New My Second Life profiles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks to a private informer I will call just W I have discovered these new web profiles, they seem like a kind of FB or Twatter.. Anybody else has tried it? By the name its only a demo so i guess it still lacks features, I would like something more close to FB where you could upload photos, know what your friends are doing, etc. And all of this integrated In-world,of course (seems you can already do that but i dont know how..).

Are you referring to web profiles? Viewer 2 features web profiles, but that can also be accessed outside of the Second Life viewer from the web browser (IE, Firefox, Oprea, Chrome, Safari). And at one time, I access it on my iPad. I know it can be accessed by the URL h t t p s : / / m y . s e c o n d l i f e . c o m / (firstname) . (lastname) or h t t p s : / / m y . s e c o n d l i f e . c o m / (username) (eg for mine: https://my.secondlife.com/elite.runner )

I saw a link to these in another forum. I'm tentatively impressed, as I've long said LL should push much harder to make profiles a social tool that brings people together in SL and makes it easier for people to get invested in SL through the people they meet.

So far the new "Social Profiles" seem very basic, but it's a start. I'm hoping you can eventually use these to hold conversations with people even when one or both of you are not in SL, maybe create "Social Circles" similar to Google+, and maqybe tie profiles closer to land and groups. Like maybe in addition to listing your groups you can also list land you own, or estates you manage, or land owned by groups you're in. With, of course, the option to hide any of these for privacy reasons.

Maybe LL could introduce a "postcard" feature that lets you have a separate "wall" where you can post screenshots with a short description and an link that lets visitors to your profile see the places you've been?

Maybe for the groups you show or land picks in your profile you also see events being hosted by those groups or under that land, as well as events tyou yourself have posted. Could do the same for the "postcard" feature I mentioned, list upcoming events for that location along with everything else.

There's really just so much LL could be doing with profiles.

Well once again - not good to post too much info on the web.

The RL part of your profile - don't be slapping your FB or RL photos.

Bringing SL'ers together? OH BOY! MORE people on my friend list that I never hear from til I delete them! How exciting!

As far as bringing more people into SL, well of course LL wants to do that. The entire web world sees how big FB got and everyone wants a piece of the pie.

As far as RL people know I play on SL, it is kind of my dirty little secret. I can just see them "googling" SL and the first thing they run into is another story about someone caught age-playing.

The problem with all this new web culture, "connecting with people" or whatever is -

in the real world, people want friends and a social life yet they don't want to step away from the computer to do so. It is like, "Oh I want a social life, but I don't want to go anywhere but my house"

https://my-demo.secondlife.com/willow.danube

I thought it was cool too but not sure how far you could go by the Feed tab and if you can communicate off-world to in-world. There isn't a general placement/section where you could see live Feed from everyone on Second Life although you do have the ability to let anyone to post messages on your Feed Tab.

You can receive Notification via email or In-world. You have Love and Unlove button and any URL will be linked automatically. I'm not sure about the character limits. I thought I could write a novel in there but maybe not.

Your FB, Twitter, Flickr, Plurk. Linkdin, Youtube account can now be linked directly. Sadly, you still can't have multiple partners.

I'm hoping this is a very early work in progress with a lot of changes coming. My biggest worry is that LL will continue to chase the Facebook bandwagon in vain rather than actually improve their own product in ways that actually matter and really will draw more people into SL.

No one cares about connecting to Facebook and Twitter, people who use, or will use, SL need better tools to connect to other SL users, SL events, and SL locations. Not twitter feeds and Facebook accounts.

Penny Patton wrote:

Keli Kyrie wrote:

Sleeping since Valentine's Day?

This is why it's a good idea to read the comments before posting.
xD

No, he's not talking about the web profiles we've had since 2.5.

Sorry about that but when I first clicked on your link it showed me the old profile. Now it shows the new one. dkw :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

some people care about connecting their profiles to Facebook, Flickr, and every entity possible on the web, they just have to have it all.

