My Second Life on the dashboard: YAY!

valerie Inshan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My Second LIfe, I mean my personal SL, not the LL service/product, happens on the grid, in world. My avie doesn't really exist once she's logged off. I have no interest in this dashboard thingie and never used it to date.

It's probably intended for the short term visitors, the "facetwitters" as we oldbies call 'em. Whole day connected to the net, but only 5 minutes in SL.

valerie Inshan wrote:

Thank you LL for adding this much expected feature on the dashboard! This will be so helpful for many Residents, especially the recents ones. Good job! :smileyhappy:

PS: posting this in the General Discussion to be read by the largest number of people.

That's is really helpful! Thanks LL and Valerie for the post.

Porky Gorky wrote:

I have questions, probably due to the fact I live in my own little SL bubble.

1. What is a dashboard.
Come on Porky, it's going to be 3 years within 10 days exactly that you have been in these fora. And you'd want us to believe you've never noticed your dashboard when you login to this site? Never checked the grid status or your friends online?

2. Is "My Second LIfe" a service or product?
You test it, you name it. I personally take it as service.

3. How does the answer to Q2 work on the answer to Q1.
The dashboard is a service, definately.

4. Do I need to care about any of it?
No you don't NEED to. But you are ABLE to. That's what matters.

Thanks.
You are welcome.

The dashboard is a web page personalized to each account and is what you see when you log into the website.  It has information about your accounts contact information,  transactions, land, friends, groups etc.

My Second Life is your avatars profile, as it is shown on the web.  You will want to visit the site to set up your personal privacy preferences as to who can see what in your profile, post on your feed, or 'follow you' when viewing it on the web.  The choices are, everybody on the internet, only SL residents, only your friends, or nobody.  You access it by going to https://my.secondlife.com/ after logging into the website.

Yesterday LL posted on everyone's dashboard the following with a link to your web profile:

NEW!

My Second Life

Add your interests to my.secondlife and see recommendations for people you might want to follow or connect with in Second Life. Start meeting people as awesome as you.

You should visit the site if for no other reason than to set up your privacy preferences.

Orca Flotta wrote:

My Second LIfe, I mean my personal SL, not the LL service/product, happens on the grid, in world. My avie doesn't really exist once she's logged off. I have no interest in this dashboard thingie and never used it to date.

It's probably intended for the short term visitors, the "facetwitters" as we oldbies call 'em. Whole day connected to the net, but only 5 minutes in SL.

I hear you Orca and I can understand your point. Using or not this "my.secondlife" feature is a personal choice. As an oldbie myself (and no, I don't "facetwitt"), I didn't care much about that in the beginning and was even a bit suspicious. These feeds have turned out to be a place where friends do socialize and chat outside SL. The person beyond my avi doesn't disappear when I log off. And not everyone can login to SL at any time. As for the short term visitors as you put it, you'd be surprised to see that my.secondlife is almost exclusively used by older residents (I was even going to say veterans).

Nobody is obliged to use this "thingie". But there is nothing you can do to avoid your web profile being accessible. All you can do is put your privacy settings to "nobody"'. There's nothing more boring than a blank profile. This way you are sure you won't be bothered. :smileyhappy:

this is good for when you are not in sl..not many knew the link to their profiles..

that or that they could get to them without being logged in..

i don't really  use my profile much anymore since they went web based..but for those that do..it's nice to be able to get there from your dashboard now or put it in your fav bookmarks..

valerie Inshan wrote:

Porky Gorky wrote:

I have questions, probably due to the fact I live in my own little SL bubble.

1. What is a dashboard.
Come on Porky, it's going to be 3 years within 10 days exactly that you have been in these fora. And you'd want us to believe you've never noticed your dashboard when you login to this site? Never checked the grid status or your friends online?

2. Is "My Second LIfe" a service or product?
You test it, you name it. I personally take it as service.

3. How does the answer to Q2 work on the answer to Q1.
The dashboard is a service, definately.

4. Do I need to care about any of it?
No you don't NEED to. But you are ABLE to. That's what matters.

Thanks.
You are welcome.

Thanks for the info.

