Not easy being green

Alishen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I have not played SL in years,and when I did it was very short lived.

now have a new roommate who really enjoys SL and has talked me into trying again.Speaking of her I found a neat bug in the forums..we have a computer in the living room that is more for reading the  news and emailing  we both share.I log into the main site with my account,but when I cam into the forums and posted the first message it was in her account..If I use the back button I go back into the SL main site and once again I am me log in under this name.I had o log her out of the forums and log my self back in.Kind of wonky.

My experience with market place was the same last night,my orders all failed.I did get a return of the Linden dollars a few hours later and was able to receive a order today.So all is well again and I have something to wear.If any one would share with me good places to hang out it would be much appreciated.So far my rootmate stands in 1 spot for many hours "working" as she puts it.They have a sim but its all shops and I like to find a place with people not just shopping!

I did search the forums for topics like this and to be honest the places had no one in them.The events search came up the same.The events listed seem to just bring me to a shop not a club or a place with more then 2 people.

Welcome back!

First off, if you use the marketplace in the future, be careful. Failed orders are EXTREMELY common; it's much easier to order just one item at a time, no more than two; or to find items on the marketplace but go to the inworld store to buy them. You should also be inworld when you place a marketplace order; it's less likely to get lost that way.

As for places to hang out, what are you looking for? You can search for, say, "bar," or "club," and find tons of places. Look for high traffic, as the higher the traffic, the more people pass through, so the more people are likely to be there. Also check out events; otherwise empty places might fill up completely a good event.

What's fun to do in SL really depends on what's fun for You.

If you like exploring creepy places & shooting zombies, I'll recomend the Village of Nyght in Dunwich.

This is a nice sim to explore too.

Try the Showcase page for some ideas of places to explore. You can also do an inworld search on topics of interest & see what you can find on your own.  Many places are sparcely inhabited, but keep looking for places & groups that interest you, and you're bound to find some good ones.

My strong suggestion is to only use the Marketplace to browse. Once you find an item, hit the link to see it inworld and go buy it there.

Helps avoid delivery problems.

If there's no inworld shop, be suspicious. Many dead or banned accounts end up with their marketplace shops still active even though the things to be delivered no longer exist. You buy it, they don't get paid and you don't get delivery. The money just goes poof.

#1: The odd user switching tells me you both use the same user (not SL) account on the same computer. I applaud your trust, but it's a bad, bad idea. Set up different logins if nothing else. Ever OS out there supports that

#2: Events... well, that's an icky topic. There's some very busy places and a ton of totally dead places. Finding the busy ones takes time. Use the event calendar to find them, not the forums.

#3: Marketplace is indeed wonky. I do buy from it, but failed deliveries are more common than flies on horse pie. Buying in-world works best.

OK ,thank you for the replies.

Yes we use the same account on the shared computer,but we both have nice desktops and laptops  in our rooms , I just hated to throw away the older one, we keep it  in the living room as something to check email or look up what's on TV for the most part.

I was in a sandbox learning the controls and the building tools and doing a few of the simple building tips no the  SL wiki website . When I found a page on how to make a shirt and pants . My first stab at it was far from great , but what fun I had !

So I spent all day Sunday doing it over and over and over until I made something worth wearing :) 

Meeting new friends so far in the past couple days is a bust  ,  at least I am having fun and learning new things .

I did ge some money from my roomate and bought some clothing and a skin,I did not risk market place this time as the skin was 4,000 Linden and did not want to risk it.My AV looks less noob now.I uploade a picture to my public photo album here.

Alishen

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

#1: The odd user switching tells me you both use the same user (not SL) account on the same computer. I applaud your trust, but it's a bad, bad idea. Set up different logins if nothing else. Ever OS out there supports that

I've been aware of this issue for a while.

I started a thread to again call attention to the problem:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Security-Flaw-In-The-Second-Life-Web-Site/td-p/1279015

The skins from Bad@zz  have no compare , I found it after looking for  hours at skins.

I am a artist in my real life and feel people should be paid for their artistic abilities ,many many of the skins I found looked  very similar to others  in skin tone and texturing as if they where all made from the same base  and wanted a skin that was unique and well made . Including  a shape and hair I really enjoy the whole purchas. I found the shape to be a little bulky and had fun make one of my own . I found much value in that buy as it enlighten my day and gave me he ability to make changes and get a look I felt was not out of a box.

Alishen

I'm going to disagree about not buying form the Marketplace if the owner doesn't have an inworld store. You take a small chance doing that, but nowdays some SL creators have found they can't afford the tier to own land or the rent to run a well-stocked shop. Also, when you shop on Marketplace, you can search from the lowest priced to the higher priced items, so you can find free and inexpensive items first. If an item isn't delivered, 9 times out of 10, you either don't lose any money or you can contact the seller & they will resend your item. Always be polite to the seller when you have a problem. Being nice pays off. Being bitchy doesn't. I've had several creators give me extra items for free because I told them I liked their work & appreciated their helpfulness.

