Customers claiming they haven't gotten a "Delivered" product....

Myrylyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

I run a reasonably successful store at the Marketplace and, occasionally, a customer will report that they never received a product that they ordered. In checking my records, I can clearly see that the Marketplace server reports that item as having been "Delivered" as opposed to "Delivery Failed" or "Delivery Partially Failed."

I'm not a miser, but I put a lot of work into my products and would rather not be duped by someone claiming that the product didn't arrive so they could get a second copy.

Do any of my fellow merchants know if the Marketplace can be "inaccurate" about whether or not something has been delivered?

The main reason I ask is because the person reviewed the product with one star (meaning they had, in fact, at least paid for the product at some time) and then condemned me for what they interpreted to be a failed delivery.

Very frustrating, given that the Marketplace told me it was paid for and delivered.

Sigh. Maybe I am just venting. =<';'>=

Magic Boxes use a method via script, the script function is called llGiveInventory and has no confirmation.  This is a long standing bitching point for scripters.

What the Marketplace is telling you is that it sent the message to the Magic Box to ask it to deliver and as far as it's concerned, it has "Delivered".

If the recipient was offline, messages capped, llGiveInventory is capped and the offer is lost.

I've also had several occassions where i've accepted and nothing has gone to inventory.  I opened a JIRA on this.

Trust the customer on this and if you're concerned, sell COPY permission items, then you won't feel you're giving a free second copy because they're entitled to as many as they can eat.

As for the 1 star for failed delivery, this is bitching point number 2, that people can review an item they didn't receive.

Open a support case under the "Keep Dakota in a Job" initiative, LL have said that they will remove reviews where the delivery is at fault.

Method number two is to suggest that the customer opens a case since LL have visibility of their inventory although it wouldn't be able to tell whether they'd given a no copy/trans item to someone else first.

What value to you place on your customer service?

This is a huge and well documented problem. I constantly have to redeliver items that  a customer has paid for but hasn't received. The shopping cart is the elephant in the room. If a customer fills his / her cart there's a good chance that at least one item will go astray. If the the customer fills  same cart with goods from  different merchants then there is even more chance of something getting lost in transit. If same customer opts to send an item as a gift then the risk of loss again goes way upwards. I now advise all my customers to buy 1 item at a time from a single merchant.

Having said that I wouldn't put all the blame at LLs feet. Accidently dismissing the accept button happens a lot more then folks care to admit. A heavy lag storm a region where the magic boxes are held or the goods are being sent to can also disrupt delivery. And of course there is the ludicrous 'capping' that LL insist on imposing. And sometimes  folks spend ages looking in the wrong folders for the goods whose name they have forgotten. So when you stop and think about it, it's  nothing short of a miracle that so many transactions do go through without a hitch.

I tend to give all my customers the benefit of the doubt and press the redeliver button for them. Afterall goodwill is worth a lot more then products value. There might  have been the odd scammer over the years, but lifes to short to worry about that and I prefer to see the good in folks.

I guess if the Commerce Team were certain their delivery process was watertight then we wouldn't need the redeliver button they provide would we?

^L^

Lasher Oh wrote:

I guess if the Commerce Team were certain their delivery process was watertight then we wouldn't need the redeliver button they provide would we?

^L^

The present hugely decoupled non transactional, multi queue'd processing system we have right now needs far more than a redelivery button to tighten it up!

I’ve had that happen when a customer says that they bought something from me and can't find it in inventory.  There are so many different failure points, including asset server issues, that I just gave another copy (after checking my orders log.)  

I work hard, too, but I take the approach that the customer is telling the truth about not receiving or not being able to find it.

A customer may not remember when the service and products were good, but they will always remember bad service.  It leaves an indelible bad taste in their mouth.  Not only won't they forget, they're likely to tell everyone who will listen to them.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Method number two is to suggest that the customer opens a case since LL have visibility of their inventory although it wouldn't be able to tell whether they'd given a no copy/trans item to someone else first.

Just curious.  I have always assumed that records are kept of all transfers and that they are accessible to at least certain Lindens.  They're not?

Oh i'm sure records are kept but that would require effort.  I can't assume to be correct but I wouldn't expect the support staff to go any deeper than seeing if the item was present in inventory of the avatar in question.

They *might* do extensive checks, they might not.  I'm just assuming ... not. :)

As customer happened to me from 10 to 20 times. Now, As merchant, when someone says that the item wasn't delivered I don't have any difficult to believe him/her, since "Been there done that". 

I agree, with the opinion that customer service leaves a strong impression in people. More than the item quality, sometimes. 

I pretty much always err on the side of the customer on this one. No matter what the permissions of the item is. Good will, goes a long way for me, so I imagine my customers feel the same. It literally costs me nothing to resend the item to them, I'm happy to. Stuff happens. Even if it is the customer's fault (not typically), I wouldn't much care.

But my approach to this is a lot like my approach to many other things in life. I'd rather assume the best of someone, and be later proven wrong, than to assume the worst and be proven wrong. The latter, would not only make me feel like an idiot, but prove me to be one. I'm not an idiot, and I plan on remaining that way for the rest of my life :D

I replace things for folks all the time. Even things they've broken-hey, it happens. I had someone once copybot something I created, and try and rip the scripts out of the original, and put it in their copy. Totally busted the whole thing-both the one he made, and my original. Obviously this person wasn't very schooled in copybot, and how to mange not only pulling it off, but not getting caught. He sent me a nc with a problem detailing the issue he had and attempted to send back the original with it's contents intact, but it being nonfunctional. What he didn't realize was he sent me the copied version he made, with my scripts. I could have done any number of things. But I took the high road, didn't attack him, didn't engage him in conversation about his deeds, nothing at all like that. I sent him a new one, along with new instructions(which was one of the points he made in his nc, he didn't understand my instructions), and a kind note to please not attempt to rip the item apart, or copy it, because it would have the same results next time and I might not be online to fix it right away. If he was interested in a custom version done to his specifics, I'm more thanhappy to help out. I'm faily certain he probably felt sheepish after that. But he HAS bought more items from me since then and even brought others in to purchase as well. Que sera sera.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.