Reflective Light on Glass

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I saw a very interesting effect that I have yet to be able to do and wanted to know if anyone else had seen this.  It was transparent glass with a reflection that when I moved my camera over at different angles, the slight prismatic reflection also changed.

When I right clicked the object to see if I could find out more, there was no script in it and the object was set to Media.  When you don't move your camera, it does not change, only when you pan over it.

I'll probably have to go back and beg the builder to tell me their secret but it was a wild affect for glass.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

I saw a very interesting effect that I have yet to be able to do and wanted to know if anyone else had seen this.  It was transparent glass with a reflection that when I moved my camera over at different angles, the slight prismatic reflection also changed.

When I right clicked the object to see if I could find out more, there was no script in it and the object was set to Media.  When you don't move your camera, it does not change, only when you pan over it.

I'll probably have to go back and beg the builder to tell me their secret but it was a wild affect for glass.

Have you got an LM, Chelsea?

It may not show unless you have your graphics turned up but there is a slight prismatic reflection in the center that changes.  The diagonal lines not but something inside does.  The friends I was with last night there also noticed it when I pointed it out.  I'm starting to think they may have a prim within a prim but if that was the case, we'd have an alpha clash which I didn't see.

I see the faint diagonal white highlighting in the glass panels, which is not affected by changing camera view. What I do see "moving" is a bit of glow around the panels edges. This is even more pronounced on the signs attached to the curved wooden panels surrounding the landing point. I have seen this around most glowing things in SL and attribute the "shimmering" to aliasing/quantizing effects in the implementation of "glow".

Chelsea, I created a simple prim, set it mostly transparent and added a li'l glow. It shows the same effect I saw at the club. I dropped a copy on ya in-world. Rez it, cam around it and let me know of that's what you saw. I'm curious!!!

Thanks Madeline.  Odd as I work with Glow a lot with my lighting store but I have yet to see anything quite like this.  I'll look at yours when I log in and again thanks.

I'll also stop by Beachwood again and take some screen shots to see if what I am seeing is consistent with others.

Just wondering... Is it possible it was done with mesh? I reckon (but haven't tried it yet), that this effect could be achieved by taking advantage of the way that mesh faces work. (Individual faces on a mesh (and prim for that matter) can only be visible on one side). Anyways... in theory... if the "prism" effect inside the glass has various faces in a mesh set at different angles, ideally with transparency and a little bit of glow, I would assume that as your camera moves past / around it... individual faces would move in and out of camera line-of-sight, and pop in and out of visibility (I hope I worded that so it makes sense!).

The same effect could be achieved with prims, but would be very expensive. With mesh, since you can create a shape like this in a single object, it would be quite feasible I think. Not entirely certain, but I reckon that's how it could be done. Would make for a fun experiment anyway.

(Sidenote: In a mesh, you can allocate up to eight different texture faces via materials... and unlike faces on a prim, individual faces in a mesh don't have to be in a single continuous space - they can be scattered across the object and still have the same properties of a single face that a prim face would have. This could also be used to enhance the prism effect).

:matte-motes-smile:

The glass panels appear to be simple prims. I did see some pulsing li'l things buried half in the ground near some of the panels, they were part of some dance machine and I don't think that's what Chelsea saw. After re-reading her description, I also don't think she was seeing the glow artifact I noticed around the edges. She said the effect was in the middle of the panels.

Glow has always produced some "shimmering", particularly when viewing one glowing thing through the glow around another glowing thing. But again, that doesn't look like what Chelsea is describing. I hope she's able to take a pic!

My idea... is having a mesh shape... lots of "pointy hills and valleys" vertically, facing outward... LOL, kind of hard to describe in pure text.... imagine it like a big row of:  VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV  (this would be vertical, the lower part of the VVVVV would be furthest away from your view, and the tops would be the pointy bits facing you... like a piece of paper folded and facing you (LOL, this is hard to describe!).

This mesh shape would then be sandwiched inside a transparent flat panel, to give it a flat glass effect (either a mesh or a prim). Add some glow to the VVVVVVVV mesh and transparency, and I would guess it would achieve the effect. Not necessarily the same method used at the club though, but an idea for people to play with if they want to try it out.

Still.. it's always fun dissecting things to figure out how to be creative. :matte-motes-smile:

Howdy, Miss Chelsea! 

I'm at the Beachwood Club now and I see the exact prismatic effect you're describing, but, when I pan my camera around, it does not change.  It just looks like a glass texture to me.  The edges of the glass are fantastic!  I pulled up the creators profile and I see her store name.  She's offline at the moment or I would IM her and ask about them too.  :-) 

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Howdy, Miss Chelsea! 

I'm at the Beachwood Club now and I see the exact prismatic effect you're describing, but, when I pan my camera around, it does not change.  It just looks like a glass texture to me.  The edges of the glass are fantastic!  I pulled up the creators profile and I see her store name.  She's offline at the moment or I would IM her and ask about them too.  :-) 

I agree about the glass edges, Marcus. But I'm still not sure I saw the prismatic effect. We may have to hold a glass viewing party there.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Howdy, Miss Chelsea! 

I agree about the glass edges, Marcus. But I'm still not sure I saw the prismatic effect.
We may have to hold a glass viewing party there.

LOL!  OK...I'm game for a glass viewing party!  When I was there before there was a major party going on and so if there's a bunch of us there lookin at glass panels I'm sure everybody will be like;  "What are they DOING over there???"

/me laughs :smileyvery-happy:

The item is set to media?

Do all the observers who have reported back here have their media settings the same?

I don't know specifically about the effect described, but I know some effects that are impossible without media can be done using media.  I know there is a possible water effect that makes water appear to ripple when you mouse over it that relies on media for instance.

If Chelsea has media on in her settings and everyone reporting back that they do not see the same effect do not, this would explain why only Chelsea is seeing what she is describing but others are not seeing it, and would also indicate that whatever is creating the effect involves media.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

I went and looked at the glass and I am almost sure it is just a gradient texture and glow applied to the glass prim.  The effect you are seeing when you move your camera is just the applied glow with full bright reacting with the texture at the bottom of the box, which might be set to full bright too. 

The "prismatic" effect you mentioned is just the glow and full bright making artifacts appear on the texture used for the glass.  So when the camera moves, it almost looks like something dynamic is happening with the reflection.  

Just my guess.  :smileyhappy:

ETA:  I didn't notice the effect with the glass walls, except for the artifacts on the texture from the glow.    I only observed it on the platforms with the glass surfaces. 

Edited again after I tried to recreate the effect.  Sorry for all the editing. lol

I don't know what this thing looks like, but bump mapping can be different looking on different peoples GPU's because some do not use the new shaders? Not sure. I have not compared bump mapping for a while, but it used to make a difference. I sort of don't know these days....been a while since I looked to see if new shiney was taken out. Plus, if you use a third party....I am clueless, but maybe they are still including the new shiney as optional, I mean....IF LL took it out. I don't know.

I'm having this weird issue on SL Viewer  2. since it update to 3 and over. graphics on my character is like going out of place and some parts of the sim too. last time in 2011, i had no problems. but now in 2012, i'm having bigger issuses and it also became very laggy alot too.its like when i just stand there or walk to places. my character's hair style was like flashing and also some of the color of it keeps going off in place. like static. and plus, when i log on, some of the outfits and objects i was wearing kept failing to rez.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.