Why info hubs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

I have been away from this forum for 2 years, when I came back I noticed it had changed a lot, including the people, at first I thought you all plants just to fill it out, linden pretending to be residents, so I looked at your sl profiles, to see if you were all real, I found lots of you have these info hubs as you picks, and you had nothing but info hubs, so still not sure if any of you are real, well, would not lindens have info hubs as picks, i would never, anyway so I looked round them and at the kind of people at them, so led to my question why have you all got info hubs as picks,

i used to just use where i worked before..

if you would have looked a couple of years ago you would have seen nothing but GOL as the URL for all my picks..

i learned early on to use other places for my personal picks because using my land had people stopping in any time they felt..if i knew them or not..

this is an old hat security tip..i'm suprized you hadn't heard of it until now..

it lines up with hiding the groups that you don't want people following you around in as well hehehe

if i were a linden i don't think i would have some of the picks i do in my profile.. lol

plus i would be wearing out godmod... i wouldn't be in here lol

Infohubs replaced the telehubs that existed before LL rolled out point to point teleporting in 2005. Back then telehubs were a natural gathering place as that was the point in a region that avatars would arrive when teleporting into the area (unless they had a personal TP request).  Land around telehubs used to be in massive demand as well due to to all the passing traffic. So I think the popularity of infohubs as gathering places stems back the telehub days and has existed ever since to some degree.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i learned early on to use other places for my personal picks because using my land had people stopping in any time they felt..if i knew them or not..

this is an old hat security tip..i'm suprized you hadn't heard of it until now..

it lines up with hiding the groups that you don't want people following you around in as well hehehe

I'm the other way around.

I use Picks to denote places I want folks visiting. Feed and profile for all that communicaty babbly bobble.

So my Picks will have my land, and often home lots (though not currently).

Then again its never made sense to me personally to use a Pick to say something like 'this is my friend so and so, mess with her or our family and I'm gonna get you cause I'm a bad-a**-b*tch-vampire' - which -IS- what I see in a lot of Picks. :)

o.O

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

I'm the other way around.

I use Picks to denote places I want folks visiting. Feed and profile for all that communicaty babbly bobble.

So my Picks will have my land, and often home lots (though not currently).

Then again its never made sense to me personally to use a Pick to say something like 'this is my friend so and so, mess with her or our family and I'm gonna get you cause I'm a bad-a**-b*tch-vampire' - which -IS- what I see in a lot of Picks.
:)

o.O

i like the ones that really get deep and threatening  and they will hunt you down to the ends of the earth and kill anyone and their whole family if they make their BFF cry LOL

i love reading those profiles..

my profile is just random picks..i put no effort in my profile anymore like i used to..

i used to really go all out  and had everywhere i went or all the places i liked..

but really i don't do that much anymore like i used to..so i just throw random picks up  lol

lol, ok thats your excuse, i use the picks for my shop, you said you once made and created, i take it then that you have given all that up, still dont explain info hubs, if you didnt want anyone following you then dont have any picks, but to have 4 picks of the same place dont look like hiding to me, do you hang out there as an alt?

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

lol, ok thats your excuse, i use the picks for my shop, you said you once made and created, i take it then that you have given all that up, still dont explain info hubs, if you didnt want anyone following you then dont have any picks, but to have 4 picks of the same place dont look like hiding to me, do you hang out there as an alt?

omg one is onto us!!

ok guys you know what to do..code P code P..one is waking up!!

starting the count down..

