank approaches.

Potholes 04.jpg

Then the collision with the Tank

Potholes 05.jpg

Success once more!

Potholes 06.jpg

Having stopped the Tank in its path i am still unscathed so I continue down the road seeking a bigger challenge.  When all of the sudden I encounter the unexpected. 

Potholes 07.jpg

Potholes 08.jpg

A pothole in the Mainland Roads! 

Darren Scorpio wrote:

*Laughs* Good job Perrie, it is nice to know there's always a super hero out there watching out for us, and probably the potholes are there to make some of us feel at home, haha.

WHere I live we are so proud of our bad roads we put up signs to make sure poeple notice them.

Big Yellow Substandard Roadway signs. ;)

Potholes 12.jpg

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Perrie, aren't those potholes the result of slipshod marksmanship with that dodgy Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator of yours? 

Hoisted (sunk?) by your own
!

;-)

Well, I had held back one picture.....the true reason for my being at that location.  I had been assigned the task of determining the origin of these Saucers.  They are not Martian.

We had been detecting widening cracks at SIM Crossings and believe these Griefers from another World have been causing them.  We think they are trying to make the grid fall apart.  It was actually into one of these cracks at a SIM Crossing into which I had fallen.

I was afraid I would cause a panic if I had posted it but have decided that all the Residents of Second Life have a right to know.

Do you think that maybe I should file a support ticket to get this Crack fixed?

There are hundreds of these 'potholes' across the grid.

A strange one is here:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Barcola/3/13/28

When you walk onto the bridge into the North Channel sim, you sink through the concrete immediately behind the sim border. However, it is impossible to go back the same way up, you have to wind your way out sideways from under the bridge. Fly up and land at the same point where you sunk in and the surface is now solid. Walk back onto the Barcola side - And down you go. Again, you have to wind your way out sideways.

I may have found a cause for all those potholes.

They've been problematic for a while.

What started as a normal Sunday afternoon bike ride ...

Ranunculus 1.jpg

..... ended up as something else entirely, when my friend became victim to one of those potholes too ...

ranunculus 2.jpg

And then, thinking back some more, I wonder if the cause for all this road damage couldn't just be because of the sheer destruction caused by the weight of those darn Giant Snails that every year have a cross country Relay for Life race !

ranunculus 1a.jpg

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

There are hundreds of these 'potholes' across the grid.

A strange one is here:

When you walk onto the bridge into the North Channel sim, you sink through the concrete immediately behind the sim border. However, it is impossible to go back the same way up, you have to wind your way out sideways from under the bridge. Fly up and land at the same point where you sunk in and the surface is now solid. Walk back onto the Barcola side - And down you go. Again, you have to wind your way out sideways.

I looked at it. The problem is a sloppy build that doesn't take the region handover time into account. When a structure is used across regions, you should put a prim on each side that crosses into the other region. I usually make them invisible and embed them in the bridge/walkway. The server for the region you're on knows about the prim that's going into the other region and keeps you on it while the region handover occurs.

Perrie Juran wrote:

flying pigs_001.png

Perrie Juran wrote:

Do you think that maybe I should file a support ticket to get this Crack fixed?

Proceed at your own risk, puny Martian...

You don't want to get me angry.........................................

Now you're scaring the hell out of me, Perrie.

exploration.jpg

Proceed at your own risk, puny Martian...

You don't want to get me angry.........................................

Now you're scaring the hell out of me, Perrie.

Having filed the support ticket and again defending it from attack, I resume my peaceful exploration of this marvelous and beautiful World.

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

Sounds like a good success rate. I fell into quite a number of these potholes, I'll start reporting them as well.

Thanks for the info.

Initial response to my support ticket:

"I have restarted the two regions."

I have reopened with additional info.  :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.