Facebook bring us some advantages, the posts stream is a good idea, unfortunately, Facebook played with our data, irrespective of our needs for privacy, and that leaved a scar on many people that think that a data streaming service is an invasion of privacy.

i see this move, creating our own stream of data as a separation of Linden Lab from Facebook, if Facebook dont want to provide us with the service, we can have our own, and inworld, if some people see advantage in a data streaming service for their clients and friends, they dont have to have a Facebook account, where their data can be in danger. for those who still prefer to have a Facebook account, they can do so.

if Linden Lab denies them that because some dont want to use a data streaming service it would be unfair to them, why taking off a feature because some users dont use it?

yes, the data streaming service is going to be inworld, or it can be managed offworld is you wish too, in case you dont want to log just to add a post.

its in demo stage, pre-alpha, and its working. i guess more features like adding videos and pictures is going to be added, and some other ideas that may come out from resident feedback in the future.

Linden Lab is going to give us privacy controls to define who can see what posts and who cant. its going to be very improved, better than Facebook, because Linden Lab listens more to their customers than Facebook.

Cio Koba wrote:

Thanks to a private informer I will call just W I have discovered these new web profiles, they seem like a kind of FB or Twatter.. Anybody else has tried it? By the name its only a demo so i guess it still lacks features, I would like something more close to FB where you could upload photos, know what your friends are doing, etc. And all of this integrated In-world,of course (seems you can already do that but i dont know how..).

I've been using them for a week or so. They're pretty good, though there are some features I want to see added in, and some modifications to the default settings on privacy and notifications.

It's all public knowledge. No need for the cloak and dagger stuff. ;-)

http://my-demo.secondlife.com/marianne.mccann

*Expect* your profile/picks/groups data to be incorrect or outdated. This is currently on the Aditi (beta grid) copy of the database. 

Bear in mind a few things...

1. It is not connected to Facebook, Twitter, etc. It may eventually have ways you can auto update to these services *if you choose to.* It will not be a mandatory part of the profiles. You can also display links to other social entites, but again, it is not a requirement.

2. It will have a 'geolocation' feature. That is, posts to the feed done while inworld will tag your location It will be turn-offable when you make your post. I personally hope that make it opt in versus opt out, even though I am liable to use it frequently.

3. You can protect your wall. Currently it defaults to only be accessible to Second Lifers (good) but under privacy tou can set it to only be used by friends (better).

There's an entry about the new profiles in the latest LL blog post:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/July-Update/ba-p/964435

Also some interesting analysis on these new 'social profiles' here along with more discussion in the comments:

http://modemworld.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/web-profiles-major-updates-ahead/

As for that previous image from Blot - looks like some third party ning site that someone created trying to pigy back of the Second Life name. Also looks like it's been taken down.

Once again, I think LL doesnt anounce things properly but well, this profiles seem good and will get better with time Im sure. As Penny said rather than copying other social media what they should do is tailor it to SLers needs, Im sure they will try their best to do it like that.

Thanks Suella for the links specially the Blog by Inara Pey, it was informative and a good read for people that are a bit lost with this new profiles. Also Canoro knows alot about the new features it will include and has explained it rather well.

@Marianne, I was surprised, now I see, this profiles are now running at the Aditi grid. Will they be updated once LL moves them to Agni?

Here is MySL 

Canoro Philipp wrote:

some people care about connecting their profiles to Facebook, Flickr, and every entity possible on the web, they just have to have it all.

Facebook bring us some advantages, the posts stream is a good idea, unfortunately, Facebook played with our data, irrespective of our needs for privacy, and that leaved a scar on many people that think that a data streaming service is an invasion of privacy.

i see this move, creating our own stream of data as a separation of Linden Lab from Facebook, if Facebook dont want to provide us with the service, we can have our own, and inworld, if some people see advantage in a data streaming service for their clients and friends, they dont have to have a Facebook account, where their data can be in danger. for those who still prefer to have a Facebook account, they can do so.

if Linden Lab denies them that because some dont want to use a data streaming service it would be unfair to them, why taking off a feature because some users dont use it?

You're right. I was painting with a broad brush stroke there. Still, SL's strength is as an entertainment venue. Looking at people's profiles we see a very significant portion of SL's users take a "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" approach, and regardless developing SL's in-world social tools would be a boon to both LL and the residents. I'm hoping LL isn't blind to that, they've been chasing the Facebook dream for a while now and it has not been working out well for them or us.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.