Shop and Hop, an all the useless no modify gifts.

Perhaps it is just perspective, but hubby and I have thought this has been one of the best Shop N Hops we've been to. It has been lots of fun going around and well...shopping. I get so happy when I see old time stores I've shopped at for years take part.

The gifts are a generous added bonus. There were some I really was thrilled about and others I have no use for, but they were gifts. I like to think the time and thought that went behind those gifts are appreciated at the least even if the item may not be useful to some. What isn't useful to some will be useful to others.

I'm just thankful creators made the time and effort to put gifts out. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

The gifts are a generous added bonus. There were some I really was thrilled about and others I have no use for, but they were gifts. I like to think the time and thought that went behind those gifts are appreciated at the least even if the item may not be useful to some. What isn't useful to some will be useful to others.

I'm just thankful creators made the time and effort to put gifts out. 🤷‍♀️

Yes, there are some people who really appreciate them, especially those who don't spend money in SL and rely on freebies. I don't pick up gifts 90% of the time because I don't need them, but it increases my sense of goodwill to a creator when they offer them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2024 at 10:02 AM, Qie Niangao said:

That's weird because I remember thinking it was no-mod when I unboxed it, so I went back to get a new copy and check. Turns out it is—and always was—Modify, but it contains one link that is only 0.01 in its Y dimension, which prevents it from shrinking further without some Build Tool surgery. (I remember this particular case because it's one of very few gifts I bothered to pick up, and mostly because the original FabFree spreadsheet had a different item listed as a gift at this store.)

Ironically, in this particular case being Mod didn't much matter to me because I was only planning to strip out the animations and props for use in better, lower LI sinks. If one liked the look of the sink, it should be possible to shrink the LI by one just by using the standard AVsitter utility "AVpos-shifter" to move all the scripts and animations to any of the other links (preferably the root) and just delete the otherwise useless link where they are now. (Another LI would be reduced by removing the AVsitter adjuster script and a script that interoperates with some male attachments, which may or may not be what you want in your sink.)

There are other minor AVsitter-related packaging permissions errors here, too, but they don't really affect anything, and that's maybe already too much looking a gift horse in the mouth. It has a few nice anims by Abramelin Wolfe that somehow I hadn't collected before, and reasonable copy/trans props, so it's a good gift.

I am.... surprised. I could modify it, the "0.01 in its Y dimention" wasn't an issue at all. I just selected the separate parts, and edited them. It is very few parts, the sink, the cabinet and faucet is one mesh object, I could manipulate the size just as I wanted. Same with the other parts.

It show as no mod when I unpacked it. Everything with a script in it show as no mod, because the script is no mod. Something I can understand, a mod script can everybody in SL copy and sell as their own. The only modify scripts in objects I come across is very simple, free scripts that all can get easily.

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I am.... surprised. I could modify it, the "0.01 in its Y dimention" wasn't an issue at all. I just selected the separate parts, and edited them. It is very few parts, the sink, the cabinet and faucet is one mesh object, I could manipulate the size just as I wanted. Same with the other parts.

It show as no mod when I unpacked it. Everything with a script in it show as no mod, because the script is no mod. Something I can understand, a mod script can everybody in SL copy and sell as their own. The only modify scripts in objects I come across is very simple, free scripts that all can get easily.

Yeah, I have no idea now why I remembered thinking it was no-mod at first. As you say, if a script or anything else contained in an object is no-mod, the object itself will show as no-mod in inventory, but when rezzed the object itself will show its true permissions. (This is just how permissions are shown, not about "slam bit" tricks where the actual permission can change upon rezzing.) The part that can't shrink in its Y-dimension, the little drain-cover disk, is hard to even grab individually except by cycling through the separate links one at a time—often a handy thing to do anyway.

A personal pet peeve about these scripts: All but one of them should be set Modify to comply with the AVsitter license agreement or else must be accompanied with instructions about how to obtain their source code. (The one about the male attachment, though, likely has more restrictive licensing.) The reason it bothers me is that creators are so protective of their own license terms yet violate those AVsitter terms more often than not.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I don't do hunts, and I will rarely pick up a gift anywhere. About the only time I will even bother with a gift is if it's being given by one of my favorite creators/shops. I just hate sorting and straining to find anything I really want to use from the multitude of 'gifts'. So, nope I'd rather forgo finding a jewel if I have to sort through all kinds of items that will simply go straight to my trash folder to find it. 

And though this is my viewpoint, I'd never say it directly to a creator or start a thread about it because it's just rude to do so. My momma taught me well - never look a gift horse in the mouth and it's the thought that counts. You don't like a gift then you quietly put it away or discard it. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Codex Alpha said:

A free gift should be the highest quality because it is a reflection on everything else you make. Giving away free stuff also lets people sample what you can do, and they will buy just because that product was awesome. Mod/copy - I don't care, that's their choice. Quality > "Can I change this texture, even though I only grabbed it because I already like the wood finish?"

There was a bit of junk there and outdated stuff. I didnt really like it overall, because it was the typical 'pictures on boxes' type of shopping, except for the extra lag and choking on textures I'll never see usual stuff, so I skedaddled out pretty fast. Pictures on boxes? Nah, rather shop on the MP then

Next event, perhaps LL and the organizers could consider is to get each merchant to showcase 1 item only - full mesh and textures as pictures on boxes mean nothing - noone comes to look at pictures on boxes.

Yeah I tend to agree, it should be a showcase and not some old or low effort thing. I know how that sounds but surely the point of a gift is to entice people back to spend money?

I've had a few very high quality free gifts before, they do exist and some creators definitely understand this but a lot don't seem to agree. I know it's giving away work for free but it definitely seems like a spend money to make money thing, I know the names of the things I consider high quality gifts, I use some of them frequently and have spent plenty of money on their regular priced stuff too.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Yes, there are some people who really appreciate them, especially those who don't spend money in SL and rely on freebies. I don't pick up gifts 90% of the time because I don't need them, but it increases my sense of goodwill to a creator when they offer them.

I do get that some cannot spend money in sl and freebies are appreciated. Many creators provide some really wonderful freebies that can be useful in that case. I just appreciate the thought that went into them even if I will use them or not. It is just a kind thing to do. If I really like a gift a store has put out, I will always go back and spend money at that store. They usually get a long time customer as well. All about perspective.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I don't do hunts, and I will rarely pick up a gift anywhere. About the only time I will even bother with a gift is if it's being given by one of my favorite creators/shops. I just hate sorting and straining to find anything I really want to use from the multitude of 'gifts'. So, nope I'd rather forgo finding a jewel if I have to sort through all kinds items that will simply go straight to my trash folder to find it. 

And though this is my viewpoint, I'd never say it directly to a creator or start a thread about it because it's just rude to do so. My momma taught me well - never look a gift horse in the mouth and it's the thought that counts. You don't like a gift then you quietly put it away or discard it. 

I’m a lot like this. Occasionally I will really like a free event gift or have found a new shop via their gift being a good example of what they make, but more often than not I find myself following a few creators, buying their newest releases and since I maintain a couple of alts, each with a different aesthetic, shopping for them more during major & seasonal sales. I do sometimes think it is odd when creators offer gifts that aren’t good examples of their main line unless it’s an accessory that compliments it. But I don’t expect gifts to be mod or full-featured.

• Like 3