Bay City ~ Any Other Places in SL Like Bay City?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bay City is my favorite place in SL and I'm wondering if there are any other places on the grid like Bay City?

Traveling around the Linden Roads lately throughout the grid, I've noticed a trend towards more and nicer Linden-owned public lands beside the roads.  I wish there were more places designed like Bay City.  Are there plans for better designed mainland areas and roads in the future?

Cheers.

So it is a old city sim?

I'll have to visit it some time.

I've seen a few of old cities, try Seraph City for instance and of course 1920s Berlin :)

Although the latter is not just an old city, it is a roleplay sim.

But both these sims have early 20th century architecture, roads, shops, etc.

There is Nautilus, just like bay city, also there is a underwater city at sarante, there is a lovely greek fishing village at bohol, with a under water labyrinth covering a whole sim next to it, mount Olympus is just a short sail away, and in the Blake sea at half hitch is a small fishing town were the whole sim is rez, so you can rez some dance balls and dance as the sun sets and ships sail by.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Over in the Land Forum/Mainland you'll find sticky threads for Bay City and Nova Albion. 

Bay City and Nova Albion are examples of an approach that didn't scale well over time.

The Lindens don't have the resources to actively micro manage large numbers of sims.

Yeah, no, I don't think they were ever intended to scale much beyond their current footprint.  Well, smaller, actually, until the Teen Grid's version of Bay City got grafted onto the west end.  Although they did add the zoned Nautilus island after (the original) Bay City, so I guess that's a kind of "scaling"... this after they stopped growing Gaeta, so arguably it was the rest of Mainland that didn't scale.

Anyway, in terms of "zoning", even earlier than Shermerville were Brown and Boardman (suburban) and De Haro (campsites).  

Also, the Kama City sims on Zindra were intended to be urban, but they made a mistake with those: they're mostly single-primmed, but still set no-join/no-subdivide/no-terraform.  That city ended up less recognizably themed than any of the other attempts.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Yeah, no, I don't think they were ever intended to scale much beyond their current footprint.  Well, smaller, actually, until the Teen Grid's version of Bay City got grafted onto the west end.  Although they did add the zoned Nautilus island after (the original) Bay City, so I guess that's a kind of "scaling"... this after they stopped growing Gaeta, so arguably it was the rest of Mainland that didn't scale.

Anyway, in terms of "zoning", even earlier than Shermerville were Brown and Boardman (suburban) and De Haro (campsites).  

Also, the Kama City sims on Zindra were intended to be urban, but they made a mistake with those: they're mostly single-primmed, but still set no-join/no-subdivide/no-terraform.  That city ended up less recognizably themed than any of the other attempts.

Bay City always intended to be added to, with a tileable infrastructre and two sides to allow expnsion on -- though the lab has not opted to add to our edges beyond the teen grid addition in January 2011. It is a themed mainland area consisting of 24 residential regions (each has the world "Bay City" in the parcel name) and an equal amount of so of Linden owned regions surrounding the area.

Bay City is a double-prim city area themed to the American urban experience, between 1940 and 1965, perhaps best typified by Chicago circa 1950 and marked by a distinct deco influence. It also has a very vibrant group, the Bay City Alliance, that assists and serves the local community. We have severlal regular gatherings, meetings on Tuesdays, and host periodic special events. You can find out more about Bay City in the Bay City Community Center at http://slurl.com/secondlife/Daley%20Bay/230/20/24/

There are, as Qie noted, a couple other areas that are similar. Nova Albion (the four regions of Grignano, Sistiana, Barcola, and Miramare) are the original city regions. Nautilus City is a mythological-ish, greco-romanesque themed city. Kama City played off the "substainable future" theme but, yes, that has largely gone by the wayside from all I have gathered.

Other early experiments were named by Qie above, as well as the Lusk Estates (on the southwest end of the Lusk region) and a few others that have faded into antiquity (Yamato) or vanished (Lindenberg, Venice).

Come on by Bay City some time and check us out!

Mari

(Current head of the Bay City Alliance!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.