Scam in forum PMs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I posted a mildly humorous thread about this scam.It was removed by a mod for some rule violation (without stating what the violation was, of course). So...

People are receiving forum PMs about free L$. No doubt everyone who gets the PM will realise that it's a scam but, just in case there are a few who are taken in by it, it's a scam, so don't touch it with a bargepole.

I saw several violations in your post . Just mentioning a few here :

• a name of an avatar was mentioned
  • an url was supplied to a possible malicious site
  • promotion of free linden circumventing linden exchange

Besides .. the link and file are hosted on a companies webserver ( Japanese) , but i doubt they are aware or gave permission to this.

It should also be mentioned people should not try this software and scan it for trojans if downloaded. I tried AVG and it found a trojan.

I respect the mods decision to remove that asap.

Admitted : the summary I made is not why the mods pulled the thread, but my own pov and assumption.

The guidelines for naming other avatars is based on context, if I' m not mistaken. For instance, one is not allowed to use names in a post for mere accusational purposes afaik.

I think you're mostly right.

I should have removed the URL.

I ought not to have stated the av's name but, since it's an obvious scam and not a 'maybe', I figured it would be ok to state the name.

My post definitely didn't promote free L$ - just the opposite, in fact. Circumventing the Lindex Exchange is not any kind of violation. LL approve some sites where that's done.

Phil Deakins wrote:

My post definitely didn't promote free L$ - just the opposite, in fact. Circumventing the Lindex Exchange is not any kind of violation. LL approve some sites where that's done.

Not saying you did, but the software and content of the one sending you that PM. By circumventing I meant I doubt they are buying lindens for you legally and supply you lindens by exchange rates, but most likely use manipulation or perhaps a hack to alter your account(money)statistics after you pay them a onetime fee.

I' m not sure LL officially approves of this.

I guess your post was removed more as a precaution to not let others try it out by mistake.

I saw the original thread and yes if the link went to a malicious site with a Trojan it needed to be removed.

Scammers love when people post these links this because there will always be some idiot who will click on the link to look at it.  And the people who click on these links are lots of times the ones who have no security protocols set up on their computers.

Snugs McMasters wrote:

emmettcullen93 wrote:

that is what happens in the virtual world stupid people think they are smart and get into trouble.

Try explaining that to Maddy.

I suggest not to do that in case she' s holding a suitcase and there' s a serrated breadknife nearby ... :robotindifferent:

ROB34466IIIa wrote:

Snugs McMasters wrote:

emmettcullen93 wrote:

that is what happens in the virtual world stupid people think they are smart and get into trouble.

Try explaining that to Maddy.

I suggest
not
to do that in case she' s holding a suitcase and there' s a serrated breadknife nearby ... :robotindifferent:

i am forever indebted to you rob you have now saved my life.

@ snugs *wonders why i always get caught in the family fight* lol

emmettcullen93 wrote:

ROB34466IIIa wrote:

emmettcullen93 wrote:

I will tear up your IOU as soon as a substantantial amount of linden is transferred from your account to mine.

<------------------ is broke.

/me frames the IOU for posterity.

PS Dude .. seeing your signature you cannot say you' re broke .. you' re financially challenged. This advise comes with no charge.

ROB34466IIIa wrote:

emmettcullen93 wrote:

ROB34466IIIa wrote:

emmettcullen93 wrote:

I will tear up your IOU as soon as a substantantial amount of linden is transferred from your account to mine.

PS Dude .. seeing your signature you cannot say you' re broke .. you' re financially challenged. This advise comes with no charge.

well i have been "laid off" from hosting shall we say and got to wait until the 10 befor i get paid for promoting my 1 and only buisness left to promote.

emmettcullen93 wrote:

ROB34466IIIa wrote:

emmettcullen93 wrote:

ROB34466IIIa wrote:

emmettcullen93 wrote:

well i have been "laid off" from hosting shall we say and got to wait until the 10 befor i get paid for promoting my 1 and only buisness left to promote.

/me sighs.

/me tears up the IOU.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.