10....9...8... 3.2,1!!

i love parinoid people ..you guys are so cute when you get going hehehehehe

Ceka Cianci wrote:

my profile is just random picks..i put no effort in my profile anymore like i used to..

i used to really go all out  and had everywhere i went or all the places i liked..

but really i don't do that much anymore like i used to..so i just throw random picks up  lol

My own picks are mostly because I don't like using the favorites bar or my landmarks folder - the favorites bar because I've been condition by website spam addons to avoid anything that claims to be my favorite, and any toolbar plugin that appears on my screen just has cooties... and the landmark folder because its full of 3000+ plus places I went to as a noob and I have no idea what is what anymore... :)

So my Picks has the places I go to constantly - my own land. Everything else I just use search, even if I have a landmark, maybe, somewhere, for it... all those places spamming landmarks at me over the years have conditioned me to see my own LMs as spam... even if I made them myself... ;)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

My own picks are mostly because I don't like using the favorites bar or my landmarks folder - the favorites bar because I've been condition by website spam addons to avoid anything that claims to be my favorite, and any toolbar plugin that appears on my screen just has cooties... and the landmark folder because its full of 3000+ plus places I went to as a noob and I have no idea what is what anymore...
:)

So my Picks has the places I go to constantly - my own land. Everything else I just use search, even if I have a landmark, maybe, somewhere, for it... all those places spamming landmarks at me over the years have conditioned me to see my own LMs as spam... even if I made them myself...
;)

ya i never even tried that favorites bar..i don't even know how it works hehehehe

my landmarks i cleaned those out awhile back..that was kind of interesting seeing where i went way back then..most places were pretty much gone..i had tons of replicas as well lol

i do about the same..i will throw  a search up where  the places i like will pop up in the same spots most times..if something new shows up in there i may go and check it out..

if i ever find something that really draws me back to it because it was just that good..i will probably add it to my picks..

this past year i just haven't really explored that hard like i used to..i think the whole redzone thing and the JLU stuff really ate up a lot of my grid time..which now seems like a big waste of time anyways lol

so hopefully now that i got another sim ..that will open up some old doors and new ones and get me out in world looking for places and things like before..

what i really need to do is load up one of the oldest viewers i have  and use that search engine and see what we may be missing from this one hehehe

maybe when i get my new system i can log my hubby on that for the old search and then have him send me the slurls that his search see's that my search is missing..

i have every viewer exe from when i started SL in 2006..i think even my old nicholiz ones..

it would be neat to see if there was a big difference in the search anyways hehehe

i know this one is kind of boooring..i liked when we had pages instead of one long page loading..it was much easier to just click a page number and go back..

oh well ..hopefully this year will be a more active year for me than an activist one  lol

Why are info-hubs happening? They've only been around for ages in SL. There's nothing static about these places at all. You may see people gathering but you won't see the same crowd all the time. Even those that can be regarded as 'regulars' move on.

But what's the appeal? It's more or less a gathering of people without an agenda. It's a public square, a piazza,  a place to observe and listen or to speak out and be seen. There's always something happeing and It's all free. No cover charge, no tipping, no fear of getting booted out. There's no hierarchy, owners or employees. It's absolute freedom to do or say anything you want or to do nothing at all.

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

Silly child, pity you cant mute people in this forum.

i just finally decided to have fun with your insinuations you were serving up..if you can't eat a little of the dish you are serving then don't put it on the table..

3 times you kept dishing..one time i give you a little none serious taste of your own dish and you get all wha wha ??lol

then you call me the child? seriously? LOL

Ceka Cianci wrote:

What got me on that video is no one confronted the 'weird guy hanging around them with a cell phone.'

I would have expected someone to say something to him, lose their cool and shove him (I've seen violence break out over less), or something. Not on the shorter encounters maybe - but on a few he hovered around just a tad too long.

ya i'm sure he got confronted..the one kid on the bean bag looked like he was about to go after him..then it cut and they were all the way on the other side of the display..i bet they had to explain themselves out of a few of those whoopins  lol

i wish they would show the blooper reals to these lol

The few times I have visited a info hub have not been a positive experience, and the people I came across was rude and very unfriendly .I haven't been back since. If the Sim is down where my home is located and im tped to a Hub, im literally begging my friends to tp me and quick.

Yes, I found that to but I wanted info from them so put up with it while I was there, funny how some of the rudest in this forum have them as picks, so it does make me think there could be at least 2 types of people here, wont go into analyzing them here as the lindens may see that as abuse, but it is all very 2D and a waste I feel.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.