how can I pass an item from old avatar character to new one if it's not transferrable ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can't... hence the not transferable part.

...Dres

ETA: If it's something you'd rez inworld instead of wearing on your avatar, you can always have your old account rez it for your new account to use.  If you do that, remember to set it so that your new account has permission to edit your old account's objects.

madman626 Fall wrote:

If it mod`s you can get a cloning tool and copy it.

You can ultimately copy everything even if it isn't modifiable. The only problem is that this kind of cloning is a breach of the Second Life terms of service and can (as well as should) cost people their account.

It also results in a permanent ban of all alt accounts as well as an IP / hash ban of all PCs that the copyright infringer has ever logged in from. I'd strongly advise against "cloning", a.k.a. copybotting, even if you've paid for the item.

If it's no trans, you didn't buy the right to transfer it, you only obtained a license to use it on one specific account. Sharing with another account violates the law as well as the ToS.

If you think that your new avatar may some day become your old avatar, be sure to purchase things that are transferable.  That will make your job of moving things from one to the other easier.  However, it is a challenge to find things for sale that are transferable.  In many cases, you may need to ask the seller for a nocopy/transf version of the item.

Just for future reference.

f the object is so nice that you really want your new avatar to have it, show your appreciation to the creator & buy it again

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed "IF" I had an alt.. ahem.. and want something the old avi had would just buy it again..  Support the merchants..

Peewee Musytari wrote:

If the object is so nice that you really want your new avatar to have it, show your appreciation to the creator & buy it again
:)

That's another solution :) I find that copy+mod items offer a far greater value than transferable items, which are often not modifiable. For example, I can buy a pair of white shoes and tint them in any color, which saves a lot of money if you frequently change your look. If I want to use the same shoes on an alt, I'm more than willing to buy another copy. It's also much easier than trading transferable items back and forth between multiple accounts, always risking to lose them in the process.

Rowan Villiers wrote:

Yes, it is impossible under TOS, but I don't think it should be.  If there's some way to verify that your alt is indeed your alt- and if they can blanket ban all your alts surely this is possible- you ought to be able to transfer things to yourself.  Just my opinion.

I think so too. The problem is that it would be unwise for content creators to sell things with both copy and modify permission. By unchecking the transfer permission box, content creators sell their items with a license that is similar to a single user license of Windows or any other software product, which can only legally be installed on a single PC.

If there was a permission setting to allow the transfer a copyable item to an alt or another resident, while making sure that no copy of this item remains in the original owner's inventory, I'm sure that many content creators would enable this permission. I know that I would. But with the limited options of the current permission system, we're forced to make a choice, and the obvious choice for wearable items is copy+mod / no trans.

I understand that sometimes the expectations of things I have may sound simple to me, but that's because I have little or no knowledge of coding, website design, or anything like that xD  So I grumble along with most of the rest of the ignorant, but I sort of know I'm asking a lot more than it feels like.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.