In world, there is the small risk that another person may have put an invisable prim over a merchant's vendor. If that happens, your money would go to the wrong person and you'd get nothing. That can't happen on the Marketplace. If you go to a large shop that's on land owned by the creator, that probably wouldn't happen. But if a vendor is near a sandbox or on land that allows anyone to rez objects, be careful.

There are lots of good items available on marketplace & inworld that are free or very inexpensive, but you have to know what is good and where to look. My best skins are from Redgrave and are under $L1000. All their demos are free, so you can try out as many as you like without paying anything. You can find good inexpensive skins from Miss Murder on Marketplace, from KRB and from other shops whose names escape me. If you're new and want good free stuff, join the Fabulously Free group. If you want good free & inexpensive gothic stuff, join The Thrifty Goth group. If you want good stuff for a guy, join the Make Him Over Hunt or one of the other men's shopping groups. Look for gift boxes in shops that have free items for group members. Look for Midnight Madness boards & lucky chairs. Most of the freebies in places that have nothing but freebies aren't very good, but when you see alot of people in a place who aren't all newbies, chances are the quality of the product is good.

I'll send you my current list for good freebie shopping. A couple of the shops might be gone now, though.

SL creators with no inworld store are also a bad moral choice - they're helping close all those venues you see closing, as those places no longer have any means of support.

But if you want to buy from them... that's your own risk. There's a lot of cancelled / deleted / banned accounts out there that still have shops listing goods, even though there's no magic box anywhere inworld to deliver it...

Personally I think people who are hurting the system like this -need- to go under. Any fool can afford a 512 lot on premium - and renting a mall stall is even cheaper.

The invisible prim over a vendor thing is a wonderful urban legend. Its happened a handful of times in SL, no more. Its just too easy to spot.

• 3 weeks later...

Alishen wrote:

OK ,thank you for the replies.

Yes we use the same account on the shared computer,but we both have nice desktops and laptops  in our rooms , I just hated to throw away the older one, we keep it  in the living room as something to check email or look up what's on TV for the most part.

I was in a sandbox learning the controls and the building tools and doing a few of the simple building tips no the  SL wiki website . When I found a page on how to make a shirt and pants . My first stab at it was far from great , but what fun I had !

So I spent all day Sunday doing it over and over and over until I made something worth wearing
:)

Meeting new friends so far in the past couple days is a bust  ,  at least I am having fun and learning new things .

I did ge some money from my roomate and bought some clothing and a skin,I did not risk market place this time as the skin was 4,000 Linden and did not want to risk it.My AV looks less noob now.I uploade a picture to my public photo album here.

Alishen

Were you buying a fatpack of skins, or a full perm skin making kit?

Try the fabfree website or join their group or stop by their in world freebie shop. You can get gorgeous skins in Second Life absolutely free, or for as little as 10 Lindens. You just have to put in a small amount of time to check the quality before  you go get it. It's worth it. I don't know how the skin artists are able to offer skins so cheap now but I am very grateful they do.

Always check out the quality freebies when new. Shop owners/creators offer them to get new customers to try their products or to thank their loyal long time customers. When you have been in SL a while, and see something truly unique to you then splurge the money on it. 

You can get a gorgeous avatar going for 0 Linden. I know, I have done it with an alt or newbie or two.  ;p

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

SL creators with no inworld store are also a bad moral choice - they're helping close all those venues you see closing, as those places no longer have any means of support.

But if you want to buy from them... that's your own risk. There's a lot of cancelled / deleted / banned accounts out there that still have shops listing goods, even though there's no magic box anywhere inworld to deliver it...

Personally I think people who are hurting the system like this -need- to go under. Any fool can afford a 512 lot on premium - and renting a mall stall is even cheaper.

The invisible prim over a vendor thing is a wonderful urban legend. Its happened a handful of times in SL, no more. Its just too easy to spot.

Gotta disagree on a couple things there.

I disagree that people closing their in world stores deserve to lose their stores or are responsible for other stores closing. Most of the places I've seen close in the past several months were stand-alone stores, not part of a mall. Many cited real world reasons such as expense, time, or personal tragedy.

Also, there was a huge debacle earlier this year with the meeroo product vendors. Griefers rezzed prims and fake food vendors time and again. They had similar names to the real vendor owner. It is easy to read more about this with a quick google search. (And I don't want to give anyone ideas.) But it is no urban myth. (It also happened last year at another popular shop I'd rather not name, and it used to happen on the in world Linden purchase thingys all the time.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.