Political Billboards on Mainland

6 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Definitely would not go over well.. I mean, the entire point of Bellisseria is for us to raise mole babbys!

giphy.gif

Bleh, image for video is not implied for anyone here at all.  I just liked the movie, and see parallels with Bellisseria that I find humorous.

That movie was creepy, scary, and a little disappointing (I was left wanting more, and disappointed at the "hero's" demise)! (Great combo for a movie.)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That movie was creepy, scary, and a little disappointing (I was left wanting more, and disappointed at the "hero's" demise)! (Great combo for a movie.)

Sometimes I think it would be nice if we went back to a much simpler time..

hehehe

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

From the sound of it, some things aren't allowed to be advertised at all..

If one were a big Primus fan, and put up a picture related to the Primus song "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver":

- Would that be considered an "Advertisement", merely because you expressed your love of Primus's music?

- Would it be considered "Adult Content" because of the double-entendres in the song?

image.jpeg.f54c73d8f2802c48e61e9a90437b8d95.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

From the sound of it, some things aren't allowed to be advertised at all.

Here lies the ambiguity... (from https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers)

"ad farm" means advertising or content intended solely to drive an unreasonable price for the land parcel it is on, usually by spoiling the nearby visual environment for others. Advertisements themselves are not prohibited; Legitimate advertising or using small parcels for promoting events or stores is allowed. But when advertising crosses the line into harassing behavior or "visual spam," and the intent is purely to compel another Resident to pay an unreasonable price to restore their view, it violates the harassment policy in the Community Standards. Although difficult to define exactly when advertising crosses this line, the intent is to be as consistent as possible and Linden Lab will remove offending content that is reported.

So Linden Lab appears to be concerned with the intent of advertiser. They take action if they have evidence that the intent is to drive down the price of the land.

I speculate that Linden Lab will not prohibit "political" expression (via TOS language) on mainland because that might open a can of worms. Rather, they might take action on specific ARs when they deem that some situation has escalated into griefing or harassment territory. But who knows?

• Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I think I saw Jason Momoa in that film clip...

I've been watching this movie every night to go to sleep to.. It's a really good movie..

The guy that played the first Hellboy is one of them.. He's really good in it.. All the main characters are really good and believable. I love that there is so speaking other than the language they came up with for the movie along with some Inuit.. It's mostly body language and expressions and a lot of funny parts too..hehehe

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Definitely would not go over well.. I mean, the entire point of Bellisseria is for us to raise mole babbys!

giphy.gif

Bleh, image for video is not implied for anyone here at all.  I just liked the movie, and see parallels with Bellisseria that I find humorous.

At least they had a yard...unlike these city beehives!......

apartment beehive.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diamond Marchant said:

Here lies the ambiguity... (from https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers)

So Linden Lab appears to be concerned with the intent of advertiser. They take action if they have evidence that the intent is to drive down the price of the land.

I speculate that Linden Lab will not prohibit "political" expression (via TOS language) on mainland because that might open a can of worms. Rather, they might take action on specific ARs when they deem that some situation has escalated into griefing or harassment territory. But who knows?

I think this is largely correct, but 4 years ago the intent was also pretty clearly to prevent SL from becoming a visual battleground in the run up to the 2020 election.

I suspect that general "Yay our side" signage is likely fine, but pro-Trump or pro-Harris signs less so. Again, though, it might depend upon context.

And, unless I've missed it, it's also true that LL has not said anything about this since 2020.

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

apartment beehive.jpg

And the weird thing about those, and why I could never wrap my head around why anyone would pay big $$$ for them.. is that they only secure an XYZ space location, barely own the carpets and paint and wood inside of them, they own nothing else. Add strata kind of thing, now they will have rules that make them live like renters, like "No visitors after 11pm (they'll ticket cars in parking spots after 11pm), certain type of curtains used in the windows, and even up to 'no smoking on balconies', and the usual 'don't make noise to disturb neighbours'.

One apartment I house sat for 3 months also charged for parking as an extra cost.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think this is largely correct, but 4 years ago the intent was also pretty clearly to prevent SL from becoming a visual battleground in the run up to the 2020 election.

I suspect that general "Yay our side" signage is likely fine, but pro-Trump or pro-Harris signs less so. Again, though, it might depend upon context.

And, unless I've missed it, it's also true that LL has not said anything about this since 2020.

I'd prefer a non-tattle taling more tolerant past SL I remember, but people didn't start suffering AR's and such as much until up to 2020 for sure, when some just didn't like ONE political side. The OTHER was quite fine by people, and noone AR'd them.

SL has become almost surreal, for all the people trying to turn SL in RL complete with all the rules and etiquette, the RL equivalent of ARing someone over a sign in the neighbour's yard would be calling the cops "My neighbour is harassing me with Trump signs! I can look out my kitchen window and see it and it's making me very upset!"

Edited by Cynite00
  • Haha 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

apartment beehive.jpg

I've actually been considering moving lately, I've been weighing in the pros vs cons of condos, I do enjoy my house, but the location is horrible, and the maintenance is getting a bit burdensome.  I would like something near the beach, with decent infrastructure so I don't have to drive everywhere.  Where I live now, is just suburbs, it is like a literal Vivarium, just house after house, with a few chain stores here and there, some churches, and that is about it.. stretching on for miles.

shutterstock_89808568.0.jpg

I was looking at some in St. Petersburg, it is such a lovely spot with lots to do.

