Being "Followed" on the MyProfile system

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What the heck does it mean when I get an email saying I'm being "followed" by some resident you've never heard of?

I can sort of understand what it might mean in the context of sites such as Twitter, Facebook, or LiveJournal. You're putting stuff there which you want people to look at and read.  There's a whole different level of stalkerish creepiness about it when it happens in a virtual world.

I don't post stuff to those profile pages. I just don't. So I don't see what sensible reason there is for anyone to "follow" me.

Consider this to be the scream-and-leap phase of hearing footsteps behind me in a dark alley. 

Well, if you never do anything on your Profile you're right: makes no sense to be followed but it's not really a big deal. Followers ONLY see what gets posted to your profile pages. And there is now a way to remove followers.

Log into my.secondlife.com, select 'People', select 'Followers', check the 'Remove' box.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

What the heck does it mean when I get an email saying I'm being "followed" by some resident you've never heard of?

I can sort of understand what it might mean in the context of sites such as Twitter, Facebook, or LiveJournal. You're putting stuff there which you want people to look at and read.  There's a whole different level of stalkerish creepiness about it when it happens in a virtual world.

I don't post stuff to those profile pages. I just don't. So I don't see what sensible reason there is for anyone to "follow" me.

Consider this to be the scream-and-leap phase of hearing footsteps behind me in a dark alley. 

I choose to believe that being followed means I'm intellectually and sexually irresistible to someone.

Stop laughing!

ETA: I mean it!

It is like being followed on Twitter.  A follower can see your public posts when you make them.  If you use MySL to post about events and other things you like, you probably want people to follow you. If you don't post on MySL, there is nothing for a follower to see.  If you dont want people to see something, don't put it anywhere on the internet.

TKR

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

You can stop someone from following you.  Unless they are your friend.  Then you can't tell if they are following you or not.

You can set it so no one can start to follow you.  Will that prevent friends from following you?  I thinks so.  Will it stop existing friends who were following you from continuing to follow you?  No.

Actually you can see anyone following you whether they are a friend or not.  You can also remove anyone that is following you now too without effecting your friends list.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.