Discuss how to Improve SL

Knowl Paine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Knowl Paine wrote:

I like your idea, it reminds me of a part of a thread I created titled "Honorary Rank".

To cut to the chase, through various methods of Resident election, a Panel of elected Residents would review, select and present Resident suggestions, ideas, concepts and recommendations to LL.

The Panel of Residents needs to be given some Authority. If a vote is passed to fix things that can be fixed, (move a road, fix a bridge, change land points ect.) those request should be immediately addressed by LL or the LDPW.

Who's working for who; that's my thought.

Usually, the people who are spelling out what needs to be done, are the people who are in charge. (or ready to charge, lol)

sadly, LL is not interested in 'voting,' else they would have never said that they would not consider it when reviewing JIRA's.

Sy Beck wrote:

One simple thing to bat the ball into LL's court.  Every quarter or bi annually LL puts up a survey at the login screen asking what residents (their customers) want to see addressed, introduced, fixed etc.  Options would be drawn from say the top 10 voted for JIRAS, a conflated/collated series of 5-10 suggestions posted by residents in a suggestion box option from the previous quarterly or bi annual survey.

The results would be public and a response or course of intended action from LL would be attached to each point.  People may think that the JIRA option is being unnecessarily replicated, but I know many people inworld who bitch and moan about things and don't even know what the JIRA is or that it exists so it would only add to the weight of numbers asking for action.

I don't expect it to be revolutionary or solve things immediately, but LL will be clear on what we want as customers and we will be clear on when they intend to do something or why they are not going to do it.

The idea is good, but the only public survey/poll that LL have done (that I'm aware of) they ignored the results completely. They asked what users thought about the V2 viewer, in the form of a poll. 95% were against it, so what did LL do? Pressed on with it regardless (stupid people). I think they were looking for some pats on the back, but they got fire on the back instead - it backfired.

Knowl Paine wrote:

I like your idea, it reminds me of a part of a thread I created titled "Honorary Rank".

To cut to the chase, through various methods of Resident election, a Panel of elected Residents would review, select and present Resident suggestions, ideas, concepts and recommendations to LL.

The Panel of Residents needs to be given some Authority. If a vote is passed to fix things that can be fixed, (move a road, fix a bridge, change land points ect.) those request should be immediately addressed by LL or the LDPW.

Usually, the people who are spelling out what needs to be done, are the people who are in charge. (or ready to charge, lol)

This is an interesting idea but one panel for all of SL would probably result in people calling the panel unresponsive idiots when it didn't do what those people want rather than just calling Linden Labs unresponsive idiots. One thing I was going to bring up is much of the Mainland is empty and/or junky but the idea of continents of interconnected sims is a good one. Maybe a "federal government" of residents could be set up on the mainland continents, with different panels for the different areas creating themes and ways of running them. That way people who want things run a certain way would tend to drift toward areas run that way, and people who wanted to do things completely their way would still have the option of private sims.

Phil appears to share your sentiments about LL's opinion on allowing Residents to vote for change.

The truth may be as you have stated it, I hope that this is not the case and that LL would give the voting idea some additional consideration.

I support fixing the region crossing problem. I don't know enough about the processes involve to offer any suggestions on how to fix it, I just agree that it should be fixed.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Maybe a "federal government" of residents could be set up on the mainland continents, with different panels for the different areas creating themes and ways of running them.

I would like to see a world government of residents. Basically, SL being bought out by the residents and operated by the residents, with votes being apportioned on how much of the world each resident owns. 

Realistically though, LL needs to focus on the basics. Straighten billing out, test code better before it's released, stop letting people make decisons that don't use SL, get the spam off the forums, and remove that ridiculous Vampire forum. 

OK just one thing? I guess this one --> Stop letting people make decisons that don't use SL, which should result eventually in a solution to the other problems.

When you pointed out how Residents will shift blame from LL to the Panel, I lol :smileyvery-happy: I bet that LL would enjoy that. 

