Am I being followed?

Airway

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am wondering if it's possible for someone to track me in SL. I have friend who does not have permissions to see my location but tends to know where I am and what I'm doing there. I'm not purposely trying to hide anything but the thought of being followed is a bit unsettling. No one on my friend list has permissions to see my location actually.

It is possible, but you have to cooperate to some extent and wear a scripted item that tracks you.  This is the only sure fire way it can be done.  Do you wear something this person gave you?  You may  not have been informed that it is a tracker when they gave it to you..  If you are, don't wear it and see if it continues.

Other than a scripted tracker , there is no sure way.  However if the person knows you well they may be able to figure out where you are on their own, particularly if you frequent the same places all the time or are a creature of habit.  You can get gadgets that will tell you when someone is online , even if they are 'hiding' it or not on your friends list.

I agree with the other replies and also wanted to add that anything this person gave you that you wear, shoes, jewelry, hair, could have these kinds of "trackers" built-in.  I had a friend who had the same issue, it turned out to be the shoes.  There are also online tracking huds available but they do not have location or listening capabilities, they can tell you if someone is online but not where they are.

All the clothing, jewelry, etc that I wear I purchased myself. I have a few photos in my inventory that the friend gave me but I am not wearing them. I actually noticed the tracker HUDs in the marketplace. Will these tell someone my location or just that I am online? I do frequent some places but have also been located at a place I was at only once or twice. This is a very uncomfortable feeling. Is there anything I can do to prevent it? Is there a way to scan my inventory just to make sure I have no tracking items I'm not aware of?

As far as I know all trackers can only tell you if someone is online and/or where they are if they are on THE SAME SIM as the person doing the tracking.  Just like radar can tell you who is on a sim and where they are.  Tracking between sims requires that a scripted object be attached to the avatar being tracked.  It is illegal to attach anything to another avatar without their consent and any product that did this would be pulled by the lindens.

It is against the TOS to stalk another person as its considered harassment.  If you think that this following has risen to the level of stalking you can file an abuse report for violation of TOS.  You could also file a complaint if you find something that is attached to your avatar that you did not attach or give permission to attach.  If AL finds there is a violation, the person will receive anything from a warning to cease, a suspension, or a ban from SL.  If the violation is not considered to be serious and the person has a clean record, they will get a lighter sentence than someone that commits a serious violation or continually violates the TOS.

Airway wrote:

I am wondering if it's possible for someone to track me in SL. I have friend who does not have permissions to see my location but tends to know where I am and what I'm doing there. I'm not purposely trying to hide anything but the thought of being followed is a bit unsettling. No one on my friend list has permissions to see my location actually.

how well do they know you?

my friends if they felt like hanging around with me and i wasn't at my home or  the club would usually just find one of the places we would hang out..

are they a good friend or are they someone you just met?

is it just social places where you guys are bumping into each other ? or is it like a stalker feeling like you can't make a move without them popping up at places you had never been together before?

Have you told this person that it unsettles you that they seemingly find you wherever you are to the point where you feel stalked?  If the person is a friend, I mean a real friend, you should be able to have this discussion.  If they continue to make you feel uncomfortable, remove them from your contacts list and mute them.

My first question is... is this person finding you in the same locations again and again? It could be more that you are that predicatable. I can pretty much tell you where some of my friends are at any given time of the day or week and no I'm not tracking them. I just know their routines. 

Conifer Dada wrote:

Do you often visit places listed in your picks or groups?  Are these the places where your friend finds you?

I actually have most of my groups hidden and list only a couple of picks.  I have been located at places that are not on either list.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.