Objects go missing

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has anyone else noticed this? I went into my store today and noticed several things in one area were gone. I have had things go invisible before (but were really there, I just couldn't see them). But these were just gone. In four years I have never seen things just disappear from inworld.

ETA These were things that had been there for a while, not put down just before a sim restart.

Someone in an inworld group said this:

I was building today on a sky pad alone, built an area, turned around to start on the next... few mins later turned back and it was gone... relogged, got others to come check but nope vanished, had to do it again

I haven't seen this (yet), but something is definitely going wrong. Last night was the worst I've ever seen for lag, crashing, slow or no rez, inability to TP (or to see incoming TP offers), etc. Some of the stores I went to looked like they were under attack by griefers with stuff appearing to be flying through the air. 

There is someone building on the sim where I live and she had a couple of objects disappear off her build and land on my parcel.  She said she has had things flying all over the place.   I can imagine it makes it difficult to do stuff (and frustrating).

I logged into Pooley yesterday to reload my inventory and a particle show started near me.  Just the 'quiet environment I and others were seeking....not.

I have had things go invisible -- and show up highlighted when selected -- but these things are gone. I have never seen this before.  Has been a long time since I saw the prims flipping around.

Bad deal for people who don't have copies in inventory. For me, not so much, but one of the objects was a promo thing that I sent out a notice about. Several people bought it before I noticed it had gone missing.

I'm hesitant to submit a bug report because there are some things I'm not quite sure how to do. Perhaps you or someone else with more experience could do this? It doesn't seem to be something to submit a ticket for (I could do that), since it's happening to many people. It's a definite issue, it seems. I logged in again a bit ago and was having even more of a problem than when I logged out before that, and my friend initially said that he wasn't having a problem, but then began experiencing the same thing.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Do you know of any fixes for things randomly going invisible? I already cleared my cache, but it's not helping. I think both things might be related, but that's just a theory. It's awfullly annoying, though, so I hope LL fixes it soon.

I nearly pulled my hair out when I got a new computer and this started happening -- finally someone mentioned turning off object occlusion -- Bingo!

Here's another bit of advice from the fine support folks at Firestorm/Phoenix.  See if it helps ...

If you find that objects around you are suddenly disappearing, it is most likely due to a setting which is too low:

• Go to Advanced → Show Debug Settings (press Ctrl-Alt-D if the Advanced menu is not visible). Then type rendermaxNodeSize. (rendermaxNodeSize specifies how much memory is used to render new on-screen objects. Set too low, older objects will simply “vanish” so that new ones may be rendered.) This defaults to 8192 and should not be set lower. You can raise it if needed, up to 16384.

If this does not help, then try the following:

• Develop → Rendering → Object-Object Occlusion … disable (Ctrl-Alt-Q reveals the Develop menu).

If this too doesn't solve the problem - are all the objects textures with partly transparent textures (eg leaves)? If so, this may be due to shadows. If you have shadows enabled, then see this page.

Huh. Weird. I'll give that shot, then. Thanks! I've had this computer for a few months now, and this is the first time that's happened.

I have had a couple things vanish, but they haven't been anything I care much about, so for me it's not a big deal, yet. The big deal for me at the moment is that my stuff is invisible for no apparent reason.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Here's another bit of advice from the fine support folks at Firestorm/Phoenix.  See if it helps ...

If you find that objects around you are suddenly disappearing, it is most likely due to a setting which is too low:
  • Go to Advanced → Show Debug Settings (press Ctrl-Alt-D if the Advanced menu is not visible). Then type
    rendermaxNodeSize
    . (
    rendermaxNodeSize
    specifies how much memory is used to render new on-screen objects. Set too low, older objects will simply “vanish” so that new ones may be rendered.) This defaults to 8192 and should not be set lower. You can raise it if needed, up to 16384.

If this does not help, then try the following:
  • Develop → Rendering → Object-Object Occlusion … disable (Ctrl-Alt-Q reveals the Develop menu).

If this too doesn't solve the problem - are all the objects textures with partly transparent textures (eg leaves)? If so, this
may
be due to shadows. If you have shadows enabled, then see

Yes I did all that when I was having the invisible objects problem (and by objects I mean entire sims would go invisible).  This went on for months before someone mention Object occlusion, and that fixed it.

But these things are not invisible. Can't be selected, not in area search. I have never seen this before.

Well, that fixed me right up. Thanks, Rolig! Dunno how my settings there got all wonky, but my rendermaxNodeSize was 64 ^_^;;

Good luck fixing the disappearing objects issue. Mine were only a couple boxes - who knows where those landed, but I don't build, really, and I was done with the boxes, so I'm not too worried.

That stinks, Pam.  It does sound like an asset server issue, now that we have it separated from the invisible prim problem.  We've had a small number of similar questions in Answers this last week, and I notice a JIRA that sounds much like it.  I assume you've tried Live Chat, but if not, give them a try.  If they tell you to come back here, you can tell them we don't have a clue.  :smileytongue:

I've had a couple of items missing from rentals where the tenant has left. They did not have the option to either delete or return group items nor move them but they were still gone and not to be found in my lost and found. I have no good explanation for it. Thankfully they were copy items so I just ressed new ones. I find it very puzzeling.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.