I agree that One Panel would not be enough to represent all Residents. A Mainland Panel and a Private Regions Panel would be a great start.

On this Panel idea, the purpose of the Panel is to give Residents an opportunity to have greater influence in the Development of SL.

The powers of any Panel created could all be spelled out. The LDPW should be getting some of it's direction from the P, that letter stands for Public. Linden Department of Public Works.

I'm requesting very limited abilities for the Panel. If any powers were given, I would want them to have some teeth.

Small Inworld changes make some Residents very happy. It would be a start. :smileyhappy:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Knowl Paine wrote:

This is an interesting idea but one panel for all of SL would probably result in people calling the panel unresponsive idiots when it didn't do what those people want rather than just calling Linden Labs unresponsive idiots. One thing I was going to bring up is much of the Mainland is empty and/or junky but the idea of continents of interconnected sims is a good one. Maybe a "federal government" of residents could be set up on the mainland continents, with different panels for the different areas creating themes and ways of running them. That way people who want things run a certain way would tend to drift toward areas run that way, and people who wanted to do things completely their way would still have the option of private sims.

Responding to Knowl's paragraph about having a panel of residents and putting things to the vote so that LL and LDW can immediately address whether or not to change bridges/roads/etc., sounds like what used to happen at Michael Linden's /LDW Office Hours.  Not a vote as such, but when the speaker got to the end of the agenda and opened up the meeting, suggestions were made and occasionally seemed to get acted upon. We need more of this really.

Neutral paragraph: It is "our world", and all that, but ultimately LL have the say over what goes on with the linden-owned portions, and even now some sims have a rough track for road.  Just placing roads and a bit of tree/plant decoration made a lot of difference to many mainland sims (thanks to all those little volunteer Moles :matte-motes-smile:   ).

To Theresa, a lot of the mainland does seem full of cluttered junk.  I've always been a mainlander, enjoying driving around the roadways, or teleporting around, and just like in real life, an area that looks like someone fly-tipped is quite depressing.  At the same time, I would not like to see the whole of the mainland become too structured like, say, Bay City, or the Linden Home sims. I love the quirky eclecticness (!) too.  It just does make me wonder, though, how cost effective it is to have quite so much of the mainland empty; land that was abandoned over recent months automatically goes up for sale straightaway at just 1L$ per sq m, but the older abandoned parcels, some of which have been empty for several years, they just lie there like barren wasteland. 

Knowl Paine wrote:

Phil
appears to share your sentiments about LL's opinion on allowing Residents to vote for change.

The truth may be as you have stated it, I hope that this is not the case and that LL would give the voting idea some additional consideration.

I support fixing the region crossing problem. I don't know enough about the processes involve to offer any suggestions on how to fix it, I just agree that it should be fixed.

I was reading through the Beta Server User Group transcripts from a few weeks ago, and guest speaker, Carmilla Linden, helped me understand the most about sim crossings.  They are never going to be able to fix them (I can't see it happening anyway).  Whole meeting's transcript is here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Beta_Server_Office_Hours/Minutes/2011-11-17  Scroll down to 15:16 where Carmilla is introduced to read more.

The JIRA, if anyone wants to add their vote, for sim crossings, is https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-472  (and check out the date this was created!!)

Knowl Paine wrote:

When you pointed out how Residents will shift blame from LL to the Panel, I lol :smileyvery-happy: I bet that LL would enjoy that. 

I agree that One Panel would not be enough to represent all Residents. A Mainland Panel and a Private Regions Panel would be a great start.

On this Panel idea, the purpose of the Panel is to give Residents an opportunity to have greater influence in the Development of SL.

The powers of any Panel created could all be spelled out. The LD
P
W should be getting some of it's direction from the
P
, that letter stands for
Public
. Linden Department of
P
ublic Works.

I'm requesting very limited abilities for the Panel. If any powers were given, I would want them to have some teeth.

Small Inworld changes make some Residents very happy.
It would be a start. :smileyhappy:

Yes. Undoubtedly :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.