Hey, Commerce Team!

Marcus Hancroft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm so sounding like an LL cheerleader lately, lol.

The issues, yes, are annoying, and it all hurts our own pocket book, not really LL's. At least, initially. I can't really afford to have another bad weekend. Actually, this month I had to let some land go that I was holding on another grid.

Now, all that said, we should have known this was all going to happen this way. If anything, LL should had moved the release date to monday. This would have given us all week to get things moved over to DD, and we'd of had a little smoother weekend. But, any1 who thought that a million people changing ads all at the same time was not going to slow the site down, needs to learn a little more about how things work. Considering the mass of merchants changing things over, I'm surprised the site functioned at all.

Despite a few bad sales days, all because of the Marketplace, everything seemed to work extremely smoothly. Yeah, there were some glitches, but nothing like my most horrible nighmares about it. So far, every single person that has bought from me, has gotten their product. I actually had 3 people contact me saying they did not recieve their product. Being that I really wanted to know if the DD worked, I begged them to indulge me, and relog into SL, looking for their Received Items folder. 1 was even a barely english speaking french woman. They all got it in their new Received Items folder. This, makes me extremely happy.

Plus, just today, I was looking at all the scripts on my region. I didn't realize this before, but there were over 20 Xstreet Magic boxes on my sim. I have 4 merchants with me on the sim, and they obviously let a few of their friends place magic boxes there also. Soon, I will be warning them all that I will be deleting all magic boxes on the sim by the end of April. So, just cleaning up magic boxes on the grid, is going to improve the whole grid, even if it's not that considerable. Good Bye, Magic Boxes. It was fun while it lasted. Now burn, mo fo!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Yup, it's been working good for me. But then again I'm running on a laptop that has barnacles on its dust bunnies, so I'm used to opening a web page and grabbing a smoke while it loads. LOL

/me chuckles

[..] I have a great 12meg internet connection with a high end computer [..]

/me officially hates you now. (grin!)

For only $29.95 we can let you try out our latest and greatest computer for 30 days (just pay extra shipping and handling)

(scroll down to read the fine print...)

Then if we don't hear from you in a couple days, we'll assume you want to keep it, then bill your credit card $129.95 per week for 10 years and you won't be able to cancel because we don't have a way to contact us except through the sales line and they don't take customer complaints but if you really want to cancel you can try anyway. LOL

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Yup, it's been working good for me. But then again I'm running on a laptop that has barnacles on its dust bunnies, so I'm used to opening a web page and grabbing a smoke while it loads. LOL

/me chuckles

[..] I have a great 12meg internet connection with a high end computer [..]

/me officially hates you now. (grin!)

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!

All I can say is that everyone who is finding problems with the marketplace, is doing so because they sold out to LL.

LL started the marketplace to gain money at the expense of traders - literally - and most traders went along with it (I'm sorry to say, they went along with it like sheep). The people at LL must have been laughing their socks off about it. They make traders put up with a system that has never worked properly, and they don't inform them of anything because they don't have to. The traders feel like they'll lose out now if they pull out of the marketplace so they put up with it, and LL laughs even harder.

They don't give a damn about you and you put up with it - except Mickey, who (I read) pulled out.

The fact of the matter is, Phil, I enjoy selling.  I enjoy building and creating textures.  I still love my second life.  To do those things in this world, I and other merchants have to work with the systems given us by the company that owns the servers.  If we don't, we can't do the things we enjoy. 

This doesn't mean we have to LIKE the systems given us by the company who owns the servers.  Nor really the company itself.  But we can sure complain about them so maybe (just maybe) some things will get fixed. 

From your tone, I'm assuming you've pulled out of the marketplace also.  I'm sorry to hear this as I'm sure the world is worse off without your products and imagination in it. 

When I started this thread, I wanted an update from the Lab about what, when and how the marketplace would be fixed.  What I got was: "some" users are still experiencing slow page load times even though the marketplace was optimized over the weekend.  Really? 

Phil Deakins wrote:

All I can say is that everyone who is finding problems with the marketplace, is doing so because they sold out to LL.

LL started the marketplace to gain money at the expense of traders - literally - and most traders went along with it (I'm sorry to say, they went along with it like sheep). The people at LL must have been laughing their socks off about it. They make traders put up with a system that has never worked properly, and they don't inform them of anything because they don't have to. The traders feel like they'll lose out now if they pull out of the marketplace so they put up with it, and LL laughs even harder.

They don't give a damn about you and you put up with it - except Mickey, who (I read) pulled out.

I use other online stores that work flawlessly with plenty of perks.  (not SL related)  am fortunate that I can ramp those up anytime that LL borks the system.  I guess the rest here, can't do that.  When you have no other options you cannot demand service. 

I'll probably have to go back to marketplace because all of my marketing led into there, and in a fix on that now.  Did not consider just what a blow that would be when I pulled.

I truly know they don't give a damn about anyone.  And I don't like watching people scurry like frantic rats.  That makes me ill.

And I do not like watching everyone do their work for them all day long.  When you do their work for them all day long, and make excuses for them all day long, and spend your whole day finding workarounds, when you could be applying your skills to a paying job....

You are training LL, just as they are training you.

They have free labor, and they are taking full advantage of it.  They do not even have to come in here and answer questions from customers, and have even been so bold and arrogant as to tell us that they will not, right to our faces, in writing no less!  And they don't need to, because everyone is scurrying around doing it for them.

eta: I think the term is Enabler.

they will never give us proper tools and proper service, if people continue to cover them all day long, and unless it is made known publicly how screwed up the system is, to the point that it is embarassing.

They do not have to.  You will all be back here tomorrow, no matter how bad it gets, to scurry again.

