this is an off the question you just hear everyday...How can I will my avatar to someone when I die?

DevilDoll69

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just found out that I have cancer and I love my avi's so much..I put in so much work and dedication in my avi's appearences..I know that this is an odd question to ask...but Can I will my avatar to someone?

If anyone knows how I can please let me know

DevilDoll69 Resident

My SL partner was near death with her liver cancer and in need of a transplant.  She was very ill for some time and didn't look like she would make it when a miracle happened and they found a compatible liver donor.

She has everything assigned over to me and passed me most of her inventory but not her avi.  Upon her recovery, she now has a new lease on life and is fully immersed in RL now with almost no time for SL.  I miss her in SL but we stay in touch via email. Her avatar is not my partner, the person behind it is.

The point of my story is two fold...1. Don't ever give up...ever and 2. if and when that time comes, it will be YOU that is missed, not your avatar.

You may not transfer your account to another person while you are still alive. If you wish, you may
to someone else in your will.

Directly from this wiki page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Sharing_or_transferring_Second_Life_accounts

As for creating a will, I'm sure you can type "how to create a will" into a search engine and get instructions there. I'm not quite sure, myself. If you don't know already.

All that being said, many people survive cancer. I don't know your particular circumstances, but I wish you luck, and as has been said already, don't give up!

ETA: If you click "bequeath your account" in the linked statement above, you'll get more detailed information on how to go about that, and how the person to whom you wish to leave the account may claim it in the event of your death, as well as what they will need and what needs to be included in your will in order for them to claim the account.

This is actually against the ToS, if I recall correctly, and can get the account banned, unfortunately. Of course, the Lindens would have to know about it, but if they found out the account would be banned. (I believe they make the occasional exception, but it's rare, if I understand correctly.) My personal opinion is that it's your account, and you should be able to share your password as you see fit - accepting, of course, all responsiblity for the account being used for griefing or other malicious purposes, as well as any items stolen from the account. But the Lindens won't allow it, presumably due to liability in the case of the above-mentioned issues.

Yes I see how that could make sense for them, but on the other hand, your account is your account.

And if one decides to give someone your avatar, one should be able to.

Either way, a good idea to do this in adcance, think about who you would want to have your account, to keep your avatar going, to take care of business or to have your inventory, and tell the Lindens.

On the other hand;

"You may give another person access to your account, but you do so at your own risk; that is, if you share your account with someone else, you are responsible for what they do while using your account. "

The difference between sharing and transferring is very small and either way, very difficult for LL to even figure out.

I agree; if I give someone my account, it's my account to give. But in a lawsuit-happy world, I guess the Lindens have to cover their butts.

I also agree that the difference between sharing and transferring is quite small. My point is that the OP risks having the account shut down if the Lindens do somehow discover that she has transferred the account without going through the proper channels. Since the OP seems to be going out of her way to avoid having the account shut down or even become a dormant account, this may not be something she wants to risk.

ETA: I'm assuming "she" given the word "Doll" in the OP's name. Soemone please correct me if I'm mistaken ^_^

Jo Yardley wrote:

A simpler way of giving someone else your account would be to send them your password, or not?

That's against TOS.

I'd suggest to put it in your real life will that you want someone to have your account. Name that person. The lawyer can send the information to them later. Put it in your will that you want a letter sent to Second Life explaining everything and verifying your wishes and situation. I think that is what Linden Lab requires. I think everyone who has a strong presence in Second Life (any friends, businesses) should consider doing that. Then people can inquire what happened and Linden Lab can legally tell them whatever your letter says they can say.

But to the topic starter, I hope you get better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.