Clothing - Bra on top

newsue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know the easy answer is 'don't wear a bra'  :matte-motes-inlove: but I also note from other posts that many of us like to dress properly so my question is;

Sometimes (not always) my bra appears over the top of a camisole/vest top I wear, if it always on top I'd know what to do but sometimes it is OK and others on top.

Is there any reason for this.

Sue

When wearing multiple items on the same layer, it's first come - first serve.  So, if you have a shirt as undershirt and a bra on the same layer; put the bra on first, then the shirt.  This way the shirt will layer on top.  If you're selecting a whole folder from outside your ourfit list, it's a gamble.  From within your outfit list, the order is remembered.  You can go to the list, take off the shirt and wear it again, then save (not save as) the outfit to fix the issue. (^_^)y

If you're using a viewer that supports more than one clothing item on a layer you can go into "Edit My Ooutfit" and use select the items that are on the same layer and click the arrow that appears to move it up or down in the "stack" of clothing layers. They items highest in the listing appear on the outside.

LoveAngeL Lyre wrote:

Hello newsue. .....or wear first your bra and after your shirt. This way you can use "Add" instead "Wear".

I only appear toi get the 'add' option when I highlight a folder and not if I highlight an individual item of clothing.

Sue

valerie Inshan wrote:

Make sure you wear your bra as "underwear" (that's the little tank top icon), not as a shirt or a jacket layer. Also look at which part of your body your clothes attach.

Didn't know I had control over that, I thought the icon was set by the designer, how can I wear it as underwear, I only appear to have a 'wear' option on the bra.

Sue

Imnotgoing Sideways wrote:

When wearing multiple items on the same layer, it's first come - first serve.  So, if you have a shirt as undershirt and a bra on the same layer; put the bra on first, then the shirt.  This way the shirt will layer on top.

That wasn't happening yesterday but I suppose then it may have been a viewer problem possibly.

Sue

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

If you're using a viewer that supports more than one clothing item on a layer you can go into "Edit My Ooutfit" and use select the items that are on the same layer and click the arrow that appears to move it up or down in the "stack" of clothing layers. They items highest in the listing appear on the outside.

Using Phoenix as the SL viewer failed to work on my computer after a recent update and being quite new I was not able to fix it, Phoenix works fine but not sure about that menu item, can't find it at the moment.

Sue

I cannot recall if the Phoenix viewer allows you to 'add' one of the same type of clothing layered over another of the same type.  The designer should have provided you with an underwear, a shirt, and a jacket layer for your bra so you can choose how to layer it.  If it came in only the underwear later, wear that as your bra and wear your shirt over it as the shirt or jacket layer.  In this case, you can select 'wear' to put each item on.

Well, that's part of your problem. You can't add multiple clothing layers using Phoenix. You CAN add multiple attachments to the same attachment point, such as a necklace and a shirt collar both as "chest" attachments. But you cannot add two shirts as shirt layers. So if you're wearing a bra, a shirt, and a jacket, that's one piece for each layer. The bra has to be an undershirt layer, the shirt has to be a shirt layer, and the jacket has to be a jacket layer in order for everything to line up properly. As a rule, the order is the same as RL - bra on the bottom, shirt in the middle, jacket on top. That your bra is showing up over your shirt tells me that you're either wearing your bra as a jacket layer and your shirt as a shirt layer; wearing your bra as a jacket layer and your shirt as an undershirt layer; or wearing your bra as a shirt layer and your shirt as an undershirt layer.

Look at the icons next to your clothing items. Most creators provide multiple layers for each item. The icons are: a white tanktop indicates an undershirt layer; a button-down, short-sleeved shirt indicates a shirt layer; and a red, long-sleeved "jacket" indicates a jacket layer. (The icons vary slightly depending on your viewer, but these are the Phoenix icons.) Wear the undershirt for a bra and it should appear underneath any shirt and/or jacket layer you wear.

valerie Inshan wrote:

You don't actually have control on it. The little tank top icon MEANS it is underwear. When you get dressed, wear this first, then add the shirt and jacket layers. Then your bra should stay under your outfit.

Strange, this was a purchased Lingerie set, bra, panties, garter and nylons but the bra icon looks like a shirt and that would explain the problem.

Thanks for pointer.

