Events calendar has become classified ad space

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it just me, or has the events calendar become a classifieds add space?  It is being abused by many to the extent that it is becoming increasingly hard to find an actual event.  I may be wrong, but according to me a sale is not an event, maybe a yard sale.  A new dress for 69L$ is not an event, a DJ playing at a club is not an event, a club with a trivia ball and a 50K sploder is not an event, being invited to come naked to a nudist beach is not an event, these are business as usual.

Live performers appearing at a venue, competitions, music concerts, a screening of a movie, monday night poker, a pony race, these are events, they are things that happen out of the norm, on a special occasion, something that involved planning, something with a definite start and end time, a happening, an event.

I too could jump on the band wagon and list an event every hour on the hour to promote my club (and it can really do with the promotion, lol)  I could say "Come join us for nothing special for the next hour at such and such where every day happenings happen every day all day long, bring your friends"  but to me that is just wrong, and I feel some form of moderation should take place on the events calendar. 

Does anyone else feel the same?

oh oh, one last gripe session...  dont you just hate it when you use inworld search and you see those little icons indicating high, low or moderate traffic, and you get there and its a bunch of campers sitting around doing nothing?  In my opinion a camper and a bot to boost traffic is one and the same thing

Deffinition of Event

a. Something that takes place; an occurrence.
b. A significant occurrence or happening. .
c. A social gathering or activity.
2. The final result; the outcome.
3. Sports A contest or an item in a sports program.
4. Physics A phenomenon or occurrence located at a single point in space-time, regarded as the fundamental observational entity in relativity theory.

Yes a New product you promote is an event
Yes a social gathering is an event
Yes all of the above are events
If you have a social event . Since SL is a social platform. Why not let others know.. It is what it is for/ Maybe every hour is a bit much. But if you are running a 24 hour gig. Then letting the masses know is not as bad as you think it is.

While i do not fully agree about DJs vs Live-Singers, both can do scheduled events every week so Live-Singers are not that special to me! you are right about the most things placed there.

I stopped using it to search places or events i go because you scroll down a list of promos and alot are just copy/pasted every possible hour.

Anyway i think thats what we have to deal with because you cannot draw a clear line what is promo and what is an event blah...

Monti

I don't agree with your assessment of DJs not being events and Live Singers being an event. I guess I classify an event being "something that someone has set up where a live person will actually be there representing the place" - So.. 

An art gallery opening

A club event where a "live DJ" will be playing. 

A 'concert" by a live singer. 

A poetry reading

A movie showing that has a host

Sadly, this does not include "We're having a huge sale, come by and buy something from me in a store without any people or interaction other than monetary". 

Also, camping to me is a double edged sword.. I like the increased traffic it would bring to my own place (if I had campers, but I don't), and I like sitting and sorting my inventory or making notecards or doing other boring stuff while waiting to win something that I really like (I may be a little cheap...) But, I agree that it gets abused A lot. 

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

It was cleverly
not
named '
Special
Events calendar.

lol, so true...

I suppose a DJ hosting a party can be viewed as an event, especially if its a well known DJ and he/she does not usually host at said venue, but can the same be said for resident dj's that work the same shift at the same club every day?  But yes, besides the dj thing, its the other bits that should not be there.

We have to pay to list a classified ad, yet we can post a classified for free in the events calendar and propably get more exposure in doing so.  It just feels to me like LL comes up with a concept, but does not really think it through properly, they apply new ideas based on a perfect world scenario, when they should pay closer attention to Murphy's law, if a user can abuse a system, they will.  Surely there was a brianstorming session, a design meeting, some development, UAT etc. being done to bring this feature to light, what a shame that all those man hours and resources has been wasted, as it is now no longer being used for its intended purpose

I don't know if it's fair to limit what should or should not be considered an event.  Instead of complaining about those who use the calendar to their advantage, why not encourage more to use it?  There are many different inteterests in SL.   If more people used the events calendar, it would make it easier to see what's going on at any given time and then choose something.  I've always seen the events calendar as being an opportunity for a bit of free publicity.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

New product and sales are not events.

They might technically be an "event" in the sense that you have some news - but if that's what the events category is for in SL, Classifieds has no purpose and SL is now without any means of increasing social activity...

An Event is an event - what common ordinary folks would think of: Something you go to to be entertained and meet others.

Just start AR'ing anything in there that's nor a social gathering.

New product and sales are not events.

They might technically be an "event" in the sense that you have some news - but if that's what the events category is for in SL, Classifieds has no purpose and SL is now without any means of increasing social activity...

An Event is an event - what common ordinary folks would think of: Something you go to to be entertained and meet others.

Just start AR'ing anything in there that's nor a social gathering.

This is taken from the Event Posting Rules that one must adhere to in posting an event.

An event is defined as a special group activity that is led by a host on land owned either by the host or by a group the host belongs to. Examples include discussions, group meetings, hosted dances, classes, tours, and competitions.

An event is framed by a beginning and an end time. Thus '24hr Sales' are not events.

The 'Commercial' category was created for the purpose of grand openings, demonstrations, product launches etc. Each of these types of events should have a clear beginning and end time attached. Otherwise, they belong in the Second Life Classifieds, not the Events calendar. Posting events that are simply advertisements will not be acceptable.

/end quote

This is taken from the Event Posting Rules that one must adhere to in posting an event.

An event is defined as a special group activity that is led by a host on land owned either by the host or by a group the host belongs to. Examples include discussions, group meetings, hosted dances, classes, tours, and competitions.

An event is framed by a beginning and an end time. Thus '24hr Sales' are not events.

The 'Commercial' category was created for the purpose of grand openings, demonstrations, product launches etc. Each of these types of events should have a clear beginning and end time attached. Otherwise, they belong in the Second Life Classifieds, not the Events calendar. Posting events that are simply advertisements will not be acceptable.

/end quote

Luschious Nightfire wrote:

Is it just me, or has the events calendar become a classifieds add space?  It is being abused by many to the extent that it is becoming increasingly hard to find an actual event.  I may be wrong, but according to me a sale is not an event, maybe a yard sale.  A new dress for 69L$ is not an event, a DJ playing at a club is not an event, a club with a trivia ball and a 50K sploder is not an event, being invited to come naked to a nudist beach is not an event, these are business as usual.

What do you mean, become? :P  I joined SL initially in 2006 and it was just the same then. For the first two years the events listings were chock-full of yardsales.

I don't agree about a DJ'd event not being a real event. Most clubs are empty 20 hours a day or more, so it's nice to know when a DJ will actually be present and the club will be occupied.  Same for things like nudist clubs; if an event is posted you know there wil be someone there for a certain period of time. That, to me, is an event and I'd want to be notified if it was a venue I was interested in.

I do agree about the campers though. Nothing worse than going to a cub and finding it inhabited by only bots.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.