Security Orb help...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have heard there are security orbs available that will not allow people to cam into your home.  When they try and cam it moves their camera away.  Does anyone know if this is true and the name of the company selling them?

Also, just for basic security orbs, which have you found to be the best?  Most effective?  Most user friendly?

Thanks!

No such thing a camera protection in a device. Camera protection is best achieved by putting the places you want private at a location very high in the sky not being used by anyone else within 500m. Above 1000m in height is ideal for this.

I use the Hippo brand security Orb. Like most such orbs you have to be careul near sim edges - if you use a system to limit its effects to just your parcel it will still spam people in the adjacent sim if within its overall range - it just can't do anything to them but spam text messages at them endlessly.

But I like it for being highly confirable and copy - so I can set up multiples. That said at present I've got them mostly turned off.

The second best security device is called none.

No banlines and no spammy devices. If you have banlines and spammy devices it -ENCOURAGES- people to snoop around. If you lack them, people pay you little attention.

Banlines pretty much ensure somebody will hassle you - they're an invitation.

I've never heard of the sort of thing you're talking about, but then, I haven't looked for one, either. If someone wants to cam into our home, I hope they enjoy the show. :smileyvery-happy:

I bought a basic security orb from Thomas Conover and it was quite easy to set up. 

Hi, later, probably in a few weeks, there will be a new server feature that lets us make avatars and the objects they are sitting on invisible across parcel lines. It works both ways, people outside will be invisible too. This will not hide us from the map or hide the stuff inside houses, but it should be enough to defeat peeping toms.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Just as long as that "feature" is not on by default. I'd hate to have to avoid sitting on anything ever again.
;)

It is a parcel flag and off by default. The setting will affect all viewers, but a future viewer will be needed to enable it.

Phil Deakins has a store inworld that sells a security orb thats remarkably easy to set up & effective, I think last time I bought a couple they were only 125L each. Look up his profile and tp in, they were on the stairs leading up to the outside furniture & kitchen dept (last time I looked anyway)

Thank you for the plug, Faithless :) It's still halfway up the ramp to the upper floor.

FTI, it doesn't plague people in the next sim with warnings when placed near the sim boundary. It did initially because I was unaware of the problem, but I fixed it soon after I'd released it. I remember it well because a customer told me about it and I was there checking it when I was suddenly in an earthquake - a very mild one though but I'd never been in an earthquake before. They are very uncommon here in the UK.

• 8 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.