I have now found my dashboard, Yay for me!

I am serious when I say I have never seen it before today. I have seperate links for each part of the site I use that are probably allot older than the dashboard. So when I want to check transactions, sell L$ and cash out I go direct to my account page,  I use a direct link for the forum, which is also where I read blogs. The friends on-line panel appears on my account page so I knew about that. And I get my grid status reports the same place I always have http://status.secondlifegrid.net/..

So thats all I use the website for, I never have any reason to click on the 'home' button or enter my account via secondlife.com. So that is how I have missed the dashboard all these years.

I have heard the term dashboard in the forum but never known what it meant in relation to SL. So now I know :smileyhappy:

valerie Inshan wrote:

Thank you LL for adding this much expected feature on the dashboard! This will be so helpful for many Residents, especially the recents ones. Good job! :smileyhappy:

PS: posting this in the General Discussion to be read by the largest number of people.

I am happy to see this too!  I hope more people will be using and looking at profiles this way, the newer viewers show your feed in your web profile which I happen to really like... it's a nice place for me to post updates (from inworld, mind you) that anyone looking at my profile will see (if they are in a viewer that shows them).  

And it's also nice that you can "follow" people without having to friend them.  Just because I want to know about someone's product updates doesn't necessarily mean I want to ask them to be my friend^^ lol.

I was not a fan of the web profiles at first... but now I really like them.  I love posting snapshots from inworld to my feed :)

Orca Flotta wrote:

I disagree, since if you are using a viewer that enables it, you can post pictures and posts from inworld (with slurl links) and also view feeds from inworld.  I use the mysecondlife more inworld and when I am offworld, personally

Rene Erlanger wrote:

All features that reduces time spent in-world.....Profiles, Forums & Marketplace. Might as well make SL a browser base platform! :matte-motes-impatient:

You can view profiles in a browser now too? LoL didn't know that.

Just can't motivate myself to become interested in all these  "extras" really. All my time in SL is spent either building or supporting. Forum posting is generally me killing time at work or on my commutes. I check MP once per day to look for  failed deliverries but other than that I try to avoid the internet as I just get sucked in and waste hours of my life.

Same used to happen with me and this forum. I find I get too involved in discussions, or start arguing with people , then get sucked in and find i've wasted half my evening when I should have been working in SL. I now ban myself from looking at any forums during SL building hours. If I am going to waste time here I should do it during the day when I am at my real job and being paid for it :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

That's a good point. So many "homes" one can get lost! :smileyvery-happy: But the aim of this thread was to point out the new link on the dashboard. People may like or dislike the web profiles thing but so many of us don't even know they have one that they can manage without login in (I'm with Porky on this: I'm in the forums when at - boring -RL work, unable to get in SL, lol). So loving or hating this feature is up to each of us. Having this link is in all cases a great improvement. 

@ Sera: I agree, one of the funniest feature is posting pics to your feed. Hopefully TPVs will include that in their updates.

@ Linda, LOL! Use another browser and see if you can access your profile. IE doesn't seem to be my.secondlife's best friend so far. Give a try with Firefox or Chrome if you can. :smileyhappy:

Edited to add: Some time ago, when asked about the possibility to post pictures saved on your computer (not just from inworld), Torley Linden mentioned that LL would be working on this.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

OMG - I just looked again at the home/dashboard.  There's a Connect & Share box that also has a link to the home/profile.  So now I'm much less impressed that there's a 2nd splashy one that's labeled 'NEW!'

i'm pretty sure that link under connect/share is new as well ^^  not 100% sure tho.

valerie Inshan wrote:

@ Sera: I agree, one of the funniest feature is posting pics to your feed. Hopefully TPVs will include that in their updates.

Edited to add: Some time ago, when asked about the possibility to post pictures saved on your computer (not just from inworld), Torley Linden mentioned that LL would be working on this.

I've been using Exodus, which does support posting to feed, yay :)  But currently I'm on the Beta Viewer.  Posting from own computer would be excellent! then I could post my ad pictures instead of having to take an additional inworld screenshot. But it's not too inconvenient since they don't charge for uploading pix to profile feed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.