I need help changing my look.

xLolaSkye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You should have various looks, including outfits and hair, in your inventory, in "Library." These are the default items that everybody has when they first start.

For broader choices, try typing "freebie" in the inworld search and teleport to some of the places that come up. Look around, and buy what you like. You can also go to the marketplace, and set your filter for "$0-10L." Sort by "price - lowest to highest" to ensure the free items come up first. What will probably be most important to you, for starters, is apparel - women's, and avatar accessories - hair. Also look under "animations - animation override" to get rid of the newbie walk. You can find skins and shapes as well by looking under "avatar appearance."

Note: You have to choose a category, such as apparel or hair, before you can filter by price. If an item says "demo" in the title, don't buy it - it is what it says, a demo item, and will be somehow marked as a demo. Many $0L items will be demos, but many others will be actual free items.

Note 2: When buying from the marketplace, you may want to be inworld, and buy items one at a time. Otherwise they tend to get "lost" and never reach you. You'll also have to "unbox" marketplace items. Find an area that allows rezzing, and drag the item from your inventory to the ground. Right click, and select "open."

Extremely Noble wrote:

You should start with buying a skin, and then make your own shape or buy one.

Don't get all crazy with the buying yet. She's still figuring out how to change clothes. Once you find the hair in the library-which is quite nice, have a look in there at the rest of the goodies. You can probably put together an outfit or two that take a bit of the new off.

The library skins are not quite up to par though. Luckily, a lot of creators in SL have thought about new people and offer a ton of really nice free things to help get you started. Fabfree Station (you'll find it in search) is a wonderful shop with designer skins, hair, clothing, even a nice AO(Animation Override-goes a long way toward making you move more easily and naturally) and everything there is free. There are several other good free shops, but FabFree is just a great 'one-stop' to give yourself a quick makeover.

& Welcome-it gets much, much easier. :-)

There is a whole mall of freebies inworld..help me out here cause I cant remember what its called :matte-motes-crying: I found it by typing Freebie into the search, back when my search worked lol. There are lots of nice things to get started with there, hair, skins, shapes, clothes, everything.  Then type Sandbox into the search to find somewhere to open all your goodies. ^^  Have fun.

Hello. You have hair in your inventory. Wear one until to buy something better. No good to be bald. After that find a shape which you like. If you don't decide about shape at first, every time you will change your shape, you will have to fit your attachments from the beginning. After find a skin. About clothes, shoes and hair i think it is no difficult to find cheap ones or free / dollarbie also but combination may be. My suggestion is to try free stuff at first. A free product is no necessary no qualitative. Several merchants offer great stuff for free for promotional purposes. Use Marketplace for market research but prefer to buy in world visiting the stores. Often you find better prices there. "Build" your avatar slowly step by step.

UncommonTruth wrote:

There is a whole mall of freebies inworld..help me out here cause I cant remember what its called :matte-motes-crying: I found it by typing Freebie into the search,
back when my search worked lol.
There are lots of nice things to get started with there, hair, skins, shapes, clothes, everything.  Then type Sandbox into the search to find somewhere to open all your goodies. ^^  Have fun.

Now, now Uncommon...you have been around for about one month and you write 'back when my search worked'?  LOL  Come on!

UncommonTruth wrote:

There is a whole mall of freebies inworld..help me out here cause I cant remember what its called :matte-motes-crying: I found it by typing Freebie into the search, back when my search worked lol. There are lots of nice things to get started with there, hair, skins, shapes, clothes, everything.  
Then type Sandbox into the search to find somewhere to open all your goodies. ^^  Have fun.

That's another reason I recommend Fabfree-if you join their group you can open your boxes there. I forgot to mention NCI's freebie wall & The Free Dove-also excellent places to get started.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Now, now Uncommon...you have been around for about one month and you write 'back when my search worked'?  LOL  Come on!

Lol well yes! Back when my search worked :matte-motes-tongue: I had about a week of everything working, then poof! No search, no profiles, not home tab, no map, nothing. I've tried every suggestion I've seen posted to others, posted my problem on Answers, nothing helps. I have to keep my browser open and use the online tools to do anything lol. Three cheers for the marketplace, online profiles, and the apps showcase. ^^

UncommonTruth wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Lol well yes! Back when my search worked :matte-motes-tongue: I had about a week of everything working, then poof! No search, no profiles, not home tab, no map, nothing. I've tried every suggestion I've seen posted to others, posted my problem on Answers, nothing helps. I have to keep my browser open and use the online tools to do anything lol. Three cheers for the marketplace, online profiles, and the apps showcase. ^^

What??  When you look in your task manager of your OS, do you have an SLplugin running?

Venus Petrov wrote:

Use a different virus checker and reinstalling your viewer will correct it.

I''ve completely uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times. Twice trying other veiwers, the third going back to the plain ole second life vewier3 since the others didnt work anyways lol. Ok, now about the first thing..where would I find that to check for the pluggin?

UncommonTruth wrote:

I''ve completely uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times. Twice trying other veiwers, the third going back to the plain ole second life vewier3 since the others didnt work anyways lol. Ok, now about the first thing..where would I find that to check for the pluggin?

You seem to have a lot of time. What viewers have you been trying?

Assuming it's a Windows OS that you're using, control alt delete should bring up the task manager. Click on processes and you should see the plugin listed there when you have your SL viewer running.

Lol, you dont have to sit right with it as it does its installation thing. I tried a pheonix one, and a firestorm one, Those might not be exactly what they were called, I've slept since then. They were both recomended by people I had talked to inworld.I just looked, it shows the plugin. I've decided its just a symtom of my computers impending death.

Phoenix and Firestorm are the most popular. You might try radegast. Download it from radegast.org. Search definitely works with it. I used it today. It's a text-based viewer, so it doesn't require much in the way of computer resources.

Is your computer a desktop or a laptop? If it's a desktop, maybe you can install a new graphics card and extend it's life. I'm considering doing that with my computer. It doesn't appear to be very difficult to put in a new graphics card and cards are pretty cheap. It looks almost as easy as adding more memory. 

Since using Firestorm, I thought at first that search had stopped working for me. However, for some reason it opens as a closed window (if that makes sense) in the top left of my screen. It's hard to see and is easily missed. However, when I click the square to expand the window, I see the full search page.

Think of your avatar like a doll. Only it is a doll you can change the paint on. 

You will need new hair, eyes, skin, clothes, and shoes. You will need an "AO" or animation overrider so that you can walk and move more naturally.

The good news is there is a lot of stuff available for free that is just as good as what's sold full price. You just need to ask around to find it.

Have fun shopping. 

Venus Petrov wrote:

I am thinking the same thing, Kylie, because it happened to me.  You must have SLplugin.exe running on your computer.  Some virus checkers kill it or disable it.  Use a different virus checker and reinstalling your viewer will correct it.

That plugin is really weird for me...when I bog down, I immediately bring up the task manager...everytime I find I have a lot of those running all the time.  Have to manually stop them, then things in SL loads and I'm fine.  So now, it's a regular chore each time I log into the viewer to bring up the task manager and do my thing :(

Randall Ahren wrote:

UncommonTruth wrote:

You seem to have a lot of time. What viewers have you been trying?

Assuming it's a Windows OS that you're using, control alt delete should bring up the task manager. Click on processes and you should see the plugin listed there when you have your SL viewer running.

I have many of the same problems as Uncommon.  And, she is right Randall that it doesn't take "time" to download as one can do things in real life while stuff is downloading.

I'm still using V3, and no you cannot open profiles inworld, and the search works for me on V3 but it won't let me delete the first word I've typed in the search box and put in another word.   And, yes, my task manager shows the plugin. 

All I can suggest Uncommon is to run your Disk Cleanup as this will free up some of your hard drive space.  A lot of "space" is left when uninstalling/installing occurs.  To find your disk cleanup, follow this path:  All programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup, and run it.  It may take an hour or more depending on how often you have run your disk cleanup.  Also, SL works much better when I run disk cleanup after uninstall/reinstall.  Worth a try, Uncommon, as when I uninstalled Phoenix I had over 5 million kb worth of free space I could now free up.  With other viewers, the average free space has been about 19,000 kb, with Phoenix it was over 5 million! 

To the OP, to search for items in your library or inventory, simply type a word like 'hair' or 'eyes' or 'shirt' in your inventory's search bar and you will find lots to chose from in your library.   Marketplace is right here on this website (simply point cursor to shopping not forums) and open Marketplace, then click on "see all categories" as this will bring up your pricing menu so you can search for items from 0 to 10 lindens.  Some of the 0 items are demos, but demos are good too, and there are lots of items to chose from that are priced from 1 to 10 lindens on Marketplace. 

Speaking of the plugin...does anyone know a tip on how to stop all the processes from jumping around while viewing the task manager?  Sometimes I have 4 or 5 of the plugins running up & down the columns and makes it very hard to locate all and click on them...drives me nuts, lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.