Those of you, who have continually apologized for this most recent fiasco......

I have lost respect for you as a business person....

and I hold YOU just as responsible as LL for any monetary losses.

well...I have some different opinions,

First, if Lindens just don't want to stop people's propaganda of their failures, just as they wish, no one could stop it.

Second, that's Linden Lab who will be the final victim of its own bad reputations...not us.

Third, seriously, people who have enough evidence that LL's system caused their financial loss can sue LL. And whether the outcome is, it will always be remembered as part of SL economy in wiki page.

Fourth, I don't think merchants sold out to LL. Merchants can only be sold out to their cuctomers. One day if LL just lose its credtis, merchants can just migrate to IMVU or other competitors, it's not a big deal.

"Merchants have no country." 

--Thomas Jefferson 

Well....

I'm more on the side of letting LL know what the problems are, for my customers' interests and my own,  getting over the fact that it's always an imperfect process, and making sure they know what's wrong so they can FIX it as quickly as possible.

I am operating from a progressive, unemotional viewpoint, so maybe that is where we differ.  I don't care where the blame lies, I'm way more interested in moving forward, finding the problems, and getting them fixed. 

Sera Lok wrote:

Well....

I'm more on the side of letting LL know what the problems are, for my customers' interests and my own,  getting over the fact that it's always an imperfect process, and making sure they know what's wrong so they can FIX it as quickly as possible.

I am operating from a progressive, unemotional viewpoint, so maybe that is where we differ.  I don't care where the blame lies, I'm way more interested in moving forward, finding the problems, and getting them fixed. 

^^ THAT ^^^

Thank you Sera.

The longer you all cover for them all day long, and do not have the guts to tell them straight up, sternly....what all the problems are....

the less likely we will ever enjoy a fully functioning system.  and particularly one that might have some additional perks.

and the less likely they will ever feel the need to stop in here, and give straight up answers.

It's classic. 

I know it is your joy.  I know you care about people.  And I know you are not doing it to snag a few sales as a "hero"

it is hard to watch, Darrius.  you give them many hours out of your day.  it's your choice and it's your joy.

but it's like continuing to serve large platefuls of greasy fried chicken to a 12 year old that weighs 300 pounds, while the whole family stands around and says, "oh mamma Darry, you make the best chicken ever!" 

something like that, more or less

Sera Lok wrote:

Well....

and you can operate unemotional (I don't think you are, I think you are hangin' on a thread too)......

but the people I know have hearts.  And they get hurt. 

I'll be blunt.

You're running around trying to take credit for every issues solved.

It's so obvious, it makes me want to barf. 

If that's your joy in SL so be it, I do understand that it is Darrius' joy.

But it is sickening to watch.  If you want to peddle it as some kind of customer service propaganda campaign that's fine.  It's a wee bit too obvious, though.

Sigh. I'm not going to take this personally.  It is an unnecessary, nasty jab from an angry, unhappy person.  Anyone who has been reading the commerce forums regularly for the last few days can make their own decisions about my motivations, just as you have just done.

Sera Lok wrote:

I'll be blunt.

You're running around trying to take credit for every issues solved.

It's so obvious, it makes me want to barf. 

If that's your joy in SL so be it, I do understand that it is Darrius' joy.

But it is sickening to watch.  If you want to peddle it as some kind of customer service propaganda campaign that's fine.  It's a wee bit too obvious, though.

Sigh. I'm not going to take this personally.  It is an unnecessary, nasty jab from an angry, unhappy person.  Anyone who has been reading the commerce forums regularly for the last few days can make their own decisions about my motivations, just as you have just done.

I speak frankly.  not here to make friends.  you can ask anyone that.

eta:  and when I say "here" I mean this enabling commerce forum

>All I can say is that everyone who is finding problems with the marketplace, is doing so because they sold out to LL.

Not me. 

As badly as things are going, my revenues are still greater than my costs. 

Why?

Because I have earned a profound and persistent distrust of LL that has kept me from buying any listing enhancements or ("yet") migrating any of my products to the mandatory downgrade. 

My boxes appear to be working just fine; I'm probably just not getting many orders because buyers have been scared away from the SLM more generally. 

Really, I guess you could say that my only "problem" is that SLM is accumulating less money for me while I sleep than it did until recently.

So why do I continue to criticize?

Because, unlike LL (apparently), I actually care what happens to SL, to the SLM, to my fellow merchants, and to customers.

It's a shame to see so much potential being agressively fed into the toilet like a kilo of organic soybeans in a USDA raid.

>Just for grins Mickey, who do you put on the "Enablers" list? Me?

For my own part, I am guilty of recently raising some of my prices above 9L, enabling LL to take a comission.

If I'm now thinking I shouldn't even have done that, you can imagine what I already think about most of you and how much more complicit you have been. 

>I'm more on the side of letting LL know what the problems are,

Again, the technical problems are incidental.

What's broken is LL's decision process.

As a sincere capitalist, I suppose that offering an optional utility downgrade is fine if some users are stupid enough to prefer it.

But this downgrade is stated as non-optional.

That's the part that's got me personally fired up over this continuing incident.

Not sure you noticed this or not Mickey, but I didn't start "talking nice" with them until they started engaging and fixing the stuff they'd broken. They made the first effort, I'm just returning the favor by treating them nice .. as I'd always promised I would.

Sure I could carry on being a hard-nose about stuff, but they're working to fix what's broken. Now, if they take a week or so to fix some of these showstopper issues, you'll see me growing in anger and frustration .. and venom. But for right now, they made a good faith effort, they're continuing that good faith effort, so I'm responding with good faith support.

It's that "Balance" thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.