960x0.jpg

🥰😍

Where I am currently living, it is just stucco home after stucco home, it is so bland.. 🤮🤮 Not many political signs here though, not that there are any rules against it.  I think people around here have just had enough of the fanatics, thankfully, it was horrible in 2016 and 2020, completely different now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cynite00 said:

I'd prefer a non-tattle taling more tolerant past SL I remember, but people didn't start suffering AR's and such as much until up to 2020 for sure, when some just didn't like ONE political side. The OTHER was quite fine by people, and noone AR'd them.

I'd changed my forum photo to Kamala about a month ago, and was chatting to Istel about different types of flour due to our Keto concerns (wheat flour being high in carbs), and so mentioned not liking almond flour (too gritty), and not liking coconut flour (as everything constantly tastes like coconut) and how I'd tried this 'weird' flour that made me ill (it was a flour nobody has likely heard of and I was allergic).  Someone messaged me and said they knew it was political trolling  LOL -- like these flours were some kind of code for political stuff.  It truly is crazy-time in the US during elections.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The main reason I was wondering mostly and thinking  it is so, is because they show those  rules down lower in the page as advertising rules.

I mean are these the only advertising rules we have for mainland?

I would think since it say's any - No more than one advertisement is permitted by any single individual or organization (whether through a personal account or a group account) in any single region.

Then goes on to say

In addition, advertisements must comply with these requirements:

So if I'm an individual with just one  chunk of land and throw up an add.. I'm wondering how I can get away with not having to comply with those things, but some person with a chunk in the same region and a chunk in another can't get away with it?

hehehe

We individuals with just one chunk of land have our loop hole?

hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'd changed my forum photo to Kamala about a month ago, and was chatting to Istel about different types of flour due to our Keto concerns (wheat flour being high in carbs), and so mentioned not liking almond flour (too gritty), and not liking coconut flour (as everything constantly tastes like coconut) and how I'd tried this 'weird' flour that made me ill (it was a flour nobody has likely heard of and I was allergic).  Someone messaged me and said they knew it was political trolling  LOL -- like these flours were some kind of code for political stuff.  It truly is crazy-time in the US during elections.

Big flour has their talons gripped tightly on the political system, people need to know! 🤣

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

the maintenance is getting a bit burdensome

Same here...I need a new roof...my AC isn't working...a water line needs repairing...and more.  I imagine moving to an apartment where somebody else has to maintain the place. But then I hear of negligent landlords who won't fix things  :(   What to do..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

was looking at some in St. Petersburg, it is such a lovely spot with lots to do.

Florida? I'm essentially in St. Pete (next door, unincorporated Pinellas County).

(Sorry if I don't recognize the picture, The Pier has changed too much.)

Edited by Love Zhaoying

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Then goes on to say

In addition, advertisements must comply with these requirements:

So if I'm an individual with just one  chunk of land and throw up an add.. I'm wondering how I can get away with not having to comply with those things, but some person with a chunk in the same region and a chunk in another can't get away with it?

Yeah, this is sort of the point I made above. The "In addition" stuff almost certainly does not apply only to ad farms, as ad farms are banned anyway.

To quote myself, if you think that the "In addition" stuff applies only to ad farms, then all of the following would be permissible on a single, unnetworked parcel. And I'm pretty sure that's not the intent of these rules:

58 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Are you arguing that it IS ok to have a sign that is "floating," extended more than 8m from the ground, contains "rotating or flashing content and ... particles," dispenses "unsolicited IMs, note cards, landmarks or content," and emits "light sources or glow," so long as it's not on a networked ad farm?

This is why it is ambiguous.

• Like 3

IMHO, some of questions coming up about "ads" and "ad farms" are probably addressed by interpreting the TOS according to the "spirit" and not the "letter".

Example: 1 single ad does not an "ad farm" make, but if that 1 ad is against the general rules for any individual "ad" in the community (or the rules for ads in any "ad farm"), then that ad is probably against the TOS.

19 minutes ago, Cynite00 said:

In general I agree -- I think it's better to veer on the side of free expression, even if it is unpleasant. I'd make exceptions to what we might loosely call "hate speech," but I'd set the bar on that pretty high -- incitement to violence and so forth.

As it is, as you wryly(?) noted above, the fuzziness of "the political" inevitably results in a great deal of inconsistency. 

I have two of these flags hanging from my SLRR platform on my parcel. Are they political?

Yes, of course they are. I wouldn't feel it necessary to put them out if they weren't.

RainbowFlagBlank.thumb.png.20e247e0c01cbed7631d65075c46a68a.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have two of these flags hanging from my SLRR platform on my parcel. Are they political?

Yes, of course they are. I wouldn't feel it necessary to put them out if they weren't.

Something can be "expressing personal freedom, and/or personal identity" without being "political".

Again, back to the "spirit" of the TOS:  I believe "political" is intended in the context of referring to literal POLITICS: parties, candidates, issues.

I strongly encourage you to consider the point of view that if a "Pride Flag" is considered "political" - then that will be used AGAINST those who wish to fly a "Pride Flag". 

Restated: I think mostly people who "don't like Pride flags" will consider them "political".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2