Where to get started?

Petrilia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I decided to give Second Life a try.  I figured that visiting a few of the clubs listed as Active and Newcomer Friendly on the search feature would be a good way to get to meet a few people.  So I fired up the search and went to visit the first BDSM Club that the result shot back to me, only to be inexplicably banned from the building.  And when I asked the person about why I was told that it was because I made my account less than 15 days ago and I was insulted for not knowing what certain game abbreviations mean...  I figured that if ~this~ was the community's idea of 'Newcomer Friendly' I should just forget about it before I even start.

After thinking about it a bit more I decided that it isn't really fair to judge everone off of a single first impression.  So taking that lesson learned as how ~not~ to get started, I thought that I would give the forums a shot?  Where can I go as a woman interested in Submission and Domination to meet other people looking to relax and unwind a couple of hours a few times a week?  Preferably something a bit less intimidating than an entire room packed full of people at once.  If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them!

Thank you in advance!  -Petrilia

Welcome to SL Petrilia. I'm not excusing what happened to you but just fyi, griefers often create an avatar to do their dirty work then dump them so they don't get in trouble and have their real avatar banned.  A griefer, in case you don't know is someone out to disrupt a venue, disturb the people there and maybe even crash the sim. To prevent this, some venue owners take the easy way out and just eject and ban anyone new that happens to stumble into their place as a result.  But not all do. 

Don't get discouraged.  If you spend some time in SL you are going to have some wonderful experiences and meet some great people.  Just keep in mind that in any large group of people there always are a few rotten ones that spoil it for others.  The best thing to do is just laugh it off and go else where. 

Petrilia wrote:

So I decided to give Second Life a try.  I figured that visiting a few of the clubs listed as Active and Newcomer Friendly on the search feature would be a good way to get to meet a few people.  So I fired up the search and went to visit the first BDSM Club that the result shot back to me, only to be inexplicably banned from the building.  And when I asked the person about why I was told that it was because I made my account less than 15 days ago and I was insulted for not knowing what certain game abbreviations mean...  I figured that if ~this~ was the community's idea of 'Newcomer Friendly' I should just forget about it before I even start.

After thinking about it a bit more I decided that it isn't really fair to judge everone off of a single first impression.  So taking that lesson learned as how ~not~ to get started, I thought that I would give the forums a shot?  Where can I go as a woman interested in Submission and Domination to meet other people looking to relax and unwind a couple of hours a few times a week?  Preferably something a bit less intimidating than an entire room packed full of people at once.  If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them!

Thank you in advance!  -Petrilia

Hi Petrilia!  Welcome to SL and to the SL Forums!  We can be less intimidating indeed!  Have fun in SL and here in the Forums!

Peace!

Hi, Petrilia..   welcome to SL and the forums.

May I suggest you visit the Adult Hub BDSM,?  It certainly is "Newcomer Friendly," and is a good place both to hang out and meet people and also to find out more about SL in general and SL BDSM in particular.     It's a privately-run initiative aimed at new people who want to find out more about BDSM in SL, and anyone there wearing a staff tag will be glad to answer questions about this or anything else.

ZaZa Jinn wrote:

Hi Petrilia,

Welcome
:)
  Try "The Gateway" to see if that appeals to you.  I will send you an LM when I get in world.  Sorry your first experience was negative but good you didn't let that deter you.

Enjoy and be well

Zaza

I'll second "The Gateway" as a warm and inviting place to start your explorations, Petrilla.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Gateway/194/57/26

Welcome aboard!

Maddy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.