Racist and defaming commentary in profile picks? What`s going on Linden Labs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK.

First let me say that this is my first ever post in secondlife forums. Forgive me if I seem noobish or anything along the lines.

My problem is like the topic name indicated; recently I have been the target of racist commentary along with defaming from a person in profile picks. This person made a whole pick for me (and a few others as well both my friends) to defame me with some absurd information or story she created from her mind mixed with racism which included defaming and insults. (editted to remove the commentary I am afraid if my stalker can read here and be more dangerous than she is already)

I know that by TOS and community standarts everyone agress to not stalk (as you can guess she has been also stalking us for over a year now;sending notecards full of insults and flammotary comments every now and then), harass and defame other residents. This has not been the first time this person was out of line and I did send a bunch of abuse reports before but it seems Linden Labs are doing absouletly nothing about this. If it was personal conversations I could mute the said person without any problem but when it comes to public profile picks ; there is nothing  a person can do but turn a blind eye after sending an abuse report.

Question is; the comment before I posted is not enough for LL to take action? What is the bottom line? Is public slandering in profiles are not worth attention because they could be considered as argument between residents? But when it is this openly racist and involves Real Life information as well does LL thinks of stopping these type of people?

I guess this can be considered as a rant as well; but I am frustrated and confused also even thinking of talking to an internet lawyer and seek help... This type of things only make secondlife lose residents-customers-money-reputation.

What do you guys think about this? Or did you ever have an experience close to this and what happened?

Thank you.

If someone is harrassing you by naming you in their profile picks...then file an abuse report.  Include a screenshot, and make sure to list what that person is actually posting in their profile.  (quote them in the abuse report) 

Also, please do note that when I see something like that in a profile...I do not have a high opinion of the person who's profile has this sort of defamation posted. 

So, the person doing *this* is really just trashing their own reputation by particpating in such tasteless emotionally immature harrassment.   It doesn't make *you* look bad....it makes *them* look bad.

Well I have been in the same place has you for last year,, good luck with Your AR but truth, I know I prolly going to get jump on for this, there times When A s***ing AR wont do any good ,, and if you get so lucky to get these A@@ ban well guess what they come back with a alt so you got 2 things you can do fight back or leave sl I don't care what anyone say about ARing ppl it just don't work most the time. And if didt why then these stalkers and bullies  still on sl giving us hell well guess what that how LL work you could know better then to believe anything LL say n do . But I do still have a lil faith but it running down very fast .

Madman I can't blame you for not having much faith in LL but, as someone who's seen this kind of thing many times over the years, I can tell you that LL do take harassment, intolerance, hate speech and the like very seriously and WILL investigate and act against the offending person.

Encouraging victims to "fight back" (by means other than an AR) will only get them ARed and possibly booted rather than the moron perpetrator.

Then we back to why they still here then ? If they do take it seriously ,, like I said you got 2 thing to do I didt say fight back  by breaking the tos ,, but I would  like to make a point with it they are and they still here . So telling me that wont work with me. I know better because it the thruth.

i've been in a situation where someone had a full on for me to the point they were using every media they could think of to come at me..

comments on my flickr and in their profile and in group notices reaching huge amounts of people..

i was at the point where i thought of fighting back and sticking up for myself..

then it hit me to just let my reputation speak for me..who wished to believe all that crap could believe it for all i cared..

i felt that sooner or later truth would come out on it's own and also that the path this person was heading down they would be seen for who they really were..

so i just didn't do anything at all but AR when i seen something  and acted as if i was out of the loop on what this other person was doing to me..

Ceka!! they put another bla bla bla about you in their profile again..

Me : Who cares? i don't care..do you care? it'll pass..now where were we? oh ya ..the hair fair is this weekend wanna go?

the people that counted stood by me..and a lot of people  ended up saying sorry for believing this other person..

it didn't happen over night..it took awhile..but they did self distruct and for a long time after people kept iming me about it and telling me about this othr person and  how they had fooled them and how thye couldn't believe they didn't see it..

i would just say..hey she was good at  that kind of game don't beat yourself up about it..then would just change the subject..

the person had a lot of bad come on them after all of it..even rl bad things..i remember one person getting them in court and  them getting sued for a good amount of money..

thier sl business went down the drain..and they pretty much were tossed out of the circle of places i went to that i don't go to like i used to back then..

sometimes doing nothing at all can be a pretty powerful thing..

as i said ..all i did was AR when i seen something..that led to a few bans...and then just ignored the rest and let the cards fall where they landed..

these people want reactions from us..giving them reactions fuels their fire..plus just makes us look as bad as them or puts truth or to what they say or casts doubt on us..because we have entered the game with them..

outsmart them at their own game by not plaing it..

Thank you everyone that replied.

I took all your advice seriously and filed my abuse reports.

In the end I decided to keep it only that; it is very true what most said. These type of commentary in profiles only makes the person look jealous and bad instead of the person who was deflamed.

before I Ar`d another person with all I had and 3 hours after I send my reports he was banned. I guess my thinking was -and still is to a degree- that Linden Labs didn`t take this one serious enough to act fast on it even though it is actually more serious with intolerance and real life info disclosure.Anyway  I can only hope they are still investigating or nothing is going to happen and secondlife is going to lose more reputation cause these things being overlooked. Who wants to come here when they can be harassed cause people think they can get away with anything they do by hiding behind the computer of screen.

I've seen them TP in the moment I hit submit and I've seen them take 2 months. I've yet to figure out what reasons it goes one way or the other.

The only pattern I have seen is that the more people who all file on the same thing at the same time, the greater the odds one of them will trigger the instant response... :)

But various forum / blog posts also show that if this is done over something the mass of people are not 100% certain is a ToS violation, it can cause them to end up in a 'dead zone' with regards to support.

• 4 months later...

----------

If someone is harassing you by naming you in their profile picks...then file an abuse report.  Include a screenshot, and make sure to list what that person is actually posting in their profile.  (quote them in the abuse report)

-----------

I have a friend who is having a similar problem.  So how the heck do you file Abuse Report on a profile?  There is no way that I can see to click on it to report it as being abusive.  :matte-motes-frown:

Some help would be most welcomed.  THANKS!

franklincoln wrote:

----------

If someone is harassing you by naming you in their profile picks...then file an abuse report.  Include a screenshot, and make sure to list what that person is actually posting in their profile.  (quote them in the abuse report)

-----------

I have a friend who is having a similar problem.  So how the heck do you file Abuse Report on a profile?  There is no way that I can see to click on it to report it as being abusive.  :matte-motes-frown:

Some help would be most welcomed.  THANKS!

open the profile then go to the section of the profile that you are wanting to AR...then go to the menu up top and click help..

then choose report abuse option..

then also choose "include snapshot" and it should take a picture of the profile page you have open..also type whatever comments you may have..

but try to keep it to details and not drama..because they will just ignore the drama and look to the details..

open the profile then go to the section of the profile that you are wanting to AR...then go to the menu up top and click help..

then choose report abuse option..

then also choose "include snapshot" and it should take a picture of the profile page you have open..also type whatever comments you may have..

but try to keep it to details and not drama..because they will just ignore the drama and look to the details.

...........................................................................................

Thank you much!  This was *exactly* the information I needed.  Good for you!  *thumbs up*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.