Sue

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Look at the icons next to your clothing items. Most creators provide multiple layers for each item. The icons are: a white tanktop indicates an undershirt layer; a button-down, short-sleeved shirt indicates a shirt layer; and a red, long-sleeved "jacket" indicates a jacket layer. (The icons vary slightly depending on your viewer, but these are the Phoenix icons.) Wear the undershirt for a bra and it should appear underneath any shirt and/or jacket layer you wear.

Thank you, that explains well, I did purchase this bra as part of a set and it shows as a 'shirt' item so maybe I inadvertently deleted something when I thought I had a duplicate.

Sue

newsue wrote:

valerie Inshan wrote:

You don't actually have control on it. The little tank top icon MEANS it is underwear. When you get dressed, wear this first, then add the shirt and jacket layers. Then your bra should stay under your outfit.

Strange, this was a purchased Lingerie set, bra, panties, garter and nylons but
the bra icon looks like a shirt
and that would explain the problem.

Thanks for pointer.

Sue

Yes, that explains it all.

See if the shirt you want to wear includes a jacket layer (the red, long-sleeved shirt icon). If so, you can wear that and it'll appear over the bra. Same effect. Otherwise, you can try IM'ing the creator of the lingerie you purchased and asking if the what you bought should have included an undershirt layer, and if so, if she/he could send you a replacement.

newsue wrote:

LoveAngeL Lyre wrote:

Hello newsue. .....or wear first your bra and after your shirt. This way you can use "Add" instead "Wear".

I only appear toi get the 'add' option when I highlight a folder and not if I highlight an individual item of clothing.

Sue

Use "Add" to attach more than 1 items to the same part of your body. For example prim nails (wear) and a drink (add) to your right hand. Same if you want to wear more than 1 clothes with the same layer. If you don't use "Add" the second item will replace the first one. For the second one only, you use "Add".

For those who are not on later viewers yet:

Many tops come in multiple layer choices. Undershirt, shirt and jacket. You can tell which is which by the icon - it looks like an undershirt, shirt, or jacket.

The undershirt goes on first, the shirt layer covers that and the jacket layer sits on top of it all.

You do not have to wear more than one. You don't usually want to wear more than one of the same item (two layers, same item) unless it tells you to specifically (sometimes a creator will put a different portion of the garment on more than one layer, even in the top part.)

Basically just remember that order and put what you want to show, on the top or only layer.

Thanks everyone for very helpful replies. I know now what the problem is, I may have inadvertently deleted parts of a package thinking they were duplicated, never mind, it is all a great learning curve and I'm meeting some nice people Sue

Melita Magic wrote:

For those who are not on later viewers yet:

Many tops come in multiple layer choices. Undershirt, shirt and jacket. You can tell which is which by the icon - it looks like an undershirt, shirt, or jacket.

The undershirt goes on first, the shirt layer covers that and the jacket layer sits on top of it all.

You do not have to wear more than one. You don't usually want to wear more than one of the same item (two layers, same item) unless it tells you to specifically (sometimes a creator will put a different portion of the garment on more than one layer, even in the top part.)

Basically just remember that order and put what you want to show, on the top or only layer.

when i get a new outfit i don't just choose 'wear' the whole thing.  i put it on item by item so i see exactly what each item is.

sometimes the undershirt, shirt & jacket are duplicates of the same thing, just to give you a layer choice.  other times they are different.  sometimes the chosen layer can change the effect from a shirt tucked in pants to a shirt outside of pants.  so it is good to check what each item does individually. 

When I first joined SL, I deleted all kinds of things. I'd see three different shirts, two or three pants, etc. for the same outfit, try them all on, see no differences, and delete the "extras." Later I learned that those were different layers, and it might have helped me to keep some of them! Now that the v2 viewers let you wear multiples of each layer, though, it doesn't matter quite so much (I still sometimes delete the layers I don't really need, like shirt and jacket layers for a bra, to save inventory space. Or box them up, but mostly just delete ^_^;; )

Perrie Juran wrote:

when i get a new outfit i don't just choose 'wear' the whole thing.  i put it on item by item so i see exactly what each item is.

Good tip, I don't wear at time of purchase but do generally take off existing outfit then wear the new one, didn't realise until this post that items are often duplicated in different layers.

Sue

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

When I first joined SL, I deleted all kinds of things. I'd see three different shirts, two or three pants, etc. for the same outfit, try them all on, see no differences, and delete the "extras."

Been there done that :womanwink:

Sue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.