Farewell, Mr. Jobs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think Steve Jobs was incorrect about this in his commencement speech at Stanford University: Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. 

Death is merely an engineering trade off. Consider automobiles for example. It is much cheaper to build a completely new automobile than it is to repair an old and worn out one. This is evident from how little damage it takes to total a car. The same is especially true for computers. It's much more costly to repair and rebuild an old one than to simply throw it out and replace it with a new one.

And so it with humans. Some items are considered irreplaceable, such as the CPU. When that goes, chuck the whole organism. Other items, you can get one replacement set, such as teeth to accommodate growth. Some items are considered wear items and are continually replaced, such as skin and hair, the equivalent of oil in a car or possibly tires.

The life span for most animals is one billion heart beats. Elephants live longer than mice, but mice have a very rapid heartbeat. The exception is primates and birds, they get about two billion heartbeats.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr.. Jobbs was indeed a visionary and excellent at product marketing. Very head strong and did what he wanted regardless of what others thought.

However from what I understand "Nice" would not be a word do describe him. From what I understand he was a tyrant to work for. I guess he often told people their ideas where stupid or dumb and would fire people on a whim.

I will give him credit though, if indeed it was his decision, when he came back to work for apple as CEO his yearly salary was 1 dollar a year. That has to be the least paid CEO ever. But he had just sold Pixar to disney and was on the disney board of directors and I guess one of the majority stock holders. So he probably wasn't hurting for cash. I think he just wanted his own business back and to get it running like he thought it should be.

He did do some amazing technological things in his life time though, just amazing things no one would have dreamed of.

And like some others, I have never owned an apple product. No Imac, no ipod and no i phone here. I did learn how to use computers on my buddies Apple II though.

I am sure he probably did lots of charity work and stuff I don't know about too. But I will remember him for being a marketing genius.

• 3 weeks later...

Mona Simpson wrote an eulogy for her brother, Steve Jobs. My favorite part:

His philosophy of aesthetics reminds me of a quote that went something like this: “Fashion is what seems beautiful now but looks ugly later; art can be ugly at first but it becomes beautiful later.

Steve always aspired to make beautiful later.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.