is there anyway to keep people away from the sky?

Locke Nider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I second Ceres' suggestion.  I live on mainland right next to a mall popular with newbies and, to maintain some modicum of privacy when I want it, I have an orb above my beach house.  It is pretty effective.  Of course, there is a 'friends' list on it so you can allow others to visit.

Aside from Security Orbs (which btw work great) you can also:

Restrict Scripts (disabling flight scripts)

Turn off the ability to Fly

Restrict land access to groups

Buy a Sim Scanner and set up alerts when anyone enters a high area

These don't always play well within what you are doing on your sim and as such, the security orb is the least obtrusive option.  Just make sure you don't tp the users home. A push is far more civilized.

Eep!  Please do not try to use parcel access controls to solve a problem at 2000m.

Whitelist bans (such as allowing entry only to a group or to specific individuals) only extends 50m Above Ground Level.

Even blacklist bans (specifying individuals who cannot enter) are only effective to 768m AGL.

To have any effect at that height, you'll need some sort of scripted device (a security "orb", scanner, whatever).

Also, setting no-flying has no effect on neighboring parcels, so would only affect those who come to your parcel and fly straight up.  (And even then, only the ones who don't know the easy "loophole" for that.)

No-script has almost no effect on anything because scripted attachments routinely call llTakeControls() so they can keep working through no-script areas.  I mean, it's so common that it's rare not to do that.

[EDIT: Re-read the OP and this is a private full sim.  I was responding as if it were about the Mainland -- the forum where it's posted.  There are Estate-level access controls available for private sims, although I believe they affect all regions in the Estate.]

Not sure what the problem is -- you can't exactly see 'em way up at 2000 meters if you're down on the ground.  Just curious how this is creating an issue for you, unless your sim is jam-packed full of avatars already, or the campers have a ton of scripts and it's lagging your sim.  Have you tried IM'ing them to find out why they like to hang out on your land...er...sky?

Other than the stuff other folks have suggested (though I'm not a big fan of the "LEAVE IN TEN SECONDS OR GET TP'D HOME N00B!" orbs), you could make a giant transparent megaprim -- kinda like a giant panel of glass for the birds to bump into.

Great.  Now I'm gonna hear from PETA lol

Rabid Cheetah wrote:

Not sure what the problem is -- you can't exactly see 'em way up at 2000 meters if you're down on the ground.  Just curious how this is creating an issue for you, unless your sim is jam-packed full of avatars already, or the campers have a ton of scripts and it's lagging your sim.  Have you tried IM'ing them to find out why they like to hang out on your land...er...sky?

Most of the builds and items are in the sky 1000 meters or above.  There isn't anything on the ground really except grass.  :P  Kind of annoying when I'm fooling around with building and there is someone floating not too far from where I am.   I know things like banlines can be a pain for problem who travel though mainlands sims, which is the reason why my land is near the corner of the of the map, were no one needs to fly though since there is no land to the east or north.

Anyway, I could try these security orbs out.  How far can they detect someone?

Locke Nider wrote:

Anyway, I could try these security orbs out.  How far can they detect someone?

An individual sensor can at most detect 96m in all directions, but if you shop around for these orbs you'll find that you can set some of them to monitor pretty much any volume you desire.  They generally do this by spawning some number of remote detectors that flit around the secured volume, sensing at different points.  This moving around isn't as expensive as it sounds, but running multiple sensors all the time has (a bit) more lag impact.

If your sim has a landing point set, then there are other options.  The full-sim megaprim height barrier is one I'd never before considered, but I can see it might be effective for not overly determined intruders.  At the very least, it should be able to detect a collision.  Another idea might be to replace sensor-based detection with collision at the landing point, and then tracking the visitors with llGetObjectDetails() to make sure they're not getting close to the area you want to keep private.

One possibly relevant upcoming development, just released on the BlueSteel RC channel, is limiting visibility within a parcel.  I believe this has effect at any altitude, so if one could carve out a parcel where you want privacy (on the ground as well as the sky), and if other measures keep intruders from entering this parcel, one can be assured that visitors won't see what's happening inside, and you won't have to see them, either.  (I haven't played with this, beyond setting it briefly on one of my parcels in a BlueSteel region.)

Of the options mentioned above, getting a mid-range or better security orb is the only option that will work. I'll recommend a couple options if you want to IM me.  The megaprim idea is trival to defeat. 

• Like 1

Why are they there?  Do you have really attractive sky on your sim? lol At least they are getting you traffic :)

An orb with a 100m range in every direction should keep them away from you. You can set a landing point on the ground and restrict flying, but there are ways around that.

Have you tried asking